Reference GTX 970 With Kraken G10?

Zayzo

So i had a $50 best buy gift card around so i went by my local Best Buy and they had an Nvidia Reference card for $329.99.... so i used my gift card and bought it. I only payed $280 out of pocket and finally got rid of a gift card i've had for months. The only problem is its super loud and overclocking with the blower cooler is pretty meh. I'm pretty set on getting the Kraken G10 with some Asetek AiO but i just wanted to ask others what their experiences were with similar setups. Thanks in advance! :)

I had it on my old 760's and while it keeps the core fairly cool (depends on the cards tdp, and the cooler you pick), it does nothing about the vrms (it has a fan, but its borderline useless, as it likely does not even point at the vrms), which can get pretty toasty (not enough to throttle, but if you plan on overclocking, it will strain them more, and when they hav no cooling, it can get hairy...

I used h55's on the 760's, and they were around the 60C mark (which isnt amazing for a card that does not pull that much power)

tldr, it will take a bit of work, and the tubing runs can be pretty annoying (again, depends on the cooler you get), but it performs decent.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

@Faceman

He'll help you out. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I had it on my old 760's and while it keeps the core fairly cool (depends on the cards tdp, and the cooler you pick), it does nothing about the vrms (it has a fan, but its borderline useless, as it likely does not even point at the vrms), which can get pretty toasty (not enough to throttle, but if you plan on overclocking, it will strain them more, and when they hav no cooling, it can get hairy...

I used h55's on the 760's, and they were around the 60C mark (which isnt amazing for a card that does not pull that much power)

tldr, it will take a bit of work, and the tubing runs can be pretty annoying (again, depends on the cooler you get), but it performs decent.

You buy small heatsinks for the vrm cooling. The fan blows away the excess heat off the heatsinks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

You buy small heatsinks for the vrm cooling. The fan blows away the excess heat off the heatsinks.

Can you post some suggestions for specific models for sale?

Can you post some suggestions for specific models for sale?

I use these heatsinks. They're better than copper in this situation since they're lighter and they won't fall off.

http://goo.gl/YDTzJt

So i had a $50 best buy gift card around so i went by my local Best Buy and they had an Nvidia Reference card for $329.99.... so i used my gift card and bought it. I only payed $280 out of pocket and finally got rid of a gift card i've had for months. The only problem is its super loud and overclocking with the blower cooler is pretty meh. I'm pretty set on getting the Kraken G10 with some Asetek AiO but i just wanted to ask others what their experiences were with similar setups. Thanks in advance! :)

The 970s are different from other GPUs in that they have the VRMs on the left side of the GPU Die, but the G10 was designed to be used on for VRMs on the right side.  This isn't the end of the world, plenty of people still do the G10 mod to their 970s, but it requires a little more patience and product than just the G10.  Alternatively, you could consider the Corsair HG10 970 model.  If you are still interested in doing the G10, I will be happy to assist.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The 970s are different from other GPUs in that they have the VRMs on the left side of the GPU Die, but the G10 was designed to be used on for VRMs on the right side.  This isn't the end of the world, plenty of people still do the G10 mod to their 970s, but it requires a little more patience and product than just the G10.  Alternatively, you could consider the Corsair HG10 970 model.  If you are still interested in doing the G10, I will be happy to assist.

The only issue i have with the corsair option is you cannot change out their stock fan like you can with the g10.

The only issue i have with the corsair option is you cannot change out their stock fan like you can with the g10.

Is the blower fan of the HG10 that bad?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The way they set it up is to work with reference cards so you'd still be using the blower fan that you already have on your card

I've heard some AiOs can have loud pumps, do you know which ones tend to be the quietest? I have a Bequiet cooler on my cpu as it was cheap and more than enough for a stock i5. Its super quiet too so the only thing i hear right now in my case is the reference cooler on my GTX 970. 

I've heard some AiOs can have loud pumps, do you know which ones tend to be the quietest? I have a Bequiet cooler on my cpu as it was cheap and more than enough for a stock i5. Its super quiet too so the only thing i hear right now in my case is the reference cooler on my GTX 970. 

There are some AIOs that have loud pumps, but it can be a simple fix most of the time:

I would go with an H55.

I use these heatsinks. They're better than copper in this situation since they're lighter and they won't fall off.

http://goo.gl/YDTzJt

Can you remove the heatsinks if you need to put the stock cooler back on?

Can you remove the heatsinks if you need to put the stock cooler back on?

Yep. Use double-sided sticky thermal pads.