980 OC?

WhiteSkyMage

Hey I got this GTX 980 G1 Gaming to 1537MHz core and 100MHz on mem but have a 50mV overvoltage. Should I go more on the mem? Are those 50mV overvolt decrease the life of it?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

If you can keep pushing it and don't mind it, why not? Applying additional voltage to the core will reduce its lifespan due to the transistors being so small(The smaller the transistors, the more sensitive they are to voltage increases). What temperatures are you achieving?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hey I got this GTX 980 G1 Gaming to 1537MHz core and 100MHz on mem but have a 50mV overvoltage. Should I go more on the mem? Are those 50mV overvolt decrease the life of it?

Overvolting doesn't matter a lot so long as stays under 80 C under load and you aren't doing insane overvolts. Memory doesn't affect fps as much as Core clock so you don't really have to overclock that more, also it's hard to get big memory overclocks since it's dangerous to touch memory voltage.

The overclock is good and fine

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Any voltage increases you can do without bios modding likely wont effect the card life too much.

You could go further, but keep an eye out for the point where the coreclocks need a lot more voltage to go up, as thats probably where you should stop...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Any voltage increases you can do without bios modding likely wont effect the card life too much.

You could go further, but keep an eye out for the point where the coreclocks need a lot more voltage to go up, as thats probably where you should stop...

Overvolting doesn't matter a lot so long as stays under 80 C under load and you aren't doing insane overvolts. Memory doesn't affect fps as much as Core clock so you don't really have to overclock that more, also it's hard to get big memory overclocks since it's dangerous to touch memory voltage.

The overclock is good and fine

If you can keep pushing it and don't mind it, why not? Applying additional voltage to the core will reduce its lifespan due to the transistors being so small(The smaller the transistors, the more sensitive they are to voltage increases). What temperatures are you achieving?

Well, currently, at 1537 MHz core and +100MHz to the memory, I achieve highest 78*C, that's with the 50mV on on full stress...and you are right, memory won't give me a lot of FPS.

I was just asking so that I know if running this OCed at every gaming session will decrease lifespan too much... I made a profile, as I said, with just 1500MHz and +0 on both memory and voltage. Maybe that will be safer?

I also realized some games crash even with the smallest OC. I wonder, if I will be able to run Witcher 3 on 1440p with this high OC and Kboost ON.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Well, currently, at 1537 MHz core and +100MHz to the memory, I achieve highest 78*C, that's with the 50mV on on full stress...and you are right, memory won't give me a lot of FPS.

I was just asking so that I know if running this OCed at every gaming session will decrease lifespan too much... I made a profile, as I said, with just 1500MHz and +0 on both memory and voltage. Maybe that will be safer?

I also realized some games crash even with the smallest OC. I wonder, if I will be able to run Witcher 3 on 1440p with this high OC and Kboost ON.

Keep the current profile how it is it's fine and if you were to lower the voltage to zero, your card could crash.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If you are too worried about the life of the card remember, you wont notice the difference that 30 mhz does in game...

On the other hand, unless you game 24/7 the amount of time that your gpu is overvolted wont be very long either

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd