AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Bottlenecking

1991luk

Hello everyone!

I have this CPU in my main PC which is used normally for gaming or at least that what's been used for.

In March this year I sold my GTX 560 Ti because its price was getting even lower on a second hand forum locally and I got to sell it for a great deal.

Now,8 months later,I want to replace the card cause God knows I've been craving for a triple A title for a long time.

I want someone's opinion on my choice.I think I'll go for an AMD R9 270 (not X) Gaming OC from MSI and overclock that even further.

How much better is going to be this card over my old GTX 560Ti and how much is it going to be bottlenecked (with the Phenom II X4 955 @3.9 GHZ)?

Thank you all,I am looking forward to reading your replies!

It won't be bottlenecked and I would look up some reviews on the 270 in some triple a Games :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

It shouldn't bottleneck, not sure about the performance, but it should be a good deal faster.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is hard to say the 270 should be alot better then the 560ti thats for sure. When I bought my card GTX 770 Lightning my 1100T Overclocked was bottlenecking my GPU I went ahead and upgraded to a 8350 and all was fine after that. That being said I think you 955BE might be ok but I still think you will se a bottleneck with that CPU.  

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

Even at 3.9ghz daily? I have 8GB of samsung low voltage ram but it seems like i can't overclock them over 1600mhz :(.I'm getting 1600mhz CL8 memory,though...

For a while,I tought I'll buy a GTX 660 and I was worried about that gpu being bottlenecked...Now I was thinking about a 760 but it costs a lot of money and to be frankly with you guys,I don't want to spend any more money on this rig for now.I will probably upgrade my rig when DDR4 and "mainstream" i7 with 6 cores will be brought on the table.

Hi, i have a similar spec pc than you and i would say it would be fine with a R9-270 as long as you play reasonably medium game settings.

With my 7970 I notice very little bottlenecking on my CPU as it runs roughly 80-90% utilization

My Rig - Intel 4670K (4.3Ghz) Cooler Noctua NH-C14| Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H | 16GB GSkill 1866MHz | Gigabyte 7970 OC  | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Thermaltake Overseer RX-I  | Thermaltake TP Qfan 750w

Brothers rig- AMD FX-6100(4.1 GHz) | Gigabyte 990FXA -D3 | 8GB GSkill 1866MHz | Sapphire 7870 Ghz OC  | Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb | Antec 900 v3  | Antec Neopower Blue 650w

Hello everyone!

I have this CPU in my main PC which is used normally for gaming or at least that what's been used for.

In March this year I sold my GTX 560 Ti because its price was getting even lower on a second hand forum locally and I got to sell it for a great deal.

Now,8 months later,I want to replace the card cause God knows I've been craving for a triple A title for a long time.

I want someone's opinion on my choice.I think I'll go for an AMD R9 270 (not X) Gaming OC from MSI and overclock that even further.

How much better is going to be this card over my old GTX 560Ti and how much is it going to be bottlenecked (with the Phenom II X4 955 @3.9 GHZ)?

Thank you all,I am looking forward to reading your replies!

youll be fine, I had the same cpu but I got a 7870 tahiti and I noticed a bit of stuttering on very high in crysis but that was the only game I ever had problems with and I just turned it down to high and it was fine. One suggestion I have is to maybe try and get a 7950 there pretty cheap with the new cards beening release and youll see a good step up compared to a r9 270 but either way there won't be any bottlenecking

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

i think the only bottleneck in your system is that 560ti Vram friend

(your Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition is a true Gamer CPU)

Hi, i have a similar spec pc than you and i would say it would be fine with a R9-270 as long as you play reasonably medium game settings.

With my 7970 I notice very little bottlenecking on my CPU as it runs roughly 80-90% utilization

What do you mean by medium settings?I finished Far Cry 3 @ fullHD with ultra high settings on my GTX 560 Ti.Even Crysis 3 used to run that way,with over 30fps average. (I used to keep my 560 Ti over 1GHZ which was pretty beast back then...)

I hope I'll raise the money neccessary for this upgrade.Haven't played in a looong loong time.My PC sends video signal over an ATI X300 graphics card (my GA-870A UD3 motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics...)and I am playing on a glossy Dell IPS monitor which is fantastic so far.

As far as I understood from Linus,PCI-E Gen3 vs Gen2 will not mean a bottleneck,right?

As far as I understood from Linus,PCI-E Gen3 vs Gen2 will not mean a bottleneck,right?

true, i even am using my 7850 on a PCIe x16 1.0 and run awesome  :lol:

try out and get a good graphics card first then if it is bottlenecking then you can pick up a FX CPU 6 or 8 core for pretty cheap now.

got to love Asus components

560 TI  <  7850 

570 = 7850 OC

580 = 7870

There is no bottleneck with the card you want. And if there is, is the same as it was with the 560 ti

My motherboard doesn't support FX cpu's even if it supposed to ... I think I'll go for the 270X,still Msi.In my country it isn't a 20$ difference,it's less.

Today I heard the first great news in a while,my 500mb internet is coming soon and I can't wait to download using utorrent with 60mb/s.

I have the same CPU as you. Unfortunately, I can only OC the damn thing (I failed at the lottery I think) to 3.5Ghz. What are you using to OC?

Anyways, I asked this question a little while back about the 7970 at the time, it seemed like the answer I was getting was that it wouldn't bottleneck much and that PCIE 2.0 really has no difference (less than 1%) compared to PCIE 3. So you should be fine on that end.

I'm really debating buying a r9 290 (non reference) and seeing how that works compared to my HD 4870, then upgrading everything else later. I'm in the same boat as you, I can't just switch out CPUs as I would need a new board as well. I am hoping that with Mantle and the high end GPU, it will mean I can easily wait a year before I really need to change out the rest of my system. I don't plan on playing many games, probably BF4 and Star Citizen - both of which should be supporting Mantle and hopefully allow me to do this for a little bit.

I sorta bought a MSI GTX 760 HAWK LE (lite edition) because it was a great deal and I kinda had some spare money for the video card...What do you guys think?

I sorta bought a MSI GTX 760 HAWK LE (lite edition) because it was a great deal and I kinda had some spare money for the video card...What do you guys think?

is a great card friend  ^_^ (i love the dual fan)

Can't wait to see if i can get it to OC at 1.2ghz.The normal HAWK card is about 40 dollars more and that's why I wanted to do the OC myself.

reading this made me feel a lot better because i have the same CPU but wanted to upgrade from powercolor 4870 1gb version to gtx 760 gigabyte and i was worried it might bottleneck  it now i am not worried anymore 

yaaaay!!

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Hell no, there is zero bottleneck at that CPU ( or 0.001  lol ), I've got mine running at stock speed with a GTX 660 SC and the performance is greater than I could ever expect.

For the GPU part, I wouldn't go for a 270(x) if I were you.

Go for atleast a 280(x) or a GTX 660(ti) or a 760.

That's what I recommend and is the best thing you can do :-)

Join the 955 Black edition club  B)

GL buddy!

reading this made me feel a lot better because i have the same CPU but wanted to upgrade from powercolor 4870 1gb version to gtx 760 gigabyte and i was worried it might bottleneck  it now i am not worried anymore 

yaaaay!!

Your CPU will definitely not bottleneck a GTX 760 ( Stock, SC, OC, Any ). :D

I got the MSI 760 HAWK Lite Edition.I will overclock it so it will become a HAWK and I bought it at a R9 270X price.It runs great!Thank you everybody!

P.S. It barely fits in my NZXT Gamma :)