No POST after a long gaming session

Rohit Jackdaw

I had been playing Batman Arkham Knight for a few hours straight(Around 5 hrs) and suddenly during a fight the display went off and the computer still works and it shows high disk usage led. After waiting for a minute I pressed the rest button and he PC after few seconds went off. I pressed power button and it again went off. I tried once more and this time it just idles like fans spin but no POST. I have now turned PC off. What's the cause of this ? What to do ? Temps were fine as I remember checking temps probably sometime before fissure and it was around 60c for CPU and around 70C for GPU. Thanks.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Trouble is with this sort of thing it's hard to pinpoint the cause without spare components. :(

First off, unplug the power and leave it for 5 minutes or so to drain what power is left in the system. Clear your CMOS, plug back in and test.

If nothing then my first guesses would be GPU, RAM, Motherboard or CPU. Try re-seating and do different combinations with your RAM.

After that there's not much else you can do unless you have a spare PCI-E GPU or Motherboard somewhere, or know someone that does.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

I will try what I could and if spares are necessary then I am gonna call a technician.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Dead PSU? Dead GPU? Try the basics. One stick of ram, no GPU (use onboard gfx) and no HDD.

Only my GPU nothing onboard

After multiple tries it partially worked with keyboard led coming in both times and both of the times I got 5 beeps and then the keyboard led goes off

do you have any spare video cards? Perhaps even an old PCI card?

Nope

After multiple tries it partially worked with keyboard led coming in both times and both of the times I got 5 beeps and then the keyboard led goes off

5 Long beeps indicates an issue with the VGA card / Undetected GPU.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

that sounds like a post-code error. Check your motherboard manual to find out what it means. As

Edit: @Jlryan is probably right. this sounds like your GPU just died in the middle of gaming.

5 Long beeps indicates an issue with the VGA card / Undetected GPU.

I will try reseating GPU

that sounds like a post-code error. Check your motherboard manual to find out what it means.

I lost the manual somewhere. Gonna find somehow

I lost the manual somewhere. Gonna find somehow

Go to the manufacture's website.

This morning I simply tried to turn it on and it works now. Should I care more ? I did some gaming and its stable.

This morning I simply tried to turn it on and it works now. Should I care more ? I did some gaming and its stable.

If it's dying then it's dying. The problem will resurface in the future. Make plans while you can for a new GPU.

It's not a race to the bottom.

If it's dying then it's dying. The problem will resurface in the future. Make plans while you can for a new GPU.

All parts are still under warranty. Hope it doesn't come in the near future.