Could Wireless Charging be the Universal "Cable"

Maximoose

Wireless charging is showing up all over the place, and there is a standard technology for it (Qi), could it someday be the universal means of charging things? Maybe one day you could put your iPhone on the same wireless charger you put your Samsung on.

What do you think?

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

well that would be handy for me

my 6s+ dies before half of the day..

so i can just ez put the power bank and my iphone and BAM its charging!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Wireless charging is showing up all over the place, and there is a standard technology for it (Qi), could it someday be the universal means of charging things? Maybe one day you could put your iPhone on the same wireless charger you put your Samsung on.

What do you think?

Apple won't even let you use the same CABLE as you're Samsung phone, what makes you think that they'd do anything that isn't proprietary?  Seriously, people are lucky that Apple AirPorts use WiFi instead of something proprietary, at a unique frequency range that Apple bought the rights to in an FCC auction and then dubbed it 'AppleFi'.

Any existing cable could easily be a universal cable if everybody supported it. There's nothing keeping Apple from using USB-C instead of Lightning and then everybody else could use USB-C and then that would be the universal cable. I actually think Qi would be less likely than that because it is much more limiting in the form factors it would work with (I think) and has no included data transfer.

There already exists a wireless charging case for iphones so you can do that today

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

All comes down to customers. If resistance for Apples own chargers and batteries is strong enough, they will have to go with what others do. And loose money since they didn't do it right from the beginning.

I thought this was more about could Qi pr similar technology be standard for all charging in future. I would hope so. I would also hope that it becomes powerful enough for monitors and laptops. You could buy whole table top cover of charging surface and have one wire leave to central network. Wireless video and audio signals are already a thing so that would be ultimate wireless desktop environment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You could have an agreed upon industry standard, but I doubt it would ever happen.

Except for sealed applications necessary for harsh environments wireless charging is an inefficient gimmick.

So far, wireless charging is useless.

You have to be within range of the base - May as well use a cable. (get a 10footer)

It's horribly inefficient and wastes a majority of the energy going through it.

It's more sh*t that has to fit into mobile device.

And it's more radiation being pumped through an already EM saturated environment.

As for a standard - USB itself was 'universal' but see how much that's been spilt apart!

Apple doesn't play nice with others and doesn't share so I would say most likely no.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No, because Apple. pretty much. What, you think they're gonna give up their market? Pshaw...