Laptop Heating Up at Idle

Hey guys! My laptop is having some weird thermal happenings. At idle, the CPU is between 63 and 68 Celcius. While running one Google Chrome tab, it's between 70 and 75. I started running IntelBurnTest and it was between 76 and 83. This laptop had started having thermal shut downs when the warranty had just expired (December 2012). In July 2015, I bought Arctic Silver 5 and ArcticClean, plus 8GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM and a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD. It worked like a charm now! This week, I cleaned out the dust inside and, when I took off the heatsink, the Arctic Silver had degraded to 30% of what I had applied. What should I do besides building me a computer?(that might have to wait a bit)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Put more thermal paste on?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Dude, that's a waste and I'm trying to save some for my upcoming build

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Good point though

Good point though

One does not simply

Put new thermal paste on

Lol it's $6.49 on Newegg chill it

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Good point though

Wait, what?  It's a waste and a good point? :P

Anyways, while those idle temps do seem awfully high, the load temps actually seem just fine.  My laptop's CPU will hit low 90s if it's pinned with the GPU working as well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

One does not simply

Put new thermal paste on

Lol it's $6.49 on Newegg chill it

Also, the reason it was thermal shut downing was because the original thermal paste dried up. Same thing with this one. I'm inclined to believe it's the processor.

Anyways, while those idle temps do seem awfully high, the load temps actually seem just fine.  My laptop's CPU will hit low 90s if it's pinned with the GPU working as well.

The fan wasn't even going at high speed. It only does that with Halo, TF2, Portal 2, and Robocraft. I'll try that next

Hey guys! My laptop is having some weird thermal happenings. At idle, the CPU is between 63 and 68 Celcius. While running one Google Chrome tab, it's between 70 and 75. I started running IntelBurnTest and it was between 76 and 83. This laptop had started having thermal shut downs when the warranty had just expired (December 2012). In July 2015, I bought Arctic Silver 5 and ArcticClean, plus 8GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM and a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD. It worked like a charm now! This week, I cleaned out the dust inside and, when I took off the heatsink, the Arctic Silver had degraded to 30% of what I had applied. What should I do besides building me a computer?(that might have to wait a bit)

the heatpipe might have a broken seal. Check if the furthest point of the heatpipe actually transfer heat. If not hear you go. Cheap fix

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Good point about his good point though

Also, the reason it was thermal shut downing was because the original thermal paste dried up. Same thing with this one. I'm inclined to believe it's the processor.

If new thermal paste fixed it once it'll fix it again. Just because it's a temporary fix doesn't make it a bad one.

the heatpipe might have a broken seal. Check if the furthest point of the heatpipe actually transfer heat. If not hear you go. Cheap fix

Will do bro. I'll check back with ya in less than a minute

If new thermal paste fixed it once it'll fix it again. Just because it's a temporary fix doesn't make it a bad one.

I'm hoping to convince my parents to get me PC parts and end this once and for all. Good point though