Seagate External Hard Drive bugged

JonesTips

Hello! i have a problem with my "seagate expansion portable drive" recently i tried to move a game folder "GTA 5" from my PC to the external drive but a file suddenly stopped the process with an error and refused to be deleted when i tried to, later i unplugged and re-plugged  the device and tried to format it normally, but the drive did not respond and crashes the windows explorer if i tried to access it, i tried accessing it with linux mint and ubuntu but both seemed to be unable to mount it and access it, the hard drive seem to work fine no physical damage at all and I've only got it for like 5 months now. i tried some third party software to access or format the whole drive but when i start to scan for available drives it freezes and stop working till i unplug the drive. please let me know if you got any solution, i dont mind losing the data I've got in it they're not important; and thanks!   

try getting hirens boot cd 15.2 (Specifically that one!!) theres alot of different hard drive format and partition there's parted magic to so i would grab that. just us something like rufus to put it on a flash drive and boot off of it.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

7 minutes ago, JonesTips said:

Hello! i have a problem with my "seagate expansion portable drive" recently i tried to move a game folder "GTA 5" from my PC to the external drive but a file suddenly stopped the process with an error and refused to be deleted when i tried to, later i unplugged and re-plugged  the device and tried to format it normally, but the drive did not respond and crashes the windows explorer if i tried to access it, i tried accessing it with linux mint and ubuntu but both seemed to be unable to mount it and access it, the hard drive seem to work fine no physical damage at all and I've only got it for like 5 months now. i tried some third party software to access or format the whole drive but when i start to scan for available drives it freezes and stop working till i unplug the drive. please let me know if you got any solution, i dont mind losing the data I've got in it they're not important; and thanks!   

Try to format it, on windows use the partition manager to delete all partitions and create a new one. On Linux use GParted, delete all partitions, create a new file table, and create a new partition.

YOU WILL LOOSE AL YOUR DATA BY DOING THIS!

1 minute ago, timl132 said:

Try to format it, on windows use the partition manager to delete all partitions and create a new one. On Linux use GParted, delete all partitions, create a new file table, and create a new partition.

YOU WILL LOOSE AL YOUR DATA BY DOING THIS!

yes i tried that but it freezes and stop responding and i cant interact with it at all 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Could easily be a dead drive. Id check it with crystal disk info then warranty it.

the drive was working perfectly before, windows and linux seem to detect it but still cant access it at all.

1 minute ago, JonesTips said:

the drive was working perfectly before, windows and linux seem to detect it but still cant access it at all.

that is very common on failing hdds.