LTE vs 3G vs 2G vs 1G vs 1x vs Extended 1x vs Extended 3G

EthanTheFrogMan

I am on a trip where cell service is iffy at best, I have an iPhone 6 and am curious, it usually has LTE(like 4G), vs 3G vs 2G(does that exist? vs 1G(does that exist?) vs Extended 1x and Extended 3G which I have been getting while on the trip, like how bad is 1x? Is there a list that ranks them among their speeds?

thx guys

Difference+Between+1G,+2G,+2.5G,+3G+and+

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Well with experience, 4G usually is equal to my WiFi speeds in terms of web surfing. Mass downloading wise, my WiFi still rules.

3G Is noticeably slower than 4G, best noticed when loading images and videos.

2G Can barely handle web browsing, not to say images.

1G is Obsolete, it is used very long ago for messaging, might still be.

There is still HSPA+/EDGE which is H+ on most phones and is midways between 4G and 3G.

My LTE speed in the city below, in comparison 3G is about 2-3mbp/s irl, 4G is about 25-30 depending on coverage but frequency wise is less affected by the elements compared to 4GX LTE. 2G is no longer available in most areas.

jz1p9Qy.jpgin

2G is analog speech and text messaging only. There was a rudimentary Internet tech for it called WAP too. You can sometimes find those sites still. :) Mostly text only, tiny pictures and so on. Good times. 1G was before that. Before even GSM. In Nothern Europe (Finland, the birthplace of mobile tech FTW!) the first generation used NMT at protocol at 450MHz. In the US and some other places they used AMPS at 850MHz, close to waht the 2G GSM was, actually. In any case, 1G is long since gone and buried. It was definitely analog speech only.

With any modern device, you should definitely not go below 3G for data.

2G is analog speech and text messaging only. There was a rudimentary Internet tech for it called WAP too. You can sometimes find those sites still. :) Mostly text only, tiny pictures and so on. Good times. 1G was before that. Before even GSM. In Nothern Europe (Finland, the birthplace of mobile tech FTW!) the first generation used NMT at protocol at 450MHz. In the US and some other places they used AMPS at 850MHz, close to waht the 2G GSM was, actually. In any case, 1G is long since gone and buried. It was definitely analog speech only.

With any modern device, you should definitely not go below 3G for data.

Good old WAP...

Been using this all the way until my provider disabled it... I didn't know some WAP websites are still in use!

BTW: I'm still using 2G when I'm on mobile internet LOL

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Good old WAP...

Been using this all the way until my provider disabled it... I didn't know some WAP websites are still in use!

BTW: I'm still using 2G when I'm on mobile internet LOL

Patience is a virtue! :D Yeah, I guess there's still demand for them. Sometimes I like to switch the www. with wap. to see if sites I visit still support it. I just found 10 million hits on Google. I guess it's a thing still.

• 2 years later...

Locked - old thread