Tobben's 4P Build Log, 48 core folder. (mini-Malossi)

<...useful info...>

Having just ordered a Supermicro board with IPMI capability myself, I might at some

point get back to you with a question or two on this if that's alright. I the meantime,

thanks for the info! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3432785&postcount=115

and you think you had it hard. tsssk tsssk my friend tsssk tsssk

i would honestly mount that 3 times rather than mounting my heatsinks once, sure it's more time consuming but it's a clean process, not something that gives you numerous heart attacks shivering hands and generally feeling like throwing up :P would definitely want 2 people when setting up that though ..  i wonder how he got the cooling solution for the chips, and how it was to attach, now that is pretty dammn boss!

Never seen such a thing in my life, unless for server purposes. Pretty sweet dude, your probably in a very exclusive club to be a private owner of such hardware.

thanks!

funny thing that you would mention a club .... 

*proceeds to refer to club at the forum*

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62567-the-2p4p-owners-club/?hl=club

some random temps.

post-955-0-27752800-1383842473_thumb.jpg

and some numbers, mini-Malossi is the 4p machine (well obviously), i think i should be able to get a bit better performance out of it.

post-955-0-57890800-1383842655_thumb.jpg

that is 454k not 45k :P

Having just ordered a Supermicro board with IPMI capability myself, I might at some

point get back to you with a question or two on this if that's alright. I the meantime,

thanks for the info! :)

sure, glad to be of any help  :)

some random temps.

attachicon.gifDSC_0398.jpg

and some numbers, mini-Malossi is the 4p machine (well obviously), i think i should be able to get a bit better performance out of it.

attachicon.gifDSC_0406.jpg

that is 454k not 45k :P

man, that's like idle temps!  How's the temp in your room before and after?   :lol:

My Rigs (past and present)

sure, glad to be of any help  :)

man, that's like idle temps!  How's the temp in your room before and after?   :lol:

well .. let's just put it like this .. my windows haven't even been closed once this past week, at the hottest the cpu temps peaked at 48 *c so i guess you can say when it becomes toasty  it's about 6 *c warmer in the room than normal, im pretty sure it was 30*c inside here at one point :P it's always kinda lukewarm but for the most part not to bad, and winter is coming! il see if il try do some overclocking once the winter really kicks in, right now it's about 10ish *c outside.

to hell with warranty as i have already been drilling in the motherboard...

the funny thing is .. the machine is standing fairly high towards the roof, and heat rises so whenever i stand up my head enters the "hot" zone while the cold air from the window draft sinks right to the floor.

well i just had a flash of genious, just came up with a hilarious idea that i think is fantastic for mounting a fan (it involves the leftover rails i still have), i might do a small update in the very near future if it works out, there are some minor changes here and there but nothing major.

ok so here is the brilliant idea i had ...

post-955-0-87013400-1384248976_thumb.jpg

baiscly sawed off a couple of pieces of the old rail, added a screw and a couple of nuts to it.

(yes i am very aware that this picture is revolting :P)

post-955-0-89297200-1384248986_thumb.jpg

attached it to my fan in the most beatiful manner possible.

post-955-0-64817500-1384249002_thumb.jpg

added 4 needles to my shelf, the whole point was to do as little dammage to my shelf as possible.

post-955-0-70091900-1384249010_thumb.jpg

and voila!, i have my own tool less fan mounting, i think i will call it ... "tobbens fan mod" in spirit of it's father musky mod. (just joking obviously :P)

this is the current state of the system, added a drive, basic cable management from the shelf and down to my desk, a couple more fans, i might actually remove the fan because i don't think it's needed, just added a fan to get some minor airflow under the board further in the back, it's also blowing directly at one of the heatsinks, i wanted to mount it low because i didn't want it to disturb the overall airflow i got going right now thats pushing the general heat backwards, if anything i would have prefered it being lower, as i said no major changes, but bits and pieces here and there.

it is however starting to get abit loud with all these fans... the micro fan still manages to be the loudest one because of the annoying high pitched noise, at one point i did considering undervolting it, but my gut says that wouldn't turn out to well.

@tobben

May i know how you have installed the wood to the L plates?Did you rivet it on,or use coarse thread screws?Also is there like a pointy screw stub on top of the wood?If yes how did you cover it up?

Thanks.

@tobben

May i know how you have installed the wood to the L plates?Did you rivet it on,or use coarse thread screws?Also is there like a pointy screw stub on top of the wood?If yes how did you cover it up?

Thanks.

of all the things someone actually asks me about the shelf :P, theres no magic or special tricks sorry to say, they are just normal pointy screws but fairly short, so they don't go through the shelf.

of all the things someone actually asks me about the shelf :P, theres no magic or special tricks sorry to say, they are just normal pointy screws but fairly short, so they don't go through the shelf.

:( My wooden boards are very,very thin(less than 5mm) while my screws are like 1.5 inches...

I do have another question,did you screw the screws from the bottom or top?

Thanks.

*If you want to know why I am doing this,my mother saying screwing the case directly on the wall through the side panel pencil shaped slots is too ridiculous,and thus i need to do this instead for my domain controller/folding/workstation build.

:( My wooden boards are very,very thin(less than 5mm) while my screws are like 1.5 inches...

Thanks.

*If you want to know why I am doing this,my mother saying screwing the case directly on the wall through the side panel pencil shaped slots is too ridiculous,and thus i need to do this instead for my domain controller/folding/workstation build.

haha, great :P, well in my case they are screwed from the bottom up, they don't go through the board, so looking at the top of the board it has no imperfections, no screws no holes no nothing, you got to make sure it's sturdy though, as what you are going to put on it probably has some decent wight to it? and probably costs a fair bit of money.

i guess you could drill a hole from the top down then put a bolt + washer through it and have a hex nut on the other side but that's not an elegant solution in the slightest.... im sure you can come up with something alot better.

Thanks.

That's paper thin!  I would just use glue or double sided tape.  As long as the L brackets are secure.  If not get flat head screw+nut and bolt it from top down.  The tapered screw would at least let it be flush to the board.

haha, great :P, well in my case they are screwed from the bottom up, they don't go through the board, so looking at the top of the board it has no imperfections, no screws no holes no nothing, you got to make sure it's sturdy though, as what you are going to put on it probably has some decent wight to it? and probably costs a fair bit of money.

i guess you could drill a hole from the top down then put a bolt + washer through it and have a hex nut on the other side but that's not an elegant solution in the slightest.... im sure you can come up with something alot better.

The only other option is aluminum rivets,and they are too small for those holes...maybe i will use zip ties instead.

Oh yeah one moar question:Did you use M4(with M5 Plug) or M5(with M6 plug) countersinks to secure the L plates onto the wall?Or is it something else?

Thanks.

That's paper thin!  I would just use glue or double sided tape.  As long as the L brackets are secure.  If not get flat head screw+nut and bolt it from top down.  The tapered screw would at least let it be flush to the board.

The main purpose of using screws on the board is to prevent it from toppling from the L plates.There is only 4 of them to hold 3 boards in place.Furthermore the hole on the edge of 2 of the L plates cannot be utilized because they are in between 2 boards.

Also bolt and nuts are too big to go through the L plates tiny(yet big for rivets) hole.Thus that is not an option.

I think that zip ties still makes the most sense right now.

The main purpose of using screws on the board is to prevent it from toppling from the L plates.There is only 4 of them to hold 3 boards in place.Furthermore the hole on the edge of 2 of the L plates cannot be utilized because they are in between 2 boards.

Also bolt and nuts are too big to go through the L plates tiny(yet big for rivets) hole.Thus that is not an option.

you should be able to find some pretty thin bolts, i used some 4mm bolt + hex nut in my setup, i think you should be able to find ones that are a wee bit smaller than that aswell.

could even expand the holes on the L bracket? unless they are SUPER slim.

you should be able to find some pretty thin bolts, i used some 4mm bolt + hex nut in my setup.

Well there isn't anything near that size at the hardware store.All of them are HUGE.

Is zip tie strong enough?I don't wanna poke my fingers every time i service that rig.

Well there isn't anything near that size at the hardware store.All of them are HUGE.

Is zip tie strong enough?I don't wanna poke my fingers every time i service that rig.

you could try asking "hey, i need a short and thin screw that i can have a hex nut on" or something like that :P

well zip ties might hold, i don't know how you will be mounting it or exactly what you are going to put on it so it's hard to say .. if it's expensive and heavy i wouldn't really want to take any chances if i were you.

worst case scenario i guess you could try have a couple of zip ties on each side rather than just one .. well anyays im off to work, so good luck, you have a few options, try to choose the best one.

Ah, I wasn't sure how big your brackets are.  For a heavy stuff (you said computer), I always put brackets at least 3/4 the width of the board (especially thin ones).  Too bad you can't find bolt the right width.  If you're handy, you can make bigger hole or cut the extra length with hack saw and file it.

zip ties? Ghetto rigging is ALWAYS an option  :D .

they are strong, as long as you don't use skimpy ones.  At least 3/16" (4.5mm) width.  And double up in the rear, in case one snaps.  Cut and file.

may I say good job! That looks great. Would you consider putting it into a test bench? maybe with some more fan mounts? 

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

you could try asking "hey, i need a short and thin screw that i can have a hex nut on" or something like that :P

well zip ties might hold, i don't know how you will be mounting it or exactly what you are going to put on it so it's hard to say .. if it's expensive and heavy i wouldn't really want to take any chances if i were you.

worst chance scenario i guess you could try have a couple of zip ties on each side rather than just one .. well anyays im off to work, so good luck, you have a few options, try to choose the best one.

They dun have thin nuts at all...

Definitely should play safe,the motherboard is not cheap.

I guess i will ask them if they have large enough rivets then.Hope the aluminium ones are strong enough.

Ah, I wasn't sure how big your brackets are.  For a heavy stuff (you said computer), I always put brackets at least 3/4 the width of the board (especially thin ones).  Too bad you can't find bolt the right width.  If you're handy, you can make bigger hole or cut the extra length with hack saw and file it.

zip ties? Ghetto rigging is ALWAYS an option  :D .

they are strong, as long as you don't use skimpy ones.  At least 3/16" (4.5mm) width.  And double up in the rear, in case one snaps.  Cut and file.

My is 6"x8" if i am not wrong.Black version of the boomerang shape thing @tobben is using.My board is only slightly wider than that.

I think i will go safe,coz the motherboard will be either a P9X79-E WS,Z9PE-D8 WS or a Rampage Black.And all of them costs at least 700$ SGD.Which is at least the price of the R9 290/GTX780.

Is aluminium rivets strong?I am scared they will either break off after some time,or the wood will rip off from it.

PS:

I am not strong enough to press even the smallest rivets down on the hand rivet gun properly,i needed a hammer to do the job.Hope this does not harm the strength and durability of the rivet in any way...

may I say good job! That looks great. Would you consider putting it into a test bench? maybe with some more fan mounts? 

well tbh i probably won't, even if i did i wouldn't get any numbers that are comparable to the generic benchmarks you normally use, i would have to find a multi cpu benchmarking tool for ubuntu which as a matter of fact .. i just found one that supposedly measures the gflops, the performance probably wouldn't be that ammazing anyway, it sure has a decent number of cores but each individual core isn't THAT fast.

well tbh i probably won't, even if i did i wouldn't get any numbers that are comparable to the generic benchmarks you normally use, i would have to find a multi cpu benchmarking tool for ubuntu which as a matter of fact .. i just found one that supposedly measures the gflops, the performance probably wouldn't be that ammazing anyway, it sure has a decent number of cores but each individual core isn't THAT fast.

oh well it doesnt matter, just something to make the rig more 'pretty' or 'showy'. sorry cant think of better words. Also something to hide cables and ugly parts.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

oh well it doesnt matter, just something to make the rig more 'pretty' or 'showy'. sorry cant think of better words. Also something to hide cables and ugly parts.

well i might do it sometime in the future just for the lols, atleast you can see my ppd in folding even though that doesn't say a whole lot, as for the cables and whatnot, to be honest with you i don't mind them, in my opinion that's part of the charm when it comes to a system like this, i think running the system naked like this is great, being able to see everything, if anything i prefer it being a tiny bit messy, if i didn't i would have taken away the optical drive :P, having cables hanging down from my shelf was just plain stupid though so i got them glued to the wall with some stealthy white rubber tubes.

Very nice 4p/48 core rig

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715