NVME VS SATA III M.2 booting X58

asand1

From what I've read researching PCIe expansion m.2 booting with X58, Samsung 950 is the only option. I've also read that SATA III M.2 booting is easy but slower than NVME. As long as it is faster than my 1TB HDD I dont care, I want faster game loading and fewer cables. What do you all think about booting a Sabertooth X58 from a SATA III M.2?

I have ordered  these two.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815636001

and

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147678

I appreciate input and will post results as there are only questions online and no results either way.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just three or four days ago I installed Windows 10 on both an NVMe (970 EVO) and on a SSD, honestly I couldn't tell the difference, I'd go as for to say it was either similar or the NVMe being just 2 seconds faster.

I installed the Samsung 860 Evo M.2 on the adapter card. The only way to make it work on this adapter was using a short sata cable to plug it into the Mobo. Booting is fine, and I was able to clone the 2.5" SSD, and copy my storage over to the M.2 as well.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

i would recommend you get a pcie adpapter for your m.2 drive, so you wont be limited by sata speeds, it wont help lower your boot times, but for video scrubbing and some other random operations would benefit, cause if not it would be better to get either a sata 2.5" ssd or a sata m.2 ssd , cause limiting the 950 would be a waste if youre not gonna use the performance 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

The difference between a PCIe SSD boot drive and a SATA SSD boot drive is minimal, only in milliseconds! The main benefit of a PCIe unit is when you transfer large files because you can do so without bottlenecks, but if you are just loading a video game or your operating system, you may not get many of the advantages that a PCIe unit can offer.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

8 hours ago, Tamesh16 said:

i would recommend you get a pcie adpapter for your m.2 drive, so you wont be limited by sata speeds, it wont help lower your boot times, but for video scrubbing and some other random operations would benefit, cause if not it would be better to get either a sata 2.5" ssd or a sata m.2 ssd , cause limiting the 950 would be a waste if youre not gonna use the performance 

Not running a 950. I'm running a sata 850 on a PCIe adapter. 

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

8 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Not running a 950. I'm running a sata 850 on a PCIe adapter. 

I do not really like adapters, I do not recommend them, I'm an enthusiast just in case and definitely not a hater, it's just that you're adding more equipment and that implies more problem solving that needs to be done, and we may not be testing the real performance either. unit because it is not connected directly to the motherboard. To get better results on your numbers and landmarks, you must better connect the unit to the MOBO without there being anything between them. I have seen people rejected in their RMA request because the unit is not connected directly to the motherboard, but to something else and that opens a window for the manufacturers to blame it on their equipment and not on the unit.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

I do not really like adapters, I do not recommend them, I'm an enthusiast just in case and definitely not a hater, it's just that you're adding more equipment and that implies more problem solving that needs to be done, and we may not be testing the real performance either. unit because it is not connected directly to the motherboard. To get better results on your numbers and landmarks, you must better connect the unit to the MOBO without there being anything between them. I have seen people rejected in their RMA request because the unit is not connected directly to the motherboard, but to something else and that opens a window for the manufacturers to blame it on their equipment and not on the unit.

X58 doesn't have an m.2 slot, x58 generally won't boot from mvne so sata was the only real option. At any rate it's much faster than my 1tb HDD was.

Your points are valid, but not applicable to my system.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

23 hours ago, asand1 said:

X58 doesn't have an m.2 slot, x58 generally won't boot from mvne so sata was the only real option. At any rate it's much faster than my 1tb HDD was.

Your points are valid, but not applicable to my system.

Oh, I see! Now I understand why you bought the adapter. In this type of configuration, it is always important to do a firmware update, look at the manufacturer's page if there are also updates available for the BIOS.

25 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Oh, I see! Now I understand why you bought the adapter. In this type of configuration, it is always important to do a firmware update, look at the manufacturer's page if there are also updates available for the BIOS.

Without UEFI an X58 BIOS update isn't going to help. If I wanted to use DUET as a band aid and do a bunch of fuckery I could then use a $300 NVME M.2, but why?

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

Maybe not buying a new SSD ... But firmware updates in many cases may help, who knows! I will do more good than harm since it will have an updated system.