Dual hard drive setup

johnkubik

Hey,

I just got a 1tb solid state... I also have a 1tb HDD spinning disk.

I do not want to raid them, but I would like the data to be mirrored to each of them. Is there a way, without scripting or  manual/automatic backups, to make the data exist in both places at once? For instance, it would be cool if I could raid 1 them, but make the SSD the main copy of the file. Or maybe this raid option exists I just dont know what to call it.

I know I could run an xcopy auto/manual... but I don't want to do that. Let's think outside the box.

Running windows 10 fyi. (dont want to do storage spaces, unless there is a configuration like the raid configuration I alluded too above).

Thanks!

if your HDD has the OS on it right now you will have to Format it. Then install the OS on the SSD and bootup with the SSD and the programs and data should be wiped from the HDD and just reintall everything

You know that is going to perform horribly right?

But yes gotta erase both then setup windows with RAID drivers.

My advice add a 2nd HDD, then trigger a backup from the SSD to the HDD and mirror the HDDs

I don't think either of you understood the question. Both are just storage drives. I am trying to find a way to ensure both drives have the same data on them... But I only want to read the data off the ssd, with the hdd as a backup.

I do not want to have to trigger a backup, as stated in my original post. I am looking for something similar to raid 1,but having the file read from the ssd, but when I write to the ssd it also writes to the hdd.

Thanks!

Don't raid SSD's and HDD's.

Best to match the drive types or just backup/copy to the other.

I am not explaining this right... I am looking for a raid alternative that allows the drives to be redundant, but still have the ssd performance.

I want windows to only see and use the ssd, but I want the files also copied to the had, without me having to run a script, or trigger and event, or initiate a backup.

I am not explaining this right... I am looking for a raid alternative that allows the drives to be redundant, but still have the ssd performance.

I want windows to only see and use the ssd, but I want the files also copied to the had, without me having to run a script, or trigger and event, or initiate a backup.

The closest thing you could get to this is using a backup software. First thing off of the top of my head would be something like the free version of crashplan that allows a continuous backup. The HDD still wouldn't be bootable in case of disaster though and the HDD would lag a bit behind the SSD because of the speed differences.

Ah I see what you mean; you would need some kinda of backup software; then map it to the files and folders you want to backup.

I know there are a few options: AutoVer and RollbackRx are two I have heard of but not personally used - Personally I have a custom ShadowCopy based thing that runs as a service and syncs my documents/downloads etc folders to 4 locations.

Use "windows 7 backup and restore" to auto backup your drive or full system to the other HDD as an image on a schedule. Once a full backup is complete it will then only incrementally backup and be quick.

~snip~

Hey there :)

If you opt for a RAID array solution, the SSD's speeds will be limited to the ones of the HDD and I believe you don't want this. 

Another option is to configure a continuous backup from the SSD onto the HDD (everything or just certain folders). This will create a complete backup on the target drive (in your case - the HDD) without affecting the performance of the SSD like RAID does and will automatically update the changes of files and folders as soon as you make them. You can use a backup software to do that. I can offer checking out WD SmartWare: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=AUWDkC

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Great, thanks for all the help guys! I just dont want to have to run scripts or click buttons to run the backup... I want it seemless and automatic. I wish that RAID 1 just had an option to say what the main drive is, so it ONLY accesses that drive, and just backs the data up without me having to do anything.

Hey there :)

If you opt for a RAID array solution, the SSD's speeds will be limited to the ones of the HDD and I believe you don't want this. 

Another option is to configure a continuous backup from the SSD onto the HDD (everything or just certain folders). This will create a complete backup on the target drive (in your case - the HDD) without affecting the performance of the SSD like RAID does and will automatically update the changes of files and folders as soon as you make them. You can use a backup software to do that. I can offer checking out WD SmartWare: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=AUWDkC

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

Right, I dont want the speed limited to HDD. I want them to change raid so it writes to both drivers, but only reads off the priority drive, so it reads off the SSD, but writes to both.

Right, I dont want the speed limited to HDD. I want them to change raid so it writes to both drivers, but only reads off the priority drive, so it reads off the SSD, but writes to both.

Well, writing simultaneously to both drives would require you to put them in RAID. Configuring a continuous backup from one drive to the other would essentially do the same but will not force the drives to work together as if they were in a RAID array. The second drive would have the same information and account for all the changes on the selected files, but will not be dependent on the first one and will not be actively reading when the data is requested. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Syncbak can do this as long as it's not system files.

I tested it on a couple of files for you.

You tell it to monitor changes for a folder or drive and it will copy the files to the destination drive. You can schedule this or turn on live monitoring, so as soon a the file hits the ssd a copy takes place on the HDD.

It will use system resources but footprint is small.