Browser Performance Showdown (Microsoft Edge)

To me the most important criteria to choose browser is functionality, not performace or ram usesage.  Yes if one browser can open a page in 10 sec while other takes 20 sec then that is a problem, but more realistically one can open in 3 sec other can open in 4 sec, I don't care.  That is the reason why I don't get on Chrome bandwagon becuase Chrome doesn't come with left bookmark bar.  When Google offically put such a basic function in Chrome, I will consider to compare FF and Chrome.  Beside, FF is the one single handedly saved the Internet when IE had so much secirty issues.  I am still thankfull for that.

Chrome is just as secure.......

Left bookmark bar?

FF has always been more problematic for me.

The Ecosystem on chrome is bettter.

CHROME  MASTER RACE

There is an extension to fix that :)

Name?

Do you have the raw numbers from the benchmarks anywhere? Also details on your setup for the high speed camera comparison would be interesting to hear.

Considering Firefox appears to do really well on the benchmark performance I would have liked to see how it did on the high speed camera tests.

Either crashes Flash or crashes the entire browser.

I guess FF doesn't play nice with AMD drivers recently

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'm bouncing between Firefox and Chrome lately. I really want to use Firefox as my main browser because it is open source and from a nonprofit organization, but I can't stand its overall UI slowness when having a lot of tabs or when opening heavier pages. Also it has more security holes because of plugins like Flash and Java which I think aren't properly sandboxed. I hope E10S makes Firefox comparable to Blink in terms of speed. :)

Edge feels like a polished IE with much better UI but It's still missing important features and consumes a lot of ram for unknown reasons. Imagine its ram consumption with a lot of extensions. :o

Opera is basically Chrome with different UI and a few extra features which are still far less than what the older Opera with Presto had. Vivaldi might be the new Opera as It's made by former Opera employees (which left before Opera got "chromified").

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I'm on Firefox Nighty 64-bit. I never see that 32-bit version again...

I use Waterfox, since I have too many tabs and FF crashes if it tries to use >4gigs of ram. I tried the nightly a few months ago, but a few addons weren't compatible (FT Deep dark, and Tree Style Tabs, among others, iirc), and I switched back to waterfox.

I'd really like the e10s to hit the mainstream, since I have a lot of idle games open, it pins my last core (between 40 and 80%, while the other 11 cores are empty) and it shouldn't do that.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I guess FF doesn't play nice with AMD drivers recently

I use Nvidia and so does everyone else I know that has the same issue so... :P

I use Nvidia and so does everyone else I know that has the same issue so... :P

Oh lol - my mistake.

Yeah, firefox is awesome but recently it's been odd for me as well - the other day it artifacted for 3 secs and went away magically o_o

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using a Hardrive as my steam library and boot drive and ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 I've been using Microsoft Edge as it launches faster than all the other browsers and thats great especially in my needs as I don't usually spend a whole lot of time in a browser (I prefer actually playing games on PC) I'll just quickly Google something if I need it or watch one or two YouTube videos. Sure, Edge might eat up RAM but I don't care, I have 8GB of it not 2 like on crappy laptops. If I get an SSD sure I will go back to Chrome as I think it is the best browser overall and the speed won't be an issue with an SSD as you all know. And seriously why didn't linus do a test with an SSD and another test with a Hardrive, not everyone has SSD's!!! Not saying it was a bad video I would have just liked to see that included :(

Used Chrome since 2012 after using Firefox for 9 years, haven't really missed it. Edge is now my backup browser.

Used Chrome since 2012 after using Firefox for 9 years, haven't really missed it. Edge is now my backup browser.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Chrome it's just with a Hardrive, Edge is faster. I've been using Chrome since 2011 or 2012 ( can't really remember) and I would say it is the best browser if you're using an SSD :D

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Chrome it's just with a Hardrive, Edge is faster. I've been using Chrome since 2011 or 2012 ( can't really remember) and I would say it is the best browser if you're using an SSD :D

edge is not faster then chrome

While Chrome is the most convenient, it can barely play 720p60 videos on my laptop (it's not a piece of shit when it comes to that) and it uses way too much RAM and CPU power for it to be useful.

edge uses more resources then chrome 

and my sisters Chromeboo can play 4k 60fps no problem

edge is not faster then chrome

I said the launch times are faster not the webpage loading times and I don't think my eyes are deceiving me when I launch up Edge...

If you do any web development firefox spanks everything else into next year. Extensions FTW.