£850-ish Gaming PC Build - Help Requested

Hi everyone

Here I have my thoughts on an upcoming PC Build I may be undertaking. I would like suggestions on what is good and what is bad.

I will use the PC mostly for gaming - GTA V, Skyrim, etc - and some Photoshop and other Adobe CC products.

If this is a good system I will purchase everything except for the black RAM kit and hard drive, which I can add later if I need them. The build is also set out for an upgrade path of another 970 in the further, if I could afford that.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£155.94 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£84.53 @ Dabs) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£48.79 @ CCL Computers)  (Would buy later on) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£68.70 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.97 @ CCL Computers) (Would buy later on)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£263.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case  (£55.90 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £846.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 22:49 BST+0100

Thanks  :)

I assume you mean you will buy one of the RAM kits not both?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

you better go with a i7-4790k for the cpu

no  <_<

Could do with a better case like Nzxt s340, could do with a better power supply.

z97 board.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No need at all, games at the moment will not benefit from hyper threading at all. There will be no difference in game. Photoshop will be fine with a 4690K also, however you should specify what other products you will be using and what for.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

If the focus is largely on content creation, then yes to the i7.

Otherwise, you should be fine with the 4690k.

And I'd suggest going with a more popular SSD - something like the Crucial BX100 or the Samsung 850 Evo.

Sig under construction.

You can do a little better on the PSU, motherboard front

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£22.74 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£97.25 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£88.04 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£70.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£263.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Novatech) 
Total: £856.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:02 BST+0100

Better case
Better cooler
Better motherboard
Much better PSU
Better SSD

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I assume you mean you will buy one of the RAM kits not both?

I would buy one first and then later buy the other

no  <_<

Could do with a better case like Nzxt s340, could do with a better power supply.

z97 board.

Recommendations for the mobo and psu?

If the focus is largely on content creation, then yes to the i7.

Otherwise, you should be fine with the 4690k.

And I'd suggest going with a more popular SSD - something like the Crucial BX100 or the Samsung 850 Evo.

Yeah focus is mainly on gaming with a little bit of Adobe CC on the side. BX100 is only £2 more than the one I picked so might as well.

You can do a little better on the PSU, motherboard front

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£22.74 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£97.25 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£88.04 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£70.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Novatech) 
Total: £856.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:02 BST+0100

Better case
Better cooler
Better motherboard
Much better PSU
Better SSD

You seem to have sorted out everything for me

Thanks everyone!  :D

Hi everyone

Here I have my thoughts on an upcoming PC Build I may be undertaking. I would like suggestions on what is good and what is bad.

I will use the PC mostly for gaming - GTA V, Skyrim, etc - and some Photoshop and other Adobe CC products.

If this is a good system I will purchase everything except for the black RAM kit and hard drive, which I can add later if I need them. The build is also set out for an upgrade path of another 970 in the further, if I could afford that.

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£84.53 @ Dabs) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£48.79 @ CCL Computers)  (Would buy later on) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£68.70 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.97 @ CCL Computers) (Would buy later on)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case  (£55.90 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £846.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 22:49 BST+0100

Thanks  :)

Hey Deadkity,

The plan seems good. The guys also gave you some good suggestions. 
With the Z87 motherboard you would most probably need an update on the BIOS in order to run that CPU. I would consider getting a newer motherboard to avoid that. 
You should be fine with this setup for pretty much all games and should also perform well for editing. 
I would consider getting 1x8GB memory stick now and another 8GB when you can afford it to make a better use of the dual-channel support of the motherboard (since the Z87 and Z97 chips don't support quad-channel) .

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Deadkity,

The plan seems good. The guys also gave you some good suggestions. 
With the Z87 motherboard you would most probably need an update on the BIOS in order to run that CPU. I would consider getting a newer motherboard to avoid that. 
You should be fine with this setup for pretty much all games and should also perform well for editing. 
I would consider getting 1x8GB memory stick now and another 8GB when you can afford it to make a better use of the dual-channel support of the motherboard (since the Z87 and Z97 chips don't support quad-channel) .

Captain_WD.

Thanks. Will hopefully be purchasing the parts Alive Ghost suggested in the very near future. Can't wait!