Your thoughts on sff builds?

Hello, how are you?

I have been seeing online that small form factor builds are growing in popularity,

Gaming builds based on matx and even mitx are popular.

With this in mind,mi was wondering what are your thoughts on this,

Do you like sff builds?

What do you see as being the pros and the main trade offs against tax gaming builds?

Cheers!

matx is just cheaper for example in budget builds.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Smaller builds leads to more condensed builds, which leads to higher temperatures, which often results in thermal throttling. Small Form Factor builds are more of a science than traditional builds, which, for those passionate, it can be a lot of fun. To me, they look neat, and I enjoy seeing Build Logs of them. The furthest I'd ever go myself would be a Corsair Air 540, which isn't even SFF. 

better to have mid towers. idk why ppl want small when you can go HUGE which is the way i like it

I prefer SFF. If I could get rid of my big bulky full tower I would. More console gamers are coming to pc, looking for just a gaming experience. Console-Like cases are great for that group. And also, you dont need all the expand-ability of the larger cases if all you're doing is gaming. Bitfenix Prodigy M pls gib.

Read my member title.

I really love that they're small, easy to transport, and can fit in tight spots. Ok, sure no multi-card setups, VERY limited air cooling support, and it can get a little hot in there, but they're still awesome, packing an entire gaming rig in your suitcase, but you can get high end GPUs, AIO coolers, and temps don't get too bad if you choose the right case

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I'm actually trying to build a SFF rig soon. I don't have the need for more than one PCI-E slot, and don't need any HDD cages as I only use a msata ssd. I think SFF builds look better than large towers like the 900D. Also, more skill is needed to make a SFF build look nice since there is basically no space on the inside.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Also, more skill is needed to make a SFF build look nice since there is basically no space on the inside.

That was my first build. Inside a CM elite 130 ITX system

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Hello, how are you?

I have been seeing online that small form factor builds are growing in popularity,

Gaming builds based on matx and even mitx are popular.

With this in mind,mi was wondering what are your thoughts on this,

Do you like sff builds?

What do you see as being the pros and the main trade offs against tax gaming builds?

Cheers!

when they have a windows and nice parts they look really apealing and are great for taking to LAn partys etc 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

• 1 month later...

I love SFF,  especially for computers that don't live on a desk (e.g. one under my TV in the lounge, one behind the TV in the kitchen) but I get constantly frustrated with the GPU selection for them - Half-Height cards (as used the world-over in servers) just don't seem to be well catered for in the Graphics department:  I can get quad-gigabit NICs, dual 10Gbs NICs, sound cards, video capture, SCSI, SAS, SATA, FibreChannel, Converged Ethernet, dedicated cryptography, just about anything....but I can't seem to find a decent GPU.  I am not asking the earth:  I know that a half-height Titan X is an impossibility - equally, it's hugely frustrating that my ultrabook has better graphical chops than every aftermarket GPU I've tried:   would it really be sooo hard for nVidia or AMD to release a reference design for their mobile GPUs on a teeny PCIe card?  Yes, it will be expensive, but surely that's not the point.

What decent, 1080p capable SFF (half-height, not half-length) cards have you guys had the est results with?