Overkill for LoL?

Fricey
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

So my build would be $1000. The games i'm playing on playing is League of Legends, Mortal Kombat X and Nine, and Shadow of Mordors. I need a OS too that will be included in my budget.

Processor: I5-4690k

Graphics Card: Gigabyte G1 970

Ram: Crucial Balilistix 8gb 

MotherBoard: Asrock Z97 Pro

Case: Corsair Spec-02

Storage: WD 1TB and 120gb Pny1100

PSU: 600 Watt EVGA

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212

Shadow of Mordor is a lot more demanding than LoL. A 970 wouldn't be a bad match for the game at 1080p or higher resolutions. 

So I'm getting a new gaming pc with a budget of $1000 so I got a 970. I plan on playing some other games but there not that demanding so is the 970 a little overkill for my computer? 

Probably much more than just a little overkill.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Probably much more than just a little overkill.

Do you know which one I should get? Maybe a 960 or 285?

Do you know which one I should get? Maybe a 960 or 285?

It would help to plan the system as a whole and provide a few more examples of the games you're planning to play.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So I'm getting a new gaming pc with a budget of $1000 so I got a 970. I plan on playing some other games but there not that demanding so is the 970 a little overkill for my computer? 

Examples would be great. You want to have some headroom so your card does not become obsolete, but you don't want it to e so overkill that you are NEVER using the extra power. To judge it, we would need examples, your settings, and the rest of your setup

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

It would help to plan the system as a whole and provide a few more examples of the games you're planning to play.

Examples would be great. You want to have some headroom so your card does not become obsolete, but you don't want it to e so overkill that you are NEVER using the extra power. To judge it, we would need examples, your settings, and the rest of your setup

So my build would be $1000. The games i'm playing on playing is League of Legends, Mortal Kombat X and Nine, and Shadow of Mordors. I need a OS too that will be included in my budget.

Yes, for LoL its overkill, but if you're willing to try different games, this thing shall do the job.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.80 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.60 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $933.29

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 17:29 EDT-0400

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Shadow of Mordor is a lot more demanding than LoL. A 970 wouldn't be a bad match for the game at 1080p or higher resolutions. 

Can I use a SSC 970 over the Gigabyte G1 970 to save some money and get the same performance?

Can I use a SSC 970 over the Gigabyte G1 970 to save some money and get the same performance?

Sure. A 970 is a 970.