Windows 10 upgrade

Ophion

After I did a hardware upgrade (new motherboard, cpu & gpu) my Windows 10 deactivated, I called with Microsoft and they told me that I can do 2 things: first buy a new key and second go back to Windows 7 or 8 and upgrade again. I can't downgrade anymore because the month I had to do it has passed, but i can download a Windows 7/8 iso but it isn't activated then. So my question is can I upgrade from a non active Windows 7/8 and get a active Windows 10?

Thanks for the help.

What Microsoft tried to explain to you, is install Windows 7/8 that you have, then activate it, install your drivers, and update fully. Then upgrade via the "Get Windows 10" app to get Windows 10. This will register your new hardware with Windows 10, and next time you can just install Windows 10 cleanly.

Keep in mind that if your Windows 7/8 is OEM license or System Builder OEM, you can't transfer it (it is locked to your old hardware). Only Retail license of Windows can be transfered, as per the license agreement you agreed upon (hence the cheaper price), when you first install Windows, or in the case of OEM license, first boot up the system.

You may also be able to do a "revert to factory settings". If you have a recovery partition on the machine, it will bring the original Windows back.