Hard drive problems!

boardinwelts
Go to solution Solved by Mbarton,

-snip-

You'll need to get a flash drive and load it up with Linux preferably Ubuntu. once you've done that restart the computer boot into the flash drive and click try ubuntu before installing. you then need to go to the old PATA drive and cut/copy the files since Ubuntu doesn't care about windows permissions it will do it no problem.

You will need at least a 2gb flash drive if you have any questions let me know ;)

Hey there guys!

So I recently built my dad a new computer - his first "new" computer in quite some time. If you are interested in specs, you can find them below, though it really has no impact on today's topic. 

The issue: I took my dad's old PATA hard drive (it's only 250GB) out of his old system (yeah, his old system was REALLY old) and used adapters in order to covert it into a SATA device that I could use. It does not contain much, but what he does want are the pictures that are on it. The issue is that my C drive (the one that is running Windows and everything else) is on the 2TB Western Digital Green drive that I put into it. The old hard drive had a user password on it, so everything that is on the drive is locked. I was wondering if there is a way to unlock it without having to boot into the Windows XP that the drive contains and do everything manually that way. Not sure if it is possible, but any idea on how to acheive this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Specs:

AMD FX-6350 3.9MHz w/ Stock cooling

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+

HyperX RAM (don't remember the speed)

XFX Radeon R7 260X

EVGA SuperNova Nex550G2

Then what's the problem exactly?

ok? whats the problem?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Then what's the problem exactly?

ok? whats the problem?

Sorry for the confusion, the post saved before I finished typing it for some reason. It has been completed.

-snip-

You'll need to get a flash drive and load it up with Linux preferably Ubuntu. once you've done that restart the computer boot into the flash drive and click try ubuntu before installing. you then need to go to the old PATA drive and cut/copy the files since Ubuntu doesn't care about windows permissions it will do it no problem.

You will need at least a 2gb flash drive if you have any questions let me know ;)

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Also please follow your threads so you know when people post in them ;)

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

You'll need to get a flash drive and load it up with linux preferably ubuntu. once you've done that restart the computer boot into the flash drive and click try ubuntu before installing. you then need to go to the old pata drive and cut/copy the files since ubuntu doesn't care about windows fermions it will do it no problem.

yull need at least a 2gb flash drive if you have any questions let me know ;)

Thank you, I'll take a look into doing that. Thank you for the help :)

Thank you, I'll take a look into doing that. Thank you for the help :)

No problem if you run into any problems or have questions just ask 

Or if youre not familia with ubuntu then donwload hirens boot cd, follow thier instrutions and smash it on a usb, then use the mini xp tool, it too dosn't give a shit about password protection.

Or if youre not familia with ubuntu then donwload hirens boot cd, follow thier instrutions and smash it on a usb, then use the mini xp tool, it too dosn't give a shit about password protection.

Thats a good option but i think Ubuntu is a little more user friendly and faster to setup over all.

Plus theres nothing wrong with having a little experience with Ubuntu (my daily driver)

Plus theres nothing wrong with having a little experience with Ubuntu (my daily driver)

ofcurse there is not a problem with learning it, was just giving more options, incase he would get stuck :)

Yep. That's what I do. And you can even pull intact files off HDD that have had the platters damaged (Linux 1, Windows 0).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

~snip~

Hey there boardinwelts,

As the guys pointed out, you should be perfectly fine booting a Linux OS from a thumb drive and reading the drive with it. 
I'd also suggest that you check the health of that old drive and if it's still safe to store your data if you are going to use this drive as a secondary one in your system. Check what the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive is, that should give you a pretty good idea of its condition.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/