Vault 111 by PEXON

pexon

Thanks so much! :D

/ / 6G V2 - MX Black / Choc Mini - MX Blue / HHKB Pro 2 (Anthracite) - Lubed and dental modded / Poker 2 - MX Black / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL(Beige) - MX Black / Filco TKL(Black) - MX Brown / V60- MX Red / V80 - MX Brown / Winkeyless B.Mini / RS84 / / 

@pexonpcs

Wow. Pretty amazing. I could never do that to my pc though.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

Thanks a lot! I did feel really bad when I was doing the acrylic yesterday, hitting it with a hammer and randomly smashing it up with a dremel was great fun though :)

/ / 6G V2 - MX Black / Choc Mini - MX Blue / HHKB Pro 2 (Anthracite) - Lubed and dental modded / Poker 2 - MX Black / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL(Beige) - MX Black / Filco TKL(Black) - MX Brown / V60- MX Red / V80 - MX Brown / Winkeyless B.Mini / RS84 / / 

@pexonpcs

Hey guys, I'm back with another update.

I am very happy to say that I have my first sponsor for this build, Overclockers! They have very kindly supplied with a Super Flower Leadex 1000W Gold PSU. I have worked with Overclockers on various project utilizing these PSUs and they are truly epic units. The build quality is awesome, they are quiet and easy to make cables for. Just go and look at any review for these PSUs and you will see how well they fair!  

I was after a Leadex PSU for one reason, the fact that they have universal connectors for EPS, PCI, Molex and SATA, this means I can switch and swap the positining of connectors and not have to worry about the lengths. If I need to, I can do all the cables for the GPU and EPS connectors off just 2 PSU connectors, meaning I can run the pump, fans etc straight from the PSU, no need for Molex male and females, adapters and so on.

Thanks again to Mark, Steven and Chris at Overclockers!

logo.gif
www.overclockers.co.uk

Superflower-logo.jpg

Here are some pics of the beaut!

WsvRo0Eh.jpg

WKBWdE9h.jpg

oZn9GSqh.jpg

EpA2WRPh.jpg

2Irxl6Jh.jpg

kDklBpeh.jpg

caaxCboh.jpg

k3cNt7gh.jpg

sHgVihfh.jpg

5gPnHANh.jpg

gE4Zc8Jh.jpg

V3IPUmCh.jpg

qNiyHGGh.jpg

whNgaASh.jpg

I didn't waste much time on getting some cables made up! A simple Molex cable in a chain of 3 to power all the LED strips in the case

CdRBr7Sh.jpg

Got the cables and strips sleeved and terminated in the top left of the case.

VyBW0aWh.jpg

Worked a treat!

L8czTuxh.jpg

g1RIpO7h.jpg

JrdhOdoh.jpg

I did actually remove the bottom LED strip and make a new one. The original one was stuck on the floor of the case, I actually installed the new one on the lip of the case, where the side panel goes on, so it cannot be seen, the glow is a little more subtle too.

wVWPewrh.jpg

Thats it for this update, I am so happy I got the PSU, now I can work on cables, even after I finished working on them for customers all day lol! :D

@pexonpcs

I don't like bumping my own threads, but I could do with some feedback please guys. 

I am wondering if blue and yellow sleeving will go with the copper pipe I am planning on using. The alternative would be do dye some sleeving, stain some grey and black sleeving or go with blue and yellow.... I just don't know. I would greatly appreciate some feedback 

@pexonpcs

I think that the blue and yellow sleeving would look quite nice.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

Yea, if I dull the blue and yellow sleeving down like I did with the SATA cables, so its not so bright, it could work. The copper pipe will be tarnished anyway, so it won't be polished and bright, that way could work quite well. 

@pexonpcs

Phanteks case? Check.

Theme is about my favorite game of all time? Check.

BJOCxpG.gif

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Oh, this is nice, great attention to detail!

As for the cables: Looking at the SATA cables I think something similar might look pretty

nice. But if you want to be sure, maybe do some samples, see how they turn out and fit into

your concept?

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hey Alpen, long time no speak dude! You good? 

I am planning on doing the same weathering technique on the main system cables as I have with the SATA. Also going to test dip the copper in salt water to see what that looks like with the cables 

@pexonpcs

He, yeah, have been busy with bad health and college, such is life. Finally vacation though

(first one in a few years actually), so yay!

And looking forward to what you come up with then. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

SNIP

I'm Thinking Of Making A Vault Themed Case,Except Its Shaped Like The Vault Door  And It Opens The Way It Does Ingame

As a fan of Fallout, I love this. Attention to detail is on point, different colors than usual, weathering, all that. :)

I would even have some ideas for you, if you want. :)

Oh and can I ask how did you weathered the keyboard, so it's comfortable to use ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

@Alpen, ah damn man, hope you are feeling better dude! I'm the same, got my first holiday in 3 years in August, desperate for a few days away! 

@Frankie, fire them over dude! The board is actually varnished, so the caps are still smooth enough to use nicely 

@pexonpcs

-snip-

fire them over dude! The board is actually varnished, so the caps are still smooth enough to use nicely 

Oh should of figure it out. I mean it's not hard to make a messy looking keyboard, what is hard is to make it look messy without the need to wash your hands everytime you use it. :D

As I was looking at it, ideas we're kinda coming to me. You said that you wanted it to look like it was used in a overseer's office and all that, so with a human touch. 

1. Duct tape

Combination of heavy duty silver duct tape, black/blue/yellow what have you electricians tape. (Blue and yellow could look like Vault Tec supplied it for the vault repairs :) ) Maybe near the cracks in the plexi and edges etc. So it looks like somebody kicked it by accident or something and was like oh shit I gotta fix this. :D

2. Coffee stains

I would imagine that the overseer would put a cup of coffee on the machine when working/talking to somebody, you know the deal. So something like a circular coffee cup stains on top of the case ? Maybe some streaks on the non-windowed side, you know little bit of coffee gets spilled but nobody see that part of the case so doesn't bother cleaning it. 

3. Date of manufacture

Cleverly shown/hiden label with a Vault Tec logo and pre-war date of manufacture ? Could be interesting little detail. I could even do something like this in PS if you don't know how. :)

Something along those lines pop into my head when watching the pictures. And yes, I can be little bit enthusiastic about this stuff. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I love the idea of the tape! That could be intersting, I will see if I have some scrap acrylic and have a play.

The idea of a name-plate or a requesition face plate engraved on metal would look EPIC! I love that idea. Enthusiasm is greatly appreciated man, its so cool you want to share some ideas about the project, that means a lot to me.

I got a little work done on the rig tonight, it literally took me 2 hours to make some custom fan cables so I can power the 2x fans that will be mounted on the bottom right of the interior and power then straight from the PSU. I have a load of ideas going through my head at the moment and I couldn't concentrare lol

@pexonpcs

It's alright man, I am not working on a Fallout mod build and like to help. Still saving money for new build that will be moded a little bit, but it will be more... well... toned down compared to this build. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I have ordered some dials and toggles to be used on the front panel of the case. I've got a digital volt meter, this probably won't fit in, but we will see. I also have a  retro  meter for the voltage and some illuminated figher pilot style toggles.

I have some ideas for a plaque that will be applied to the rear panel, like an official Vault-tec/ requisition order panel type thing...

NmeDHkkh.jpg

RKBXXFch.jpg

N0aHUQNh.jpg

Any feedback on these is appreciated, they are just ideas at the moment. Getting one of these cut out with a laser cutter or engraved onto a sheet of mild steel would be awesome.

@pexonpcs

Oh that's nice actualy, I was thinking something small inside/outside the case like this I whipped up. I could add something like Laborer: PEXON.

xnt9oke.png

Funny thing, I jumped on Google and found timeline. The resource wars/Vault constructions begin in 2050s. :)

P.S. Oh, apparently they just started building vaults in 2054 so that date is little bit too early. Can't find when build of Vault 111 started.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh that's nice actualy, I was thinking something small inside/outside the case like this I whipped up. I could add something like Laborer: PEXON.

xnt9oke.png

Funny thing, I jumped on Google and found timeline. The resource wars/Vault constructions begin in 2050s. :)

P.S. Oh, apparently they just started building vaults in 2054 so that date is little bit too early. Can't find when build of Vault 111 started.

Yea, something like that would be sick. If you want to help me out with something like this, send me a PM dude.

According to the wiki...

October 23: Fallout 4 prologue begins. The Sole Survivor and their family evacuates from their home to Vault 111. (2077)

@pexonpcs

Yea, something like that would be sick. If you want to help me out with something like this, send me a PM dude.

According to the wiki...

October 23: Fallout 4 prologue begins. The Sole Survivor and their family evacuates from their home to Vault 111. (2077)

Yeah, I was thinking about if I should PM you or just put it here, so people can see the progress and chime in.

Oh, 2077 so the PC would probably be older because it would already be in the Vault by then.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yea, thats what I was thinking. The PC would have been built a few months before the vault was opened in October.

@pexonpcs

Thanks so much man! I really want to go to town on this and as you say, break out from the normal Vault-tec colours, its Fallout inspired, not themed so I can afford a little 'artistic license' lol 

@pexonpcs

Well.. no response from either of the places I contact in regards to the brass plaque :(

Anyway, small update ahoy!

My toggle switch came in. It looks proper awesome! It came with a fighter pilot style missle switch, as well as an old school on/off faschia.

zLYrlrFh.jpg

bh5aCgoh.jpg

I also thought the front 5.25" bays would be a great place for one of the Vault 111 vinyl stickers.

dDhSB2Ih.jpg

and after some nice weathering...

KVqlrpkh.jpg

lXnwRpnh.jpg

Lc5kvh7h.jpg

9A5lpRkh.jpg

oMXu7tNh.jpg

Shame the font is not quite there to fit in with the style, its more Bioshock styled

I, personally prefer the fighter pilot style switch, so I weathered that first.

lwmNYzDh.jpg

udWc2zFh.jpg

e71ZPrrh.jpg

I also managed to get a plaque for the window side panel sorted out. There was a spare piece of steel that came off one of the panels of the case, I think it could have been on the front, but I have no idea, there is so much to the case!

I sanded the powder coating off and using a 9v battery, 2 wires (9v and ground), dipped the ground into a salt water solution and a cotton bud and starting randomly etching into the steel. There was some sweet grime coming off and after about 20 minutes, I got something I was happy with.

GG7YRBfh.jpg

The vinyl stickers were applied before the etching and weathered once I was finished.

2fA0bQNh.jpg

The white spots are from some 3M spray on contact adhesive which  was then light aflame using a Turbo lighter to create the burn marks and add some more gnar to the look of the plaque.

I used the same lighter to take off some of the shine of the vinyl sticker, I deliberately went too far on some of the edges, randomly to ensure a natural, weathered look!

Thanks for stopping by. I also got some work on wiring the bottom 4 fans too, will update tomorrow!

Cheers,

James

@pexonpcs