Archery and pre-gunpowder weapons talk thread thing

techswede

Fixed that for you... :lol:

Jokes aside, looks awesome and also sounds practical for a sword.

Speaking of sounds. The way it rings when it cuts is pretty neat

lol, that's what I meant. Japan went totally overboard with form over function for their swords. They were ceremonial weapons, for the most part. Germany, on the other hand, has a reputation for psychotically obsessing over the opposite. That sword will kill you in the most efficiently German way possible. :D

The katana worked well. In japan^^ 

But going without a proper guard in europe is just asking for trouble. 

The messer was historically a weapon for the regular person. Since they weren't allowed to carry swords.

So they flattened the tang and riveted the wood to the side (Knife construction) So it was technically a knife xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Speaking of sounds. The way it rings when it cuts is pretty neat

The katana worked well. In japan^^ 

But going without a proper guard in europe is just asking for trouble. 

The messer was historically a weapon for the regular person. Since they weren't allowed to carry swords.

So they flattened the tang and riveted the wood to the side (Knife construction) So it was technically a knife xD

Dat noise it makes when it cuts things... Could listen to it for hours.

Now only if that logic applied here as well... We aren't allowed to carry knives in public areas (isn't this a thing for most of the first world countries as well?) but when it comes to your own home / some rural area away from people, you can carry one, no matter the length, shape, nor size. So while the very few people who might pass by could call for police, in theory, you should be legally allowed to walk around with say for example a Zweihänder as long as you are away from civilization (woods / fields with land owner's permission, own home etc.)... :lol:

I'm still more into Japanese weaponry though, but would definitely be cool to handle / own for example a Messer.

EDIT: Laws are sometimes a silly thing...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Dat noise it makes when it cuts things... Could listen to it for hours.

Now only if that logic applied here as well... We aren't allowed to carry knives in public areas (isn't this a thing for most of the first world countries as well?) but when it comes to your own home / some rural area away from people, you can carry one, no matter the length, shape, nor size. So while the very few people who might pass by could call for police, in theory, you should be legally allowed to walk around with say for example a Zweihänder as long as you are away from civilization (woods / fields with land owner's permission, own home etc.)... :lol:

I'm still more into Japanese weaponry though, but would definitely be cool to handle / own for example a Messer.

EDIT: Laws are sometimes a silly thing...

When i build my future house in the woods i'll definately carry a sword around just because. On wood walks

(Mostly because if i encountered a bear (which is rare as all hell) I want my obituairy to read "Died fighting a bear with a sword") 

I actually own a blowgun xD 

They can be pretty powerfull but i can't see why they would be banned..

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

When i build my future house in the woods i'll definately carry a sword around just because. On wood walks

(Mostly because if i encountered a bear (which is rare as all hell) I want my obituairy to read "Died fighting a bear with a sword") 

I actually own a blowgun xD 

They can be pretty powerfull but i can't see why they would be banned..

That sure would sound awesome... :lol:

Not sure if blowguns are illegal here or not... Probably as legal as bows are (the only limitation is that you can't buy if you are under 18 year sold without parent supervision, but no-one cares about that...)

I'd like to try using a blowgun. Though as for owning throwing weapons, I'd probably want throwing spikes (Bo-shuriken) more... For some reason I just seem to have a thing for ninja tools (not necessarily weapons). Not much of a climber, but still would be interesting to practice climbing with a kanigawa (grappling hook) or shuko / neko-te (?) (climbing claws).

But yeah, that idea of walking around in your own property with a sword sounds awesome.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

That sure would sound awesome... :lol:

Not sure if blowguns are illegal here or not... Probably as legal as bows are (the only limitation is that you can't buy if you are under 18 year sold without parent supervision, but no-one cares about that...)

I'd like to try using a blowgun. Though as for owning throwing weapons, I'd probably want throwing spikes (Bo-shuriken) more... For some reason I just seem to have a thing for ninja tools (not necessarily weapons). Not much of a climber, but still would be interesting to practice climbing with a kanigawa (grappling hook) or shuko / neko-te (?) (climbing claws).

But yeah, that idea of walking around in your own property with a sword sounds awesome.

Blowguns are sort of fun. Not as fun as bows though :/ 

I dunno, I think I'd have a bow, sword and a sling. Because slings are by no means pushover weapons, they're freakin' dangerous.

when I was a child my dad showed us how to make a blow gun out of small pipe and darts out of nails and straight pins lol that was fun

I dunno, I think I'd have a bow, sword and a sling. Because slings are by no means pushover weapons, they're freakin' dangerous.

Slings seem like they'd be fun to try^^ 

when I was a child my dad showed us how to make a blow gun out of small pipe and darts out of nails and straight pins lol that was fun

I have a proper store bought one. And it would penetrate a steel belted radial tyre.. (I missed once and hit my cars tyre)

Slings seem like they'd be fun to try^^ 

I have a proper store bought one. And it would penetrate a steel belted radial tyre.. (I missed once and hit my cars tyre)

the store bought one I had was rather cheap and only a slight step up from what we were making in the past.

One movie sword i would like to own in the future is the mountains upscaled irish longsword

689147d72c25617c8e5509f24cb44e54.jpg

That man is 205cm tall for scale

One movie sword i would like to own in the future is the mountains upscaled irish longsword

689147d72c25617c8e5509f24cb44e54.jpg

That man is 205cm tall for scale

I'd rather have Ned Stark's sword. Because he's a pretty big man, and that sword is waaaaaay oversized. But it's still a reasonably realistic size for a sword.

I'd rather have Ned Stark's sword. Because he's a pretty big man, and that sword is waaaaaay oversized. But it's still a reasonably realistic size for a sword.

I would like to have ice as well. (Tv version. Not book version) Since the replica that is for sale is made out of folded steel (To mimic valyrian steel) 

But the mountains sword is an absolutely monstrous hunk of steel xD 

I mean. Even Hafpor has trouble swinging it.

xlarge537a7498d540f.jpg

Mountain-Viper.png

I would like to have ice as well. (Tv version. Not book version) Since the replica that is for sale is made out of folded steel (To mimic valyrian steel) 

But the mountains sword is an absolutely monstrous hunk of steel xD 

I mean. Even Hafpor has trouble swinging it.

xlarge537a7498d540f.jpg

Mountain-Viper.png

I really liked that fight except for the end. Good example of speed, agility and accuracy versus brute strenght. Oberyn could easily have won that fight if he'd just stabbed the Mountain in the throat, but he was just too arrogant.

I used to enjoy archery. Then my local club closed down. I had a set of x10s which I saved for eventually sold a lot of the stuff at a huge loss though :(.

I still have a few aluminium arrows and my very first bow I think it was 28lb I should dig it out and have a look.

Always got stage fright in competitions though.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I really liked that fight except for the end. Good example of speed, agility and accuracy versus brute strenght. Oberyn could easily have won that fight if he'd just stabbed the Mountain in the throat, but he was just too arrogant.

Yeah i liked it too. The ending had me feeling sick for a week though :/

And i was genuinely surprised at the speed the mountain moved at.

Oberyn could probably have stabbed him in the face. But his neck is a bit too well protected by his gorget and the mail underneath

I used to enjoy archery. Then my local club closed down. I had a set of x10s which I saved for eventually sold a lot of the stuff at a huge loss though :(.

I still have a few aluminium arrows and my very first bow I think it was 28lb I should dig it out and have a look.

Always got stage fright in competitions though.

I used to get massive stage fright when i was starting out in martial arts. It disappears over time

But it was ridiculous stuff like "What if i punch this guy wrong.." xD

Another set of swords from pop culture that i really want are the swords from the witcher universe.

GERALT-OF-RIVIA.jpg

And someday when i get a job im definately making that armor

I found a danish longsword that looks sort of like the silver sword

1352_01_org.jpg

z7jyZZZ.png

But this one would probably have to be custom made

screen141.png

I always wanted me a LotR sword replica (not necessarily official) :3

Or a Greek kopis type of thing. (I think that's what they're called) 

Also, man the Mountains's sword is just ridiculous, 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2e/b8/d1/2eb8d1c9e79a5590f66bbd9a9dbfe7a1.jpg

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Tried practicing some techniques.. But i was disarmed

XUK65sb.jpg

We have the same cat. :P

Half ragdoll half swedish farmcat xD

Tried practicing some techniques.. But i was disarmed

XUK65sb.jpg

We have the same cat. :P

What is this? We have 2 cats, and the younger of them (5+ years old) also looks just like that cat.

What is this? We have 2 cats, and the younger of them (5+ years old) also looks just like that cat.

Lol, this is hilarious! So statistically speaking, people who come onto tech forums to talk about medieval weaponry are the most likely group to have a particular breed of household cat!

The more you know xD

Lol, this is hilarious! So statistically speaking, people who come onto tech forums to talk about medieval weaponry are the most likely group to have a particular breed of household cat!

The more you know xD

Do people really go be breed of cat? I can understand some breeds but most cats we have ever owned I never even knew what breed there were and usually just ended up with a random cat from something or another.