Unable to adjust voltage on R9 290

Litargirio
Go to solution Solved by Litargirio,

It works, it's letting me adjust the voltage now. Thanks for the help.

Now that I've gotten another 290, I've noticed that the main card, which now sits right below the second card gets much hotter compared to what it used to before.

Anyway, I wanted to undervolt them GPUs a little to make them run cooler, I've tried MSI Afterburner, Gigabyte OC Guru and Sapphire TriXX, but I keep having the same issue: the voltage control is... locked! For all of them. Of course hitting the unlock voltage control won't do a thing. It just won't let me change the GPU voltage.

Any idea how to fix this?  :wacko:

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Maybe change the bios switch ( switch off the pc and change it ) ?

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Maybe change the bios switch ( switch off the pc and change it )

Hmmm... I only see controls for the CPU and RAM here. There is no GPU control in the BIOS... or is there?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Hmmm... I only see controls for the CPU and RAM here. There is no GPU control in the BIOS... or is there?

No, the card has a BIOS switch on the PCB ( where the xfire connector would be )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

CCC does this itself.  Why use another program?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Cos CCC is shit in comparison to 3rd party OC tools....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

No, the card has a BIOS switch on the PCB ( where the xfire connector would be )

Ok, I found and flicked the switch on both cards... now what?

Ok, I found and flicked the switch on both cards... now what?

Reboot, so it reloads with the new bios.

Windows may wanna do a driver install again if it sees a new device (diff bios = diff card to load drivers for), sometimes not...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Reboot, so it reloads with the new bios.

Windows may wanna do a driver install again if it sees a new device (diff bios = diff card to load drivers for), sometimes not...

I rebooted already but everything seems the same... voltage is still locked.

Edited by Litargirio

I rebooted already but everything seems the same... voltage is still locked.

Both are probably voltage locked then...

What you can do... (Cos you have a switch for 2 profiles)

Is flash another unlocked voltage cards bios onto yours (onto switch position 1 or 2) and leave the other one alone (stock)

/What make&models do you have?

Both are probably voltage locked then...

What you can do... (Cos you have a switch for 2 profiles)

Is flash another unlocked voltage cards bios onto yours (onto switch position 1 or 2) and leave the other one alone (stock)

/What make&models do you have?

It's the MSI Twin Frozr one. Which makes me kinda doubt that the card would be voltage locked and makes me think that I'm missing something. 

Also, I don't have any other graphics cards

By the way, isn't that switch next to the (absent) crossfire connector a fan control to switch between quiet and uber mode?

Under MSI Afterburner for unlock voltage control, make sure it is set to extended MSI and not the reference design or standard MSI then reboot your PC.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

By the way, isn't that switch next to the (absent) crossfire connector a fan control to switch between quiet and uber mode?

Yes, but both positions are different bios's, with diff fan curves.

Under MSI Afterburner for unlock voltage control, make sure it is set to extended MSI and not the reference design or standard MSI then reboot your PC.

Derp on me.. forgot that MSI config stuff. Oh well, sorted eventually :P