Asus ROG SWIFT PG278QR color banding issue

kingmustard

I bought this monitor last week and I've noticed awful color banding.

It's far worse when I increase the gamma.

Using the lowest gamma setting does not fix it.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

eb_pg278qr-banding-4.jpg

eb_pg278qr-banding-5.jpg

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i actually don;t really see any color banding in the screenshots youposted? can you maybe take a picture of the monitor with your phone or something?

Silly me!

Replaced the images. Hard to capture on a smartphone :/

10 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Silly me!

Replaced the images. Hard to capture on a smartphone :/

ouch, that is pretty bad. have you tried setting the gamma setting of your monitor to a higher value?

if that doesn't fix it you can look if in Nvidia colour settings your Output Dynamic Range is set to full. otherwise, i'm afraid you might have to RMA the monitor. :(

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

ouch, that is pretty bad. have you tried setting the gamma setting of your monitor to a higher value?

if that doesn't fix it you can look if in Nvidia colour settings your Output Dynamic Range is set to full. otherwise, i'm afraid you might have to RMA the monitor. :(

Gamma options are 1.8, 2.2 and 2.5.

1.8 is far worse.

2.2 is what is above.

2.5 is hardly any better.

eb_odr-full-1.png.e512b0551791aefecb54df4ec191bee5.png

Ebuyer is now listing it as a discontinued product, so I guess I'll contact Asus :/

Just now, kingmustard said:

Gamma options are 1.8, 2.2 and 2.5.

1.8 is far worse.

2.2 is what is above.

2.5 is hardly any better.

eb_odr-full-1.png.e512b0551791aefecb54df4ec191bee5.png

Ebuyer is now listing it as a discontinued product, so I guess I'll contact Asus :/

that sucks, as far as i know this is all you can try to get rid of this. if this doesn't work, then it is likely just a bad monitor. 

i hope you can RMA this thing!

Got a replacement today - it's no better.

It's just a rubbish monitor compared to my two £250 IPS AOC Q2577PWQ displays. I doubt I got two faulty monitors. £650 for this thing is mental. It's not as if I'm a perfectionist, you can spot it all the time and the photos above show the issue clearly.

Honestly, I don't understand why the reviews from four years ago for this monitor are so positive. That pixelation banding is abysmal and really ruins films and dark games. It's as if Asus paid them all to not mention it because it's impossible to not notice it at all times in darker scenes of films/games.

I'll stick with IPS displays, going forward. 4ms is nothing; no one can tell, especially an IPS panel at 120 Hz+.

Question is, do I get a refund or sell it to someone (eBay)? I bought it for £190, which is a bargain. However, I'd feel bad selling a monitor with such a rubbish panel to someone who reads the reviews and thinks it'll be excellent. Another issue is, it'll cost me quite a lot to post it and if (when?) they spot the same issue, they may wish to return it to me, which means me having to pay a second time for postage.

Thoughts?