How much does streaming affect performance?

I went and did my own micro-benchmark suite this morning because I was curious to see how much Xsplit taxes my system while under a game load.

However, I was not expecting this much.

m939s0.jpg

I dropped at least 5 FPS in almost each category over the entire test. Mind you these are still well within the comfortable range of playability, i fear for those who play more competitive eSports such as CS:GO, where the latency and fps matter.

i5-12600k, 3090 Gaming X Trio

We'll settle this the old navy way: First guy to die, LOSES!

were you using cpu or gpu encoding. 5 fps is nothing.  :lol: also what settings 720p30? 720p60? 1080p30?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Depends what kind of streaming

you should be using nvidia  shadowplay, that uses the built in H264 encoder on your gpu :)

looks like crap at low bitrates, for streaming.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

you should be using nvidia  shadowplay, that uses the built in H264 encoder on your gpu :)

If you play Solitaire sure.  Twitch accepts a max of 3500kbps ingest, and at that bitrate, NVENC and any hardware encode will be utterly terrible.  x264 at 3500kbps is tons better looking at the cost of CPU performance.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I used my cpu for h.264 encoding, as it was sitting at about 30 percent utilization throughout. xsplit also caps you at 30 fps for non-premium. There is plenty of headroom for the cpu.

I can do these numbers again for dgpu encoding, if you like.

OBS for streaming? maybe?

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

I used my cpu for h.264 encoding, as it was sitting at about 30 percent utilization throughout. xsplit also caps you at 30 fps for non-premium. There is plenty of headroom for the cpu.

I can do these numbers again for dgpu encoding, if you like.

Also take into account that I am running budget hardware. The 750 Ti wouldn't be able to handle that kind of a load simultaneously while gaming