How good is WINE?

Zonus

Backstory:

Like many others, I upgraded to Windows 10 recently. I REALLY don't like it. My experience with it was buggy, and driver support seemed lack-luster compared to my needs.

An OS I find myself retuning to constantly is Ubuntu. Linux has always been close to my heart, but I keep finding myself on Windows since I need stuff like Photoshop and my steam library. (only 30% of my games are Linux-compatible).

While I've promised myself that I will let Windows 10 grow as an OS and let Microsoft release their first Service Pack for it, I really don't want to wait around on 8.1.

Questions:

- How good and accurate is WINE? Will I be able to use Photoshop, Maya, and play Steam games in it smoothly?

- If WINE isn't as good is I would like it to be, will running a virtual machine with Windows 7 or 8 be enough to play games and run software properly?

- How much extra RAM and CPU power does it take to run a virtual machine vs. the real thing? I currently have an i7 4770K and 8GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Like shit. Thats what. Most games wont work very well or at all. Running a virtual machine would just be a giant performance hole. Just use 8.1 or 10. My 10 has had no issues for which you might just want to google the bugs to make sure it isnt you that is the problem.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

It's because no one has any drivers for win 10 yet. Rawr. Unless you run compatibility mode

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Ahh wine... I actually enjoyed wine back on my mac a couple of years ago, and still do it for some free to play games. 

So for steam, I could not get it at all to work. it required a lot more configuration, and I didnt really feel like going into it. other stuff can work, but most of the time its really buggy. 

Bottom line is it CAN work. Everything absolutely can work. However it requires time and patience. Because Wine is REALLY buggy. 

Also, Windows 10 is working great so far. The only problem I have with it is my 580 no longer works. other than that everything else works great. 

- pretty horrible (i'd be on linux if it was any better)

- not yet.

- whatever you'll need extra to run both OSes at once, basicly think of splitting your computer in half, and using half for both.

snippity snip snip

I haven't used WINE in ages. The closest thing I've come to running Windows on Linux is the Mono framework running on a pi - and that only works with command-line stuff fluently. I'd recommend just getting Steam OS if you want to game on Linux.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Thanks everyone! 
I was really hoping to hear the opposite, but the truth is better for everyone in the long run. 

I guess I'm going to stay on 8.1 until early 2016. Then I'll have a look at the then-current state of Windows 10.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Look at the list of pre made packages in PlayOnLinux, if what you want is not there then I wouldn't bother with Wine, it can be a real pain to configure correctly.

Lord of Helium.