thinking of speeding up my internet

I want to upgrade my router, I got sky and I am sharing internet with 2 other people, I also want to be able to install custom firmware.

if I can't find a new router I will just buy a new Ethernet cable because my one is broken, I would like a fast cable.

do Ethernet cards help?

and is there anything that can reduce the amount of data used by browsing (don't say ad-block, those things are stupid, ads keep the websites up)

You can speed up your home network speed but not your download/upload speed. Which i'm assuming that's what you are aiming for.

For that to happen you would need to upgrade your internet plan from your ISP.

I need to upgrade my ping

I need to upgrade my ping

On wifi?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Because you could try pinging in command prompt the ip of ur wifi router usually something like: 192.168.1.1

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

My ping is pretty low and i'm playing with wifi.

It all depends on the router and the wifi card.

so I will need to buy an Ethernet card?

Because you could try pinging in command prompt the ip of ur wifi router usually something like: 192.168.1.1

yes, but that wouldn't reduce my ping

1. Router and ethernet cable are not improving your internetconnection
there is not really a "fast ethernetcable" - sure there are standards but its already hard to even get an old standard cable these days so as a "fast" cable you are looking for Category 5e or above. make sure to get one with proper screening and isolation (STP/FTP/SFTP - no UTP pls)the router is only a bottleneck within the network and maybe when wifi is being overloaded so he causes timeouts on clients which is rarely the case. you'd have to have about 20 or more devices connected to reach such limits.ethernetcards are just additional NICs which you probably already have in your system soldered on your mainboard (Intel/Realtek something). if the system is younger than 2005 it should have Gigabit-network meaning you will not benefit from any newer or addtional NICs. there also is the "Killer NIC" which is marketed with lower pings etc but in most cases on modern systems it doesnt make a difference at all and mostly causes driver issues.

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

Yes it would help you troubleshoot if on wifi the ping problem would be the router or ur network card if it gets high pings when pinging the router.

Spoiler

he is talking about measuring the ping to your router to check if you'd even get any improvement from upgrading anything but the internet connection itself

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

2. there is not really a "fast ethernetcable" - sure there are standards but its already hard to even get an old standard cable these days so as a "fast" cable you are looking for Category 5.5 or above. make sure to get one with proper screening and isolation (STP/FTP/SFTP - no UTP pls)
  3. the router is only a bottleneck within the network and maybe when wifi is being overloaded so he causes timeouts on clients which is rarely the case. you'd have to have about 20 or more devices connected to reach such limits.
  4. ethernetcards are just additional NICs which you probably already have in your system soldered on your mainboard (Intel/Realtek something). if the system is younger than 2005 it should have Gigabit-network meaning you will not benefit from any newer or addtional NICs. there also is the "Killer NIC" which is marketed with lower pings etc but in most cases on modern systems it doesnt make a difference at all and mostly causes driver issues.

Router/modem combos from ISPs most of the time have the #3 issue.

I want to upgrade my router, I got sky and I am sharing internet with 2 other people, I also want to be able to install custom firmware.

if I can't find a new router I will just buy a new Ethernet cable because my one is broken, I would like a fast cable.

do Ethernet cards help?

and is there anything that can reduce the amount of data used by browsing (don't say ad-block, those things are stupid, ads keep the websites up)

Only option is to got with QoS (Quality of service), what it does, it allows you to control which device needs more bandwidth. So essentially, you can slow down their download speeds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yes it would help you troubleshoot if on wifi the ping problem would be the router or ur network card if it gets high pings when pinging the router.

No, on-board ethernet is quite decent.

As for your original post.  I would just buy an ethernet cable atm, since that could most likely be your problem.

Cat5e should be the one you would be looking for.

he is talking about measuring the ping to your router to check if you'd even get any improvement from upgrading anything but the internet connection itself

but I heard from a tech quickie video (I am searching where it is) that there are some routers which are better, and I would like to change firmware too

Only option is to got with QoS (Quality of service), what it does, it allows you to control which device needs more bandwidth. So essentially, you can slow down their download speeds.

ok, I will do that, but don't u need custom firmware for that?

ok, I will do that, but don't u need custom firmware for that?

You can set it up from the router. :) If it supports QoS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

You can set it up from the router. :) If it supports QoS

Router/modem combos from ISPs most of the time have the #3 issue.

2. there is not really a "fast ethernetcable" - sure there are standards but its already hard to even get an old standard cable these days so as a "fast" cable you are looking for Category 5e or above. make sure to get one with proper screening and isolation (STP/FTP/SFTP - no UTP pls)
  3. the router is only a bottleneck within the network and maybe when wifi is being overloaded so he causes timeouts on clients which is rarely the case. you'd have to have about 20 or more devices connected to reach such limits.
  4. ethernetcards are just additional NICs which you probably already have in your system soldered on your mainboard (Intel/Realtek something). if the system is younger than 2005 it should have Gigabit-network meaning you will not benefit from any newer or addtional NICs. there also is the "Killer NIC" which is marketed with lower pings etc but in most cases on modern systems it doesnt make a difference at all and mostly causes driver issues.

- how can I check if my router is tri-band, and it wil speed up my Ethernet connection

- how can I check if my router is tri-band, and it wil speed up my Ethernet connection

TriBand is not gonna improve ethernet since ethernet is not WiFi. You can check it by searching for WiFi networks with your phone or PC if your phone/PC can run 5GHz WiFi. If so it will show up as a second network. Also in the router menu you can set it all up.

Just curious: have you ever been into the routers menu before? You really should read through all the settings there before thinking about a new router or anything else. BTW if available ethernet (cable) is the way to go.. WiFi currently can't be faster than ethernet.

Just curious: have you ever been into the routers menu before? You really should read through all the settings there before thinking about a new router or anything else. BTW if available ethernet (cable) is the way to go.. WiFi currently can't be faster than ethernet.

yes, I was, port forwarding, changing security setting and other things