moving os to an ssd

jarreddean

Whats the best way to move an os such as win 8 pro to an ssd ?

Acronis True Image 2013 and make an image copy of your current operating system at it's current point, then basically follow the instructions.Once everything is copied, unplug the old hard drive from the system and only keep the SSD in. Then Acronis will boot up from the SSD making that your new C drive. Then in the BIOS settings, make your SSD first in the boot order. Then go into the OS and delete the old one from your hard drive and all of the stuff that was copied over.

If too much stuff is on the HDD, then simply re-install W8 on to the SSD and boot up through that. Then move all of the user settings and other stuff over to the SSD while you are in the OS, and delete the OS stuff off of the old HDD. Use the HDD for bulk stuff such as programs, videos, pictures, documents... etc. Don't forget to make the SSD first in the boot order in your BIOS

pnBIF.gif?1

I personally prefer a fresh install over an IMAGE, just seems to have better stability whenever i try it.

If you want to do fresh install onto your SSD and you have windows 8 on your HDD:

BACK UP your important data from your HDD to an external drive. ( just incase something goes wrong )

Power down, connect SSD, disconnect HDD.

Enter BIOS, with Windows Disc in the disc drive, change boot priority from HDD > Disc Drive / Optical Drive

Reboot

Install Windows onto your SSD ( should be only drive visible if you disconnected your HDD )

Reboot, enter BIOS again and change boot priority from Optical Drive > SSD

Enter Windows, ensure everything is in working order,

Shut down, reconnect HDD

Boot into Windows.

Finito :)

I would do a complete re-install. Acronis is good but its always good to just start fresh.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I would do a complete re-install. Acronis is good but its always good to just start fresh.
You will need the XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX code that you used to activate windows the first time yes. If I'm not mistaken you can find it in. System Properties - Windows Activation.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.