How much RAM neccessary to play?

Im hoping to get a laptop sometime in the future but i want to make sure i can get the specs that i need.

So on this laptop i want to play some games but the requirements are 8GBs of RAM. I want a better load time (i know that the HDD has a play in that) and Frames than in my current laptop that has 4GBs. I know this is bad that i have less RAM than recommended but what im asking is:

What effect does RAM have in a game?

Should i go for 8GB of RAM or 16 of RAM in my new laptop? (Will it not make a big difference going overboard?)

8GB is always enough for gaming and slight multitasking. 4GB just barely cuts it, so you'll want more if you're doing anything more than your mom would.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

8GB is always enough for gaming and slight multitasking. 4GB just barely cuts it, so you'll want more if you're doing anything more than your mom would.

I have 16GB and I frequently run out while gaming. Probably going to have to upgrade to 32GB soon.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I have 16GB and I frequently run out while gaming. Probably going to have to upgrade to 32GB soon.

WHAT?

Seriously what games are you running?

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

What kind of games do you play? It sounds like you've either got viruses or think downloaded RAM is real.

That doesnt sound right lmao

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

That doesnt sound right lmao

What kind of games do you play? It sounds like you've either got viruses or think downloaded RAM is real.

LOL. Don't be such a scrub.

WHAT?

Seriously what games are you running?

I usually use around 8GB idling with my normal programs open.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I use 6GB with 4 chrome tabs, skype call, and a game running. Maxing out 16GB is not normal.

Ok im not sure if trolling or not anymore...

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

8GB is plenty.  If you are using more than 8GB, stop using Chrome, switch to Firefox.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

4 chrome tabs

4 chrome tabs,

4 chrome tabs,

4 chrome tabs,

Sounds like you have several hundred too many chrome tabs open and games running, 8gb is standard for even high end gamers usually. Only reason to need more should be rendering or editing.

Sounds like you have several hundred too many chrome tabs open and games running, 8gb is standard for even high end gamers usually. Only reason to need more should be rendering or editing.

>implying an absolute

>mfw nothing is absolute

eO87KiG.jpg

4 chrome tabs

4 chrome tabs,

4 chrome tabs,

4 chrome tabs,

wat

wat

I have like usually 50+ in one window and 30+ in my Skyrim modding window.

and other window with random stuff

I have like usually 50+ in one window and 30+ in my Skyrim modding window.

and other window with random stuff

WHO THE HELL WOULD NEED THAT MANY TABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO THE HELL WOULD NEED THAT MANY TABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me.

eO87KiG.jpg

AS most of the guys said: 8 Gb of RAM is ok, you should focus more on the speed of the RAM than the amount of it though...

Don't get mad, get even...

What do you have open, if I may ask?

Lots of tabs

With GTA 5 and regular background processes and maybe a couple chrome tabs, I'm usually at 90% free ram of my 8GB of ram (and usually 90-99% cpu usage but that's a different story). With ram prices slowly going down, 8gb is really pushing it and more doesn't hurt, unless they charge an exorbitant amount.