I went to Best Buy yesterday and was blown away!

Turtle Rig

Went to Best Buy yesterday with my old man to get him a tv.  While doing this I saw a 55 inch demo running.  Samsung 55" QLED Q Color Q pure color and HDR... showing off Battlefield 5 and forza then it also showed demos and man the color was soo sick.  I was blown away buy how Battlefield 5 looked like.  I have never in my life seen such vivid sick looking colors...... I mean it was too good to be true but BF5 was chugging along, and not smooth cuz it was a xbox version demo.  Anyhow I am totally sold on QLED.  However Im wondering if that is just the HDR making it look that incredible.

QLED or IPS for pc monitor ?  Man I haven't ever seen a IPS, but man that sammy tv demo blew me away.  Im totally sold on QLED but once again Im not sure how much of that is QLED and how much is HDR ,, or both . combined and what not.  They said the tv went on sale for 600 bones,, it was 900 bones at store.

I have a feeling my next monitor will be the new 49" ultra wide that is coming out later this year.  Yes I know there is already a 49" sammy however this is new one they announced.  Anyhow let me know your thoughts on QLED or HDR or both etc....

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

31 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

HDR making it look that incredible

In a brightly lit store, they crank up the saturation to the max. Looks awesome, but get it home, in darkness, and it looks unnatural...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Best Buy employees tend to just mess with the color calibration and image settings to make the picture "pop" in the harsh store lighting. 

Basically what they do is the equivalent to putting all the sliders to the right in MSI Afterburner and calling it a day.

Source: Used to work at Best Buy.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Ah QLED, what a succesful marketing campagn

So QLED TV's are very overpriced, they are in effect a normal VA panel, with an added layer type QD film added to enrich colors. 

They are indeed better than normal LCD panels, but stil lsuffer from the same drawbacks, such as being unable to produce black, and are still outclassed by OLED.

Considering QLED usualy come with a significant price premium, i Would sugest you look at OLED instead as it wouldnt cost much more , if more at all (depending on the QLED ur looking at), to go from a QLED to an OLED.

In the UK for example QLED start at £900 iirc, with most being between £1000 and £2000. For £1200 you can get an OLED.

Food for thought.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

So QLED TV's are very overpriced, they are in effect a normal VA panel, with an added layer type QD film added to enrich colors. 

They are indeed better than normal LCD panels, but stil lsuffer from the same drawbacks, such as being unable to produce black, and are still outclassed by OLED.

Considering QLED usualy come with a significant price premium, i Would sugest you look at OLED instead as it wouldnt cost much more , if more at all (depending on the QLED ur looking at), to go from a QLED to an OLED.

In the UK for example QLED start at £900 iirc, with most being between £1000 and £2000. For £1200 you can get an OLED.

Food for thought.

Nice rig man, oh and nice sound card :) I hope your using the uni xonar drivers as asus blows balls,, just wanna double check make sure your using the modded drivers.. UNI Xonar drivers...

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Food for thought.

The TV I saw, which showed BF5 and Forza and some demos was 55" QLED Q Color and blah blah for 899.99 and the guy said they had it on sale for 599.99 not to long ago.  Yes the 65 and 75 and 85" are expensive as heck, but that is the price you pay when you move up in size.  Me personally 40" is ideal for me..   Also the larger the screen size the higher the motion rate,, or LG's rendition, as all 4k tv's are 60hz , they just do motion sh*T and it looks like 120Hz ,,,, the 65 and up are 240 motion rate,,, that's twice the frames.. movies like avatar would shine on this.  

Anyhow,  I don't think LG's OLED can beat a company like Samsung's QLED,,, I wouldn't touch any tv unless its from Samsung,, as that is all I trust and the new techie is QLED and Q Color and Q pure color , and what I saw at the store is something I have never seen in my life especially for console game demo.... freakin colors are soo vivid and pop out, but if they can make the tv settings do that then we can do it too but turning up the saturation as the other brother said ?

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Nice rig man, oh and nice sound card :) I hope your using the uni xonar drivers as asus blows balls,, just wanna double check make sure your using the modded drivers.. UNI Xonar drivers...

Aye ofc im using the Uni drivers :)

My rigs getitng long in the tooth now, more so the GPU than anythign else, would love to upgrade but i cant bring myself to buy a new GPU at their current prices, i very much vote with my wallet, i cant reward companies for jacking up prices just becouse they can.

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

The TV I saw, which showed BF5 and Forza and some demos was 55" QLED Q Color and blah blah for 899.99 and the guy said they had it on sale for 599.99 not to long ago.  Yes the 65 and 75 and 85" are expensive as heck, but that is the price you pay when you move up in size.  Me personally 40" is ideal for me..   Also the larger the screen size the higher the motion rate,, or LG's rendition, as all 4k tv's are 60hz , they just do motion sh*T and it looks like 120Hz ,,,, the 65 and up are 240 motion rate,,, that's twice the frames.. movies like avatar would shine on this.  

Anyhow,  I don't think LG's OLED can beat a company like Samsung's QLED,,, I wouldn't touch any tv unless its from Samsung,, as that is all I trust and the new techie is QLED and Q Color and Q pure color , and what I saw at the store is something I have never seen in my life especially for console game demo.... freakin colors are soo vivid and pop out, but if they can make the tv settings do that then we can do it too but turning up the saturation as the other brother said ?

OLED is the better tech. Its self emmisive meaning each pixel produces its own light. This means when a pixel needs to display black, it just turns of. QLED cant do this since its still LCD, which requirs a backlight, and the back light is never turned of. Even FALD equiped LCDs have a limited number of  backlight zones , so only a section of the screens backlight can be turned of to produce a black, this results in a halo around small birght objects.

QLED is infact 'older' than OLED, since its an LCD. The Q in LED isnt 'real' Quantom Dot tech, its just a film or layer added to the screen to help filter the correct color light need. its a type of QD tech but not the 'Real/proper/best' Quantom Dot tech which is self emmisive and much much more expensive to produce which is why it hasnt been brought into consumer production, and will likely be skipped altogether in favor of MicroLED LCD technology which is self emmsive.

LG is the leader currently when it comes to Display technology advancment, they are trying to move away from the very flawed LCD technology.

Consider that all 3 LCD panel types all have major drawbacks. VA has horrible viewing angles and slow pixel response, TN has poor color accuracy, poor contrast and black levels, and bad viewing angles, IPS has IPS glow and poor blacks. Compared to older tech and the new OLED tech they all have poor pixel response, black levels and viewing angles. For pure image quality LCD as a technology is terrible, its just that its energy efficent and compact and thats why it became the norm over CRT and Plasma.

QLED is a sugar coated LCD effectivly.

Dont get me wrong QLED is better than normal LCD, and if u can snatch one for for £600 thats great, it ireally is. But if ur ok with 55" and spending ~£1000, grab an OLED (since thats the smallest they go).

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

21 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

-snip-

Just a "not properly comparable" thought.

I have basically "every" kind of panel in my possession.

I have a TN monitor, a VA QLED monitor, an IPS on telephone and an OLED LG TV.

And to be honest, aside from the TN panel, they all look stunning, then again I have to admit, that the TN panel is cheapest of them all, kinda dated and not of the highest quality of it's time either, so I cannot say how far the TN has come nowadays. As for VAs "terrible" viewing angles, I mean yes... I can certainly tell that I am not right in front of the panel, but it's not really all that bad, all it does to me is that off angle, the picture seems a little shadier and not so vivid, but no real color distortion or anything. However this perhaps depends on each panel and on individual perception, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Also from what I have seen so far, if I was to compare VA to IPS as far as colors go, to me it is (OLED) > IPS = QLED VA > VA > TN.

When I compare the QLED VA 32" Samsung I use daily as my main monitor to the 65" OLED LG TV, if we talk just about the colors, contrast and overall visual enjoyment, OLED > QLED all day.

However since OLED does have natively a problem with burn-in, it really depends on the usage of the panel. For example, I do not have a cable TV, I only use my TV as another monitor for my PC (very rarely), for movies on USB and for Netflix/Prime so I do not have any rigid elements on my screen such as a TV logo there to screw up the panel. 

Obviously it is 2019 and the OLED tech has come a long way so unless being extremely abused, the burn in probably is not going to matter for anyone using it "normally", but if it's going to be turned on daily for 10 hours on same channel, then OLED is still no bueno.

So that's just few random thoughts on the panel techs.