Uh.. Did I get the right wattage for my power supply?

Matities

Hey,

Ok so small problem (?), I recently bought the power supply for my new PC I plan to build (First ever build) but I'm scared that the wattage won't be enough.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/72Xg99

PCPartPicker says 385 watts but I have to take into account that those are just estimates, and I want to leave some slight room for upgradability (Nothing serious, just a hard drive upgrade maybe.)

I have a 430 watt CORSAIR CX430M 80+ Bronze Certified PSU not listed on the PCPartPicker link.

IF 430 watts is not enough for a 385 build then I could opt out for a GTX 960 instead of the power hungry R9 380.

So am I just worrying for nothing? Or is my PSU inadequate? 

Thanks in advance,

Mateo

Hey,

Ok so small problem (?), I recently bought the power supply for my new PC I plan to build (First ever build) but I'm scared that the wattage won't be enough.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/72Xg99

PCPartPicker says 385 watts but I have to take into account that those are just estimates, and I want to leave some slight room for upgradability (Nothing serious, just a hard drive upgrade maybe.)

I have a 430 watt CORSAIR CX430M 80+ Bronze Certified PSU not listed on the PCPartPicker link.

IF 430 watts is not enough for a 385 build then I could opt out for a GTX 960 instead of the power hungry R9 380.

So am I just worrying for nothing? Or is my PSU inadequate? 

Thanks in advance,

Mateo

Welcome to the Forum.

The CX series is known to be generally terrible in the first place. I'd personally go for a good 500w.

Sig under construction.

The wattage will be enough, however you have to be very careful that the PSU doesn't get too hot, otherwise it will not have enough power to run the system. Also from personal experience with an i5-4690k and a single GTX 960 my system only drew about 250 watts from the wall, so the PC Part Picker estimate is a massive over shoot. With two GTX 960's and an i5-4690k I don't draw much more than 400 watts.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You will be fine with that PSU. But I would change out your CPU and Mobo for a i3 4170.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

-snip-

Those have been used so much that they're really just becoming very trollish.

The CX series is known to be generally terrible in the first place. I'd personally go for a good 500w.

They're not terrible, they're just not as good as other PSU's in their price bracket, the only reason why they're not good is because they have inferior capacitors and a low heat acceptance level.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

They're not terrible, they're just not as good as other PSU's in their price bracket, the only reason why they're not good is because they have inferior capacitors and a low heat acceptance level.

indeed they are. enjoy my trolls

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

The R9 380 isn't power hungry by any means :P and get a 500W PSU if you want some headroom for GPU overclocks.

OP already bought it :(

indeed they are. enjoy my trolls

I personally don't welcome trolls on this forum, if you're going to make any claim back it up.

A CX series PSU for that kind of purpose is not ideal, especially a 430W one.

EVGA's low-end options are generally better, what with being made by Seasonic, whose PSU line-up ranges from pretty good to near perfect.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

OP already bought it :(

I personally don't welcome trolls on this forum, if you're going to make any claim back it up.

A CX series PSU for that kind of purpose is not ideal, especially a 430W one.

EVGA's low-end options are generally better, what with being made by Seasonic, whose PSU line-up ranges from pretty good to near perfect.

Whats my alternative though guys? I don't want to have to return my PSU so I have to work with what I got.

Whats my alternative though guys? I don't want to have to return my PSU so I have to work with what I got.

You'll be fine, but if you end up with 40$ down the road pick up an EVGA 500B- it's significantly better than the CX430.

you're fine with that psu. Although 430 watts is a little on the low side if you ever want to upgrade. As for the cx and Cs psu hate, your system wind be got enough to case that. Just make sure it is properly ventalated due tonits low heat tolerance.

EDIT- Sorry for bad grammar and misspellings, phone keyboard.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

You'll be fine, but if you end up with 40$ down the road pick up an EVGA 500B- it's significantly better than the CX430.

you're fine with that psu. Although 430 watts is a little on the low side if you ever want to upgrade. As for the cx and Cs psu hate, your system wind be got enough to case that. Just make sure it is properly ventalated due tonits low heat tolerance.

Thanks for clearing my doubts, and I'll most definitely upgrade to a better one in the near future. Thanks for the help! 

Thanks for clearing my doubts, and I'll most definitely upgrade to a better one in the near future. Thanks for the help! 

No problem. :)

It'll suffice for now...but when you get a bit of money, say three to six months time, get one of EVGA's or Seasonic's units. Heck, even Antec or something.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

So basically if you don't operate it in an office environment with low heat output and low ambient temps, you have a very good chance to suffer.

Also another reason i would add is if you live on the equator than this thing may not even survive shipping.

yep, always glad to help out. :)

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

So basically if you don't operate it in an office environment with low heat output and low ambient temps, you have a very good chance to suffer.

Also another reason i would add is if you live on the equator than this thing may not even survive shipping.

No, I've used them in many gaming builds, with things ranging from a G3258 and a 750ti to a i7-4790k and a GTX 980ti. So long as you have enough wattage and the power supply is adequately cooled than you'll have no issues.

Also the 980ti build has a CX750M because we got it new at BestBuy for 30$.

No, I've used them in many gaming builds, with things ranging from a G3258 and a 750ti to a i7-4790k and a GTX 980ti. So long as you have enough wattage and the power supply is adequately cooled than you'll have no issues.

Also the 980ti build has a CX750M because we got it new at BestBuy for 30$.

The CX750M is an exception since its from their older lineup.

It actually has better ambient tolerations than the 430 etc

The CX750M is an exception since its from their older lineup.

It actually has better ambient tolerations than the 430 etc

But to the same token I've used multiple CX430, CX430M, CX500, and a CX500M's with no issues- it's mostly about making sure you have adequate wattage and cooling.