[Question] Removing Shroud from Asus Strix GTX 960 - 980 Series

Hello All,

I have ordered an Asus Strix GTX 960.
I wish to paint both the fans and the shroud to match my case and theme.

Just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to remove the shroud and fans without taking of the heatsink, the only tear down i have seen, seems to take off the whole heatsink then takes of the shroud. I'd rather not do this, i am fairly new to pc buidling/modding, and don't beleive i will apply the thermal compound correctly when putting the heatsink back on.

Can anyone help on this point?

The later parts of this video may help with reapplying thermal compound:

Sig under construction.

Yes. Just look at all the screws. Removing the shroud will require the using most of them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes. Just look at all the screws. Removing the shroud will require the using most of them. 

Wait are you saying its possible to remove the shroud and fans without taking of the heatsink from the GPU?

The card is still in the mail, so I can't inspect the screws. Just planning ahead.

Wait are you saying its possible to remove the shroud and fans without taking of the heatsink from the GPU?

The card is still in the mail, so I can't inspect the screws. Just planning ahead.

Oh, I missed the part about taking off the heatsink--you'll have to do that. Thermal paste shouldn't be an issue. Just leave that alone and don't wipe it off.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hello All,

I have ordered an Asus Strix GTX 960.

I wish to paint both the fans and the shroud to match my case and theme.

Just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to remove the shroud and fans without taking of the heatsink, the only tear down i have seen, seems to take off the whole heatsink then takes of the shroud. I'd rather not do this, i am fairly new to pc buidling/modding, and don't beleive i will apply the thermal compound correctly when putting the heatsink back on.

Can anyone help on this point?

first please don't paint the fan it can ruin them because it screws up the balance. Second I have a 970 strix and I'm trying the same thing but you either have to take the cooler off or you can grab oNE of the multi tip screw driver and grind down the metal that slides in the screw driver enough to fit it under the cooler. The only spots where there's screws under the cooler is on one end and there's only two screws the rest can be easily taken out
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Here's the screw driver tip that I mean

post-68877-0-53333700-1432831873_thumb.p

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

U only need a normal size Phillips (star) screw driver bit. But you might have to grind it down so it's short enough to get under the cooler

Spoiler

and a car thread !