Intel Core i3 4170 vs Pentium G3258

My system is currently running 12gb of ram and an r9 270. If I get the pentium ill overclock, and eventualy in both options I would upgrade to an i5. Is the i3 or the pentium a better gaming option?

i3 would be way better. Dual cores are ded

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

I have the i3 4170. It's fantastic. I'd choose it over the Pentium. Some games won't even launch on a dual core.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

If you are 100% going to upgrade go with the pentium and a cheap h81 mobo if you don't plan on ocing the i5 or a z97 one if you do

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My system is currently running 12gb of ram and an r9 270. If I get the pentium ill overclock, and eventualy in both options I would upgrade to an i5. Is the i3 or the pentium a better gaming option?

i3, some games straight up do not run well on two non-hyperthreaded cores any more. Today the Pentium is little more than a toy for overclockers.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I would think it would make more sense to just spend the little extra more now and get an i5 vice either the Pentium or i3. Spending less in the long run this way.

get a FX 6300 or Intel Core i5 44xx

if you think i am shitting you with the FX

in short...

i5 is best... FX 6300 is second best choice in terms of price to performance.

There is no getting around this. videos is all the evidence you need.

FX 6300 is around 85-95 USD

i5 4460 is around 155-170 USD

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i3 would be way better. Dual cores are ded

i3 is a dual core (yes I know it has Hyperthreading but still is a dual core)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

in short...

i5 is best... FX 6300 is second best choice in terms of price to performance.

There is no getting around this. videos is all the evidence you need.

FX 6300 is around 85-95 USD

i5 4460 is around 155-170 USD

^^^^

Basically games are starting to take advantage of more cores/threads. If you get an i3 or Pentium you are probably getting a budget motherboard that will limit you in the future in terms of upgrading. You can get a FX 6300 and motherboard combo for just over $100 (still less than the i3 alone) then you can save up for better Intel build with a better Motherboard and CPU at the same time.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City