I'm having trouble geting my new built computer to post

Kyle15
Go to solution Solved by DotBowder,

The monitor I was using didnet work, i feel kinda dumb all the problem was is that the cpu wasent seated right, but it works now, thank you so much for your help tho

Glad it wasn't too complex of a fix, sometimes it can end up being a huge mess.

So I've built my computer and when I start it up all the fans spin up there is no beeps and the monitor just says no signal, All of the wires are plugged in properly, I'm thinking it might be the gpu or cpu is broken because there is a red cpu light and a light under the gpu that dosent light up at all, but I don't know for sure, can someone help me figure out the problem.

Parts.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD FX 6300

GPU: ASUS. GTX 750ti

PSU: EVGA 500W bronze

Hard drive: WD 1 TB

pull gpu out and place in another pci-e slot.

i7 5820K @ 4.4GHz | Evga GTX 980ti Superclocked | MSI X99 Sli Plus | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 | EVGA 850W Gold+ | 2TB HDD and 250GB SSD

NZXT Phantom 530 | Corsair H100i GTX | 

I can't get to the bios, and I've tried moving the gpu and it did nothing

If the CPU light is glowing red, then it's indicating it doesn't like the CPU. The CPU you have in that board was not supported on the original BIOS for the board.

The first bios version for your motherboard, that supports the CPU you're using is: 1006 (released in late 2012, several months after the boards initial bios release)

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2 CPU Support Page (I'm presuming it's PRO R2.0 because I don't see any just plain "M5A99FX" on asus's website)

If you happened to get a board that was sent to the retail business you purchased it from, before this bios revision was implemented, your board may not be able to properly support the CPU until it is flashed with a newer BIOS version.

This board has a BIOS Flashback capability (which may or may not require a working CPU already. I know that some boards don't need a working CPU, not sure if this one does or not) which may allow you to flash the bios to a newer version, which supports your CPU.

You will need another computer to prep the bios on, and then we can copy it to a flash drive and try performing the bios flash.

Download:

You will need to download the BIOS Renamer utility and the newest Bios.

Both can be found Here (Select "Other" for your OS. The BIOS Renamer utility will be under "Bios-Utilities" and the newest Bios is Version 2501 under "Bios")

Flash Prep:

Obtain a USB flash drive and format it with FAT32 (if it's already FAT or FAT32, you don't need to bother with formatting it.)

Extract both of the .ZIP folders that we just downloaded from ASUS (Bios Renamer and Bios Version 2501)

Copy the M5A99FX-PRO-R20-ASUS-2501.CAP file to the same folder with the BRenamerl.exe file in it and run the "BRenamerl.exe" file.

When you do this, it will pop up with a command prompt saying 

M5A99FX-PRO-R20-ASUS-2501.CAP ===> M5A99FX.CAPPress any key to continue...

It will have renamed the file from M5A99FX-PRO-R20-ASUS-2501.CAP to M5A99FX.CAP. 

Once you've done this, copy the M5A99FX.CAP file to the flash drive we prepared earlier (Don't put it any folders, just in the main directory for the flash drive.)

Performing the Flash:

1. Plug the flash drive into the USB port on the back labeled as "Bios Flash Back" (See manual page 65 (or 2-13 as marked in the manual) Here)

2. Now, with the system powered OFF, Press and hold the button at the bottom of your motherboard labled BIOS_FLBK for 3 seconds. After holding the button for 3 seconds, a light should begin flashing on your motherboard. When the light begins flashing, you can release the BIOS_FLBK button.

3. Wait several minutes and the light that was flashing should turn off, indicating it has completed the flash. 

4. Wait another couple minutes for good measure, then attempt to boot up the computer again and see what we get.

Ok I did that but there's still a red cpu light and it still won't go to the bios

Hmmm, when you were on step 3 of "Performing the Flash" after holding the BIOS_FLBK button, did the light turn on, flash for a while, and then turn off?

If it did, then I will assume it successfully flashed the latest bios. If it didn't then I expect that the system cannot perform a flash without a CPU already working.

If you haven't already, remove all the memory sticks except for 1 and leave it in the "DIMM_A2" slot as depicted on the manual page 24 (1-10) Here.

Try booting the system after this.

If it is exactly the same, try removing the GPU and then booting again.

If it's still exactly the same, we're going to need to check the CPU pins.

Remove the CPU cooler, then remove the CPU (make sure you clean the CPU and CPU cooler before re-applying the heat sink/thermal paste.)

On the bottom of the CPU there's a lot of pins. Look down the rows of pins to see if any of the pins are bent. Close one eye and look down one edge of the CPU, then look down the other side looking for any bent pins. If there are any pins that are obviously bent, DO NOT FIX THEM YET. Before you even begin to attempt to fix bent pins you want to at least watch some videos on how to repair them first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA

image001.jpg

Yes the light flashed then turned off, I've checked the cpu pins before but il check again

So I took the cpu fan off then took the cpu off and I guess it wasnet seated right before, still no signal to the monitor , but now the a light blink, at the cpu light then the ram light then the gpu light then the boot device light, what does that mean

It sounds like the system is posting (Getting in to the bios) but the video out to the monitor isn't working. What cable are you using to connect your monitor to your graphics card? DVI, VGA, HDMI, DP?

Edit* Depending on the monitor, it may have multiple inputs. If it has multiple inputs, it will allow you to switch between them with the buttons on the monitor. Verify that the monitor's input is set to whatever type of cable you're using to hook it to the computer.

The monitor I was using didnet work, i feel kinda dumb all the problem was is that the cpu wasent seated right, but it works now, thank you so much for your help tho

Glad it wasn't too complex of a fix, sometimes it can end up being a huge mess.