Microsoft to Announce Self-Publishing Indies on Xbox One & Dev Kit Spotted

EChondo

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/24/microsoft-to-announce-indie-self-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx

Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August. Microsoft has verified our report. Confirmation has also been provided regarding Xbox One retail consoles serving as developer kits. This is an enormous change to the landscape, and supports the move to allow independent developers to self-publish. 

Sweet. One more successful step to more games!

Here is the Dev Kit:

image_306740_fit_940.jpg

To be honest....I really like the white...but I'd rather have purple!

*Edit

More information on this;

Supposedly when you buy the Xbox One, you can use it as a development kit. It won't be available at launch, but Microsoft intends to let everyone that has a Xbox One to turn it into a development kit, but for $150 a year.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553946/microsoft-details-xbox-one-indie-self-publishing

Interesting stuff. I guess we will see how all this pans out.

Oh so they changed there minds now, last i heard they said: no publisher? No indies on xbone.

As far as I know, that was the system.

It looks like they indeed changed their minds, again.

What if indies decide to develop games for console instead of PC? :( 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

What if indies decide to develop games for console instead of PC? :(

And be on a closed down platform where you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to update your game?

I doubt it. I can see them going to PS4, but they all know they will make tons of money if they go PC, between the Humble Bundle and Steam, there's way more money to be had there.

i like the console in white... XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

To update.

More information on this;

Supposedly when you buy the Xbox One, you can use it as a development kit. It won't be available at launch, but Microsoft intends to let everyone that has a Xbox One to turn it into a development kit, but for $150 a year.

Source: http://www.polygon.c...self-publishing

Interesting stuff. I guess we will see how all this pans out.

Updated the OP with this. I guess we will be seeing more and more Indie games on the Xbox One, if people actually use it for that feature, that is.

And be on a closed down platform where you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to update your game?

I doubt it. I can see them going to PS4, but they all know they will make tons of money if they go PC, between the Humble Bundle and Steam, there's way more money to be had there.

Apparently, MS stopped charging for game updates as of June http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23448632

In June, Microsoft stopped charging developers for updating their games on the Xbox 360 in a sign that it was responding to criticism from the indie community.

But the PC is still a much easier platform to develop for and market on, so most devs will either stick with PC or try their hand at both platforms. It is the PC community which seems to do most of the game marketing too. Obviously some devs will probably switch though, but not too many (hopefully)

HTTP/2 203