Good first Language?

Aaanum1

I went for C++ given that it's a bit of a swiss army knife of a language.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

So I really want to learn to program, but I don't what language I should learn. What would you recommend.

notification

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

You're welcome to start wherever you want, just remember it is usually very easy to switch languages. I'd personally suggest something high-level myself. An example is Lua. If you want to get into simple game development, take a look at https://love2d.org/ and http://www.lua.org/pil/ . I've never used Love2D before, but a lot of my friends have and they seem to like it. You can also take a look at Python, Javascript, PHP, etc. If you want to dive straight into the low-level stuff, (low-level meaning closer to machine code) try C++.

Most of all, have fun.

You're welcome to start wherever you want, just remember it is usually very easy to switch languages. I'd personally suggest something high-level myself. An example is Lua. If you want to get into simple game development, take a look at https://love2d.org/ and http://www.lua.org/pil/ . I've never used Love2D before, but a lot of my friends have and they seem to like it. You can also take a look at Python, Javascript, PHP, etc. If you want to dive straight into the low-level stuff, (low-level meaning closer to machine code) try C++.

Most of all, have fun.

What form of media would you recommend to learn c++?

Hello. Here are some words.

FX-8150, GTX 670, ASRock 990Fx Extreme4, 8Gb Patriot RAM, 1TB boot and Storage, Windows 7 64Bit

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.146.76:3062/

What form of media would you recommend to learn c++?

Honestly, I wouldn't pick only one.

When I learned Java, I used a mixture of videos and books.

Also, don't worry about memorizing every single detail, because that will never happen. Remember that it's completely OK to be constantly searching Google for solutions or examples for what you are trying to accomplish. Eventually, you'll remember how you fixed it before, and then you'll memorize it. For example, I used to have to search "how to make java main method" when I first started, but now I (obviously) know how to do that myself. Basically, learning by doing is the best way.

http://www.learncpp.com/

http://www.amazon.com/For-Dummies-Stephen-R-Davis/dp/0470317264

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=16

Good luck ;)

I would start with a high level language (Java or Python) and then move onto lower level languages (c++ or c).

I've just started C++ and i couldn't get my head around it, Then i did JavaScript & PHP and got it right away... so... kinda backwards JavaScript and PHP were really easy and C++ was hard i know understand C++ more how ever i think you could start with anything i would just find something that looks easy to you.

:)

Hi.

I would start with Python

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

start with c# or python , c# is fairly easy 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i dont know poop about programming but i have tried some stuff and i found basic the easyest 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Then again it doesn't really matter what language you start with.

Some basic concepts are valid for almost all programming languages.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

C is a simple language to explain the basics of most programming concepts. I started with it personally.

Java is a good language to understand object-oriented programming. The documentation does a fantastic job of explaining most of the important OOP concepts that are applicable to most languages with object support.

Python does well with both of the above concepts. You can choose either Python 2 or Python 3, or learn both as both are used in practice. Python 2 will no longer be updated, but there's still a ton of Python applications that are still using the older standard.

Dive into Python is an excellent book that teaches the basics of the language using an actual example.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Ok, what would you suggest?

Well, I don't really know.

I started with java 1st year in college (not saying that this is the best language to start), bought some books, spend an awefull lot of time in the java api specification ...

Just pick any ;)

I also like java for being cross-plattform as a Mac + Windows user ;)

I am currently learning Java from this website: http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html

Don't be fooled/put off by the ugly format, its a really great website!

He might have other languages there too if you don't want to do java.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

yep.

IMHO too bloated, too complicated for a beginner.

BS if you can't get your head around C++ you should just give up.. the basics are all the same only the syntax is different 

C++ Hello World example.

#include <iostream>  using namespace std;int main(){	cout << "Hello World!"; // Prints "Hello World!" to the console.	cin.get(); // Stops the console from closing.	return 0;}

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

BS if you can't get your head around C++ you should just give up.. the basics are all the same only the syntax is different 

*sigh*

VB.NET, Java or C#.

I started off with VB doing forms based programs like web browsers, and i started with C# and java in the first year of college with proper object oriented methods.

C++ is next for me as is much more complex :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||