How should I connect dual monitors?

itaroken_
Go to solution Solved by Oseth,

Would that keep 1080p quality? And also, any good suggestions for a converter for DisplayPort to HDMI?

It certainly would keep everything at 1080p and doesn't really matter which converter to use for DisplayPort.

If I have one TV with 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA and a new monitor with 2 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, how would I connect them for a dual monitor setup? Would I just use two HDMI cables?

Thanks

itaroken

-snip-

HDMI > HDMI

DVI-I > VGA

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends what outputs you have on your graphics card. If you have 2 HDMI outputs then use them. If not then what outputs do you have?

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

HDMI > HDMI

DVI-I > VGA

Would using VGA let anything down?

itaroken

Does your GFX card have two HDMI ports? If yes then use two HDMI ports.

Meh, not a whole lot.

You can also do:

HDMI > HDMI

DVI-D > HDMI

Just take a look at the prices of DVI-I > VGA converters and DVI-D > HDMI converters/cables

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

VGA only allows you to go 720p. DVI and HDMI can push to 1080p

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Depends what outputs you have on your graphics card. If you have 2 HDMI outputs then use them. If not then what outputs do you have?

I have

Dual-link DVI-I x 1

Dual-link DVI-D x 1

DisplayPort x 1

HDMI x 1

itaroken

VGA only allows you to go 720p. DVI and HDMI can push to 1080p

No.. That's not true..

I have been using VGA for ages with 1080p?

You can use the HDMI to go to one monitor, then use the DVI-D to HDMI adapter to get the other monitor working. Avoid VGA if you can, it's a thing of the past now

I have

Dual-link DVI-I x 1

Dual-link DVI-D x 1

DisplayPort x 1

HDMI x 1

I would use the native HDMI to the TV and convert DisplayPort to HDMI to Monitor if the monitor does not have a DVI on it.

If the monitor doe shave DVI then go DVI > Monitor and HDMI > TV.

No.. That's not true..

I have been using VGA for ages with 1080p?

Yes but with crappy quality. The quality of the signal drops off at about this resolution and you will get a crappy image because of the nature of the analogue signal.

VGA has the potential to have lesser image quality due to being anolog so if the VGA plug is made poorly the quality of the signal is harmed VS most modern connectors being digital signals which means if the cable is intact and functioning  it gets there 100% every time, with a potential middle ground being a cable that cuts out randomly. Some cables also have greater limitations than other in regards to displaying certain resolutions at high refresh rates, no idea what VGAs are.

For the most part though it should be fine as long as the VGA adapter isn't complete garbage. 

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

vga is analogue, dvi and hdmi are digital. use digital.

I would use the native HDMI to the TV and convert DisplayPort to HDMI to Monitor if the monitor does not have a DVI on it.

If the monitor doe shave DVI then go DVI > Monitor and HDMI > TV.

Would that keep 1080p quality? And also, any good suggestions for a converter for DisplayPort to HDMI?

itaroken

Just use a connector that fits.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

It certainly would keep everything at 1080p and doesn't really matter which converter to use for DisplayPort.

itaroken