i5 Upgrade

I currently have an i5 750 and am looking to upgrade. I do some lightweight gaming (Minecraft, TF2, StarCraft 2) and programming. I also run a modded Minecraft server for my friends, and that is the main reason for the upgrade. I don't think I need to spend the extra money for an i7.

Currently along with the i5 750 I have an Asus GTX 750ti, 12GB of DDR3 @1333MHz, and a Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSD. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB. I would like to keep the current RAM with the new processor. 

I would like to slightly overclock the new CPU, so I was looking at the 4690k. Is this a good choice? I was also wondering if I should go with the newer 6600k for the same price?

4460 should be more than enough for your needs really - it doesn't even need an OC to get you a good 40% performance increase

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

-nvm-

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Budget...

Z170 is only really worth it over Haswell refresh IF you are gonna use multiple high speed SSDs or 2+ GPUs, else Haswell is perfectly fine

If you want to overclock get a 4690k with a BeQuiet! Pure Rock CPU cooler. Then add a 1x4kitmof 1333mhz ram.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

4690k would do amazing

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

4690K is very good.

6600K is very good too. 6600K requires DDR4 memory though, so you can't keep your current RAM.

4690k if you want to keep your current RAM(which you want).

Does no one know that there are actually quite a few DDR3 Z170 motherboards? Asrock has one, Gigabyte has one, and ASUS has one.

Does no one know that there are actually quite a few DDR3 Z170 motherboards? Asrock has one, Gigabyte has one, and ASUS has one.

wait, really?

I was gone when Skylake released so didn't know D:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4690K is very good.

6600K is very good too. 6600K requires DDR4 memory though, so you can't keep your current RAM.

I built a Skylake build the other day with DDR3. He will be fine keeping his ram.

If he wants to feel like he's on the bleeding edge, he could go for this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-z170-p-d3-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr3-ddr3l-sata3-6gb-s-m2-pcie-30-dvi-hdmi-gbe-usb-30-atx-motherboa

Team that with a 6600k and idk something like a BeQuiet Pure Rock and he's got a worthy upgrade for like £300

wait, really?

I was gone when Skylake released so didn't know D:

Same as @Minibois, came back from vacation some hours ago. Off to educate myself then.

ASUS: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170M-E-D3/

AsRock: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Pro4D3/

Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5488#ov

speed differences between 1st gen i5 and 4th gen i5 are actually noticable in games like minecraft.

that said, i feel like theres potential here.

(note: what follows is gonna sound pretty costly, because it potentially is)

upgrade to 4th gen i5 (4690K if you're gonna overclock, 4460 if you arent) or 5th gen i5 (6600K) if you want to go all in.

5th gen i5 will require new ram, but this is where things get interesting. pre-post edit: appareantly theres DDR3 skylake boards out there already.

no matter what, you're going to buy a new motherboard, so this leaves you with a cpu, motherboard, and potentially some RAM.

what can you do with that? well. you could get a power supply and a cheapo hard drive, and turn it into a dedicated server for you and your friends.

this keeps the load of the dedicated server off your main system, while also giving you the possibility of exploring linux, maybe mess around with a private TF2 server, and so on.

you *could* buy 8 extra gigs of ram, using 8 you already have in your main system, adding in another 8, and move 4 in your server, which is probably enough.

--

also would like to mention that for what you've listed, an i7 wont do any good.

So do you think it's worth it to go Skylake or should I stick with the 4690k?

speed differences between 1st gen i5 and 4th gen i5 are actually noticable in games like minecraft.

that said, i feel like theres potential here.

(note: what follows is gonna sound pretty costly, because it potentially is)

upgrade to 4th gen i5 (4690K if you're gonna overclock, 4460 if you arent) or 5th gen i5 (6600K) if you want to go all in.

5th gen i5 will require new ram, but this is where things get interesting. pre-post edit: appareantly theres DDR3 skylake boards out there already.

no matter what, you're going to buy a new motherboard, so this leaves you with a cpu, motherboard, and potentially some RAM.

what can you do with that? well. you could get a power supply and a cheapo hard drive, and turn it into a dedicated server for you and your friends.

this keeps the load of the dedicated server off your main system, while also giving you the possibility of exploring linux, maybe mess around with a private TF2 server, and so on.

you *could* buy 8 extra gigs of ram, using 8 you already have in your main system, adding in another 8, and move 4 in your server, which is probably enough.

--

also would like to mention that for what you've listed, an i7 wont do any good.

This is a pretty good idea... I did something similar with my i7-950 rig - Its now the test server for my game :).

This is a pretty good idea... I did something similar with my i7-950 rig - Its now the test server for my game :).

i have several systems that were "repurposed" like this. one of them caught fire a few times.

building out of old parts is always fun by itself :P

i have several systems that were "repurposed" like this. one of them caught fire a few times.

building out of old parts is always fun by itself :P

Aye; I have a few as well - but I didnt think of it in this case...

So do you think it's worth it to go Skylake or should I stick with the 4690k?

its not "is it worth it" but rather "is it worth it to you?"

you'll be speaking about 10% extra cpu power when going skylake, for however much more it costs to upgrade.

So I'm thinking I'll go with the 4690k. Any recommendations on motherboards?