Why the cost difference between gtx 960 & gtx 970?

Council_of_Trent

Hello all. In researching my first build, I wanted an affordable but powerful card. Whilst browsing Newegg, I came across the EVGA GTX 960 card that claims 4 gig vram. My friend said that he has a GTX 970 that is also a 4 gig card, but cost him $100 more. So, why the price difference if they are both supposed to be just as powerful? Is the 960 less stable or significantly worse in some way? Any horror stories? Any advice is much appreciated.

Hello all. In researching my first build, I wanted an affordable but powerful card. Whilst browsing Newegg, I came across the EVGA GTX 960 card that claims 4 gig vram. My friend said that he has a GTX 970 that is also a 4 gig card, but cost him $100 more. So, why the price difference if they are both supposed to be just as powerful? Is the 960 less stable or significantly worse in some way? Any horror stories? Any advice is much appreciated.

960 doesn't have NEAR as much /Cuda/ Cores as the 960 does. The 970 is far more powerful. Except the 960 actually has a full 4GB of VRAM where the 970 technically has 3.5 and .5 gigs.

Never use vRAM to judge the performance of ANY card. A 2GB R9 380 can for instance beat a 4GB r9 270.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Thing is, a 960 can't use all 4GB I believe. It's pure marketing.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

960 doesn't have NEAR as much /Cuda/ Cores as the 960 does. The 970 is far more powerful. Except the 960 actually has a full 4GB of VRAM where the 970 technically has 3.5 and .5 gigs.

I'm pretty sure the 970 then still has 4GB of VRAM. The 4GB of VRAM in the 960 may not even matter because it's not powerful enough to use it. There's more to performance than just CUDA cores. You also need to look at the number of ROPs. (Example: 760 vs 660 Ti)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The 970 is WAY more powerful than the 960 :)

Literally makes no sense to me. Wasn't the last .5GB partitioned from the 970 because of a limitation of the cut down GPU? So how it is the 960 can manage all 4GB when it has less than the 970. Unless it has to do with the speed of data transfer and computation and overall throughput. I might be able to actually understand that if that was the case.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Literally makes no sense to me. Wasn't the last .5GB partitioned from the 970 because of a limitation of the cut down GPU? So how it is the 960 can manage all 4GB when it has less than the 970. Unless it has to do with the speed of data transfer and computation and overall throughput. I might be able to actually understand that if that was the case.

It doesn't really matter - In an application you always can max out VRAM, That last .5gig portion was always meant to be there, but how the card was designed it wasn't as easy to be accessed, GM204_arch_0.jpg

You can see there, where the last gate wasn't functioning or was disabled giving it almost a bottleneck feel, where you could access the VRAM if you needed to but it wouldn't be as fast as the other portions because that last gate is closed off and it would need to go to the next gate, right there (see below) which it would get in the way of the last the first module on the chip kid of like merging traffic, which could be causing the microstutters, and as Godly Gamer contributed, there are other factors that I didn't discuss If there is anything else I missed on the topic correct me, As I didn't go too in depth for the reasoning because the user only thought that VRAM mattered and nothing else. Where the most I feel like they would get without getting extremely overwhelmed with info, because I still cant wrap my head around FLOPS and other things 

c00fe09fea.jpg

-snip-

Fair enough. But wasn't the bottleneck caused by the cut-down in SMs? And wouldn't the 960 have less SMs than a 970? So does it manage all 4GB?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Fair enough. But wasn't the bottleneck caused by the cut-down in SMs? And wouldn't the 960 have less SMs than a 970? So does it manage all 4GB?

that I can't answer you.

that I can't answer you.

Well, maybe one day I'll learn. For now I shall learn to crochet...or was it knit? Either way it's not designing GPUs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Define manage. The card can access all 4GB. If you're asking if the VRAM is allocated evenly between the memory controllers, you'd have to know how many memory controllers are enabled.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

OK, I see. But now, dumb question maybe, but what are cuda cores?