Should I update my BIOS?

PortzJ

My pc when I turn on the pc it gets stuck at the windows logo then when I click the reset button on my case it boots up fine. Should I update my bios?

thanks!

Thanks,

Portz:D

How many HDD/SSD's are you using? It could be the result of a drive failing. Even though the drive may function fine when you use it, it can cause the system to hang and do other weird things. I know because I've had issues like this in the past and pulling the drive fixed my problems. Not sure if a BIOS update would help, but do so at your own risk.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I am running only one and it is a SDD

Thanks,

I turn the computer on then it shows the blue windows 10 logo and no loading circle with dots. I click the reset button on my case and it loads perfect after that

Thanks,

Re-installing Windows may be a better option than a bios update, however sometimes bios updates do provide better compatibility with certain products. Could also be a PSU issue, but my guess is as good as any. It's really trial and error when it comes to this stuff.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Yeah, I think it may be the power supply. I’ll do the windows reset and all that. And get back to you 

Thanks,

Update...

tried a powersuppy nothing changed. I will try another one

i swapped hard drives from my other computer and it worked. 

That means it’s either the sdd or I just need to reinstall Windows 10

Thanks,

Honestly, there is never something wrong with a bios update and it should be done once in a while

I reset windows 10 and nothing, still the same problem 

Thanks,

I updated the bios and it didn’t work

Thanks,

Final update....

I updated my bios, you can do this if you want but probably don’t have to.

my issue was there was something higher in the boot priority even tho it was not installed or connected to the mobo. Hope my stupidity helps others.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Mephi00 said:

Honestly, there is never something wrong with a bios update and it should be done once in a while

That is completely untrue. Absolutely untrue.

You should ONLY ever update the bios when you have reason to (like CPU support).

Why? Because bios updates can easily brick your board, and it's not worth the risk for absolutely no benefit. 

On 12/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, corrado33 said:

That is completely untrue. Absolutely untrue.

You should ONLY ever update the bios when you have reason to (like CPU support).

Why? Because bios updates can easily brick your board, and it's not worth the risk for absolutely no benefit. 

For compatability reaons or new platforms you should be on the go for new bios updates becuse the updates can fix a lot of problems.

I never heard of a board dying, when it updated its bios especially only updated with the bios of the manufacturer