Qualcomm To Lay Off 15% of Workforce

Suika

Snapdragon.png
(click for sauce)
Slightly different layout, I'm on mobile. Might fix when I get home.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 with their in-house Exynos chip has been quite a surprise. It's a powerful phone with a great camera, it's been a great hit for them. Well, it hasn't been a great hit for Qualcomm. Nothing has really.

Qualcomm has been put in a bit of a rough spot, it's total revenue is down 14% and their net income down a whopping 35%. Talk about bad news bear. On top of Samsung and Apple designing their own SoCs, Qualcomm's Snapdragon chips have been falling behind in power, and even further with total heat output being so high deterring consumers from picking a Snapdragon powered phone. Even the Snapdragon 808, which throttles far less than the 810, gets very hot with moderate use.

And improve it must — Qualcomm's revenue of $5.8 billion for the quarter is down 14 percent from a year ago, while net income dropped a whopping 35 percent to $1.6 billion.

On top of the layoffs, Qualcomm has lowered its earning forecast. There's just not as much of a demand for Qualcomm, what with Samsung and Apple developing chips in-house, and Intel really making a push with x86 into the mobile market.

Unfortunate news to say the least, but understandable considering what's coming up. So what do you guys think, should Qualcomm continue trying in the high-end smartphone game, or are the alternatives just too good for Qualcomm to beat?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Qualcomm just needs to get something out there that does not heat up like the 810.

The 805 was pretty decent. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Yeah, my next phone will likely have Intel Inside.

Which has more to do with Intel bringing the heat than Qualcomm fucking up. (Well Qualcomm is bringing the heat, Intel is taking it out.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Which has more to do with Intel bringing the heat than Qualcomm fucking up. (Well Qualcomm is bringing the heat, Intel is taking it out.)

That, and Intel is getting into the middle budget options first like the Zen Phone 2 which is becoming rather popular.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That, and Intel is getting into the middle budget options first like the Zen Phone 2 which is becoming rather popular.

Do you have some sort of custom script-based notification that alerts you every time the word "intel" is said? It is really starting to scare me.

@OT: This just means Qualcomm is getting ready to buy AMD. Get it? Because Microsoft firing their employee's meant the exact same thing to most of the public. 

I am joking.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Do you have some sort of custom script-based notification that alerts you every time the word "intel" is said? It is really starting to scare me.

@OT: This just means Qualcomm is getting ready to buy AMD. Get it? Because Microsoft firing their employee's meant the exact same thing to most of the public. 

I am joking.

I think it is like a tingling sensation for @patrickjp93  He's sitting there having a cup of tea, and then suddenly he's gone.  The tea impacts the floor, his co-workers stunned at his sudden disappearance in to thin air, and then here he is to see what was mentioned on tech news and Intel.  It's an unpredictable super power.  He could be in a car, and then vanish--causing the car to slam in to an oil rig in the middle of the road, taking out an orphanage in the process.  Why was an orphanage next to the oil rig in the road?  Who knows!

I am joking.

I swing by the site once every hour or two and look at the articles, read the comments, and reply. Since it's just me on my lonesome when not at my job, I can only watch so much TV and only read so many coding books before I need to do something fun.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think it is like a tingling sensation for @patrickjp93  He's sitting there having a cup of tea, and then suddenly he's gone.  The tea impacts the floor, his co-workers stunned at his sudden disappearance in to thin air, and then here he is to see what was mentioned on tech news and Intel.  It's an unpredictable super power.  He could be in a car, and then vanish--causing the car to slam in to an oil rig in the middle of the road, taking out an orphanage in the process.  Why was an orphanage next to the oil rig in the road?  Who knows!

HAHAHAHA! Not at all, but idea's hilarious.

I wish I had that superpower, except it happens whenever cats are mentioned. Intel would be good too, but...cats! :3

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I swing by the site once every hour or two and look at the articles, read the comments, and reply. Since it's just me on my lonesome when not at my job, I can only watch so much TV and only read so many coding books before I need to do something fun.

Oh come on man go outside and have a bit of fun :D I understand having some alone time is awesome ( oh those sleepless nights trying to figure shit out with c++), but going out with friends is necessary :)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)