First gaming build!

brucelee3000

Recently I have started getting the itch to build my first gaming computer since I have been gaming with integrated graphics for my whole life but whenever I end up putting together a list on pcpartpicker there are lots of things I just don't know if they are worth the extra money or if I should be saving somewhere.

1. Budget & Location

Location is Washington state in the United states. I would love to keep it around 1100-1200 USD because after paying for college tuition that may be all I have for spending money.  If for better performance the price needs to go beyond that I will likely just have to wait for some deals on parts which is okay in my book! Especially since I have to buy literally everything for the PC

2. Aim

I would be using the PC for gaming and streaming.  The gaming end of things I would like to be able to run new games that come out at reasonable frame rates while still looking pretty. For the streaming end of things as long as I am able to play and stream without my system being throttled I would be exceedingly happy.

3. Monitors

One monitor with room to upgrade to a second down the road is really the extent that I see me using, I wouldn't really want to do multi monitor gaming but having a game running while being able to use the second monitor for whatever else I want to do with it would be awesome.  At least 1080 monitors would be awesome, but if that is all the budget allows so be it.

4. Peripherals

Peripherals: I will be needing to buy everything for the build seeing as it is my very first.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Because I am tired of stressing out my laptop's integrated GPU to play games that are a couple years old that look like poo and run even worse!

From all of the builds that I have mock put together the only really consistent things I have had is the Nzxt Noctis 450 (red/black) case, I think it looks super slick along with having fairly good stock air flow along with cable management options for someone inexperienced like me. The other consistent part is the GTX 970, I like the MSI version of the card but whatever will give me the most bang for my buck will be what I choose in the end.

Theoretical build (so far)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wC2xJx

Thank you to anyone who helps me through this process! I will update the post with links to parts and prices of the theoretical build so that if people want to give insight it'll be easier than digging through posts!

*Edit*
I really don't have anything that I can salvage from any older computers so if something is missing from the build I don't really have anywhere to rip the parts from!

390 > 970

1100-1200 budget can easily fit 980Ti in US (you lucky bastards)

You can go with i5 4460 to save some money but don't recommend it. Case is personal taste as long it's MicroAtx is good. I suppose you are going to overclock, so a Mugen 4 might be better at 40$.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.79 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $1234.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:07 EDT-0400

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Update: fixed the lack of peripherals and monitor.

Here is what I will go for:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($66.50 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1214.81

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:19 EDT-0400

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

390 > 970

1100-1200 budget can easily fit 980Ti in US (you lucky bastards)

You can go with i5 4460 to save some money but don't recommend it. Case is personal taste as long it's MicroAtx is good. I suppose you are going to overclock, so a Mugen 4 might be better at 40$.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.24 @ Amazon)

Total: $1234.87

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:07 EDT-0400

You forgot the hard drive.

Pascal laptops guide

You forgot the hard drive.

You forgot the 980Ti.

What's wrong with his old hard drive. Heck, I bet he can salvage more then just the hard drive,propably a decent case and DDR3 ram.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

~

~

He asked for the monitor! ~~~

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

You forgot the 980Ti.

What's wrong with his hard drive. Heck, I bet he can salvage more then just the hard drive.

Leaving with 120GB is not easy. And I guess we both forgot to add the darn peripherals, I'll go back to work.

Pascal laptops guide

He asked for the monitor! ~~~

Also forgot the monitors

Pascal laptops guide

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.98 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1113.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:14 EDT-0400

Suits your needs.

Changed the 970 to 390.

Similar price/Cheaper Price, performs better than 970.

Edit: If you really want the case, Stick with that. It's expensive imo. Get H440 Black/Red case. $40 cheaper.

Edited by kameshss

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.49 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.98 @ Best Buy)

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1113.87

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:14 EDT-0400

Suits your needs.

Changed the 970 to 390.

Similar price/Cheaper Price, performs better than 970.

Perfect list except;

- Case worth nearly as much as CPU. Also no MicroAtx

- 24 inch 1440P monitors are damn cheap like 200-250$

- 750W is a bit overkill, but he can add a second GPU later on.

- There was a R9 390 with free 8GB of ram, that's another 40$ off the costs.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Perfect list except;

- Case worth nearly as much as CPU. Also no MicroAtx

- 24 inch 1440P monitors are damn cheap like 200-250$

I can't see any 2k monitor within 200-250.

Got it! The perfect list! 1440p 144hz with FreeSync is just a steal at that price 450$.

Case looks super cool for 40$

I know it's a bit over the budget, but the difference between 1080P 60hz and 1440P 144hz is night and day.

main.jpg

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XG270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($449.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1422.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 15:28 EDT-0400

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

tell you what my friend, I stream and record videos all the time:) I have a really beefy PC but heres a cut down version that should be good for you while still having some breathing and growing room for when games get more intensive have the exact computer you want. heres a part list:) http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

now theres a few things you might want to change, for example you could use an GTX 970 instead of the 390 but the extra VRAM will really help you here. the 4790 is plenty fastk but you really need those 8 threads. you could alternatively go with an AMD 8-core around 3.5Ghtz and you'll same some money there. any other questions and i'm happy to answer as I do this for a living.

tell you what my friend, I stream and record videos all the time:) I have a really beefy PC but heres a cut down version that should be good for you while still having some breathing and growing room for when games get more intensive have the exact computer you want. heres a part list:) http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

now theres a few things you might want to change, for example you could use an GTX 970 instead of the 390 but the extra VRAM will really help you here. the 4790 is plenty fastk but you really need those 8 threads. you could alternatively go with an AMD 8-core around 3.5Ghtz and you'll same some money there. any other questions and i'm happy to answer as I do this for a living.

That's not how PcPartPicker works...

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I am super surprised about how quickly people jumped on this post!

Because I am new to this some questions are coming to mind, is getting an overclock able processor actually worth it? What makes the 390 so much better than the 970? Why would I want to spend a whopping 500 bucks on a monitor when I could shift money into a better video card and get a less awesome monitor?  Would a hyper threaded CPU actually help me when I am streaming/gaming?  Will 8 gigs of ram be good for now or would spending the little bit extra on 16 gigs be worth it?

That's not how PcPartPicker works...

i'm so ashamed. I don't know how I managed to do that.... I use PCPartPicker all the time.. im so ashamed. I don't have time to rebuild it, as I havn't saved it. but all you need to know is to get 8 threads and a video card with at least 4-6 GB of VRAM and preferrably more than 8 GB of ram. other than that anything works.

i'm so ashamed. I don't know how I managed to do that.... I use PCPartPicker all the time.. im so ashamed. I don't have time to rebuild it, as I havn't saved it. but all you need to know is to get 8 threads and a video card with at least 4-6 GB of VRAM and preferrably more than 8 GB of ram. other than that anything works.

No problem can happen to everyone, I almost WTF'ed for a second when i saw my own build :D

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Because I am new to this some questions are coming to mind, is getting an overclock able processor actually worth it? What makes the 390 so much better than the 970? Why would I want to spend a whopping 500 bucks on a monitor when I could shift money into a better video card and get a less awesome monitor?  Would a hyper threaded CPU actually help me when I am streaming/gaming?  Will 8 gigs of ram be good for now or would spending the little bit extra on 16 gigs be worth it?

You don't need a 4K monitor. you just need something that is 1080p 60htz and preferably a good stand with height adjust. some streaming applications will use either your GPU and CPU, either way works fine but you need a good cooler if you're gunna use your CPU as it can get hot, you'll also need more RAM. alternatively, you can use a video card for performance, which means you'll usually be paying more but with more efficiency as it would be creating the game you're viewing, and instantly creating video frames for it to be livestreamed, and for that option, your GPU needs more RAM than normal. so if you're going to do that, than get at least a 970 or 980, if not a 390 or 390x. 

an overclockable processor can be worth it, but only really if your making and rendering videos for youtube. if you get an i7 which has 8 threads (8 theoretical cores, 4 physical cores) you don't need overclocking, but if you want to save money and go with an i5 (4 threads, 4 physical cores) I would definitely go for the overclockable version as that processor might have a hard time keeping up otherwise. alternatively you could go with AMD instead of intel, go with an 8 core processor. they generally consume more power and preform less efficiently than intel processors (I recommend Intel). I defnitely think that more than 8 GB would be worth it, as ram is cheap, but you could see how it works for you and maybe upgrade later. 

dopes that answer all your questions? I know its a lot to take it, I tried my best to simplify it for your understanding. 

You don't need a 4K monitor. you just need something that is 1080p 60htz and preferably a good stand with height adjust. some streaming applications will use either your GPU and CPU, either way works fine but you need a good cooler if you're gunna use your CPU as it can get hot, you'll also need more RAM. alternatively, you can use a video card for performance, which means you'll usually be paying more but with more efficiency as it would be creating the game you're viewing, and instantly creating video frames for it to be livestreamed, and for that option, your GPU needs more RAM than normal. so if you're going to do that, than get at least a 970 or 980, if not a 390 or 390x. 

an overclockable processor can be worth it, but only really if your making and rendering videos for youtube. if you get an i7 which has 8 threads (8 theoretical cores, 4 physical cores) you don't need overclocking, but if you want to save money and go with an i5 (4 threads, 4 physical cores) I would definitely go for the overclockable version as that processor might have a hard time keeping up otherwise. alternatively you could go with AMD instead of intel, go with an 8 core processor. they generally consume more power and preform less efficiently than intel processors (I recommend Intel). I defnitely think that more than 8 GB would be worth it, as ram is cheap, but you could see how it works for you and maybe upgrade later. 

dopes that answer all your questions? I know its a lot to take it, I tried my best to simplify it for your understanding. 

Lol 1080P 60hz is old shit dude, people need to move on, otherwise we are stuck in the Bronze Age.

There is a 27 invh 1440P 144hz monitor for just 450$, or 250$ for 24 inch 1440P 60hz IPS

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Do you also need windows?

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($54.78 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.63 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: LG 25UM56-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  ($227.58 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($43.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1317.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 10:26 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

Do you also need windows?

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($54.78 @ OutletPC)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Micro Center)

Monitor: LG 25UM56-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  ($227.58 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($43.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1317.89

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 10:26 EDT-0400

you can get windows for $20 or so on G2A or reddit. 

Lol 1080P 60hz is old shit dude, people need to move on, otherwise we are stuck in the Bronze Age.

There is a 27 invh 1440P 144hz monitor for just 450$, or 250$ for 24 inch 1440P 60hz IPS

the average person cant tell the diffrence between 60 and 144 htz my friend and getting a G-sync or freesync panel means a lot ore than that. no screen tearing. and 89% of people game on 1080p, its really not bad for gaming. you have to pay a lot more for a video card to run that. 1440p is great but its only 1.4x more dense than 1080p. I mean if you can find a deal than good, but entry level gamers, like this guy who was using freaking INTEGRATED GRAPHICS isn't gunna need to jump straight to 1440. and more than $200 is a lot for a monitor in my opinion anyway. 

yes, overclocking your cpu is worth it imo. you don't have to get one, but it will improve performance all around. the 390 outperforms the 970 in gaming benchmarks. you don't need to spend 500 bucks on a monitor. hyper-threading does help, yes. 8gb of ram is just fine.

consider this:

edit:

you'll be able to max out most games at 1080p with frame rates exceeding 120 fps

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($186.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($234.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech Corded Keyboard K280e Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M6800 Wired Optical Mouse  ($14.77 @ Newegg)

Total: $1210.27

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 14:55 EDT-0400

BigDay

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: OCZ Trion 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1246.36

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 14:55 EDT-0400

Definitely loving every one of the builds and that they are fairly similar, I *think* that the part picker build is at least very close to what I am going to be looking into getting! From there are there suggestions as to what I can do for more performance for dollar or little value extras that can help the system as a whole run better (like a fan controller)