Antivirus suggestion

haris262

I would like to download a new anti-virus program and have been wondering which one, since there are so many out there. Which one would you suggest? Also, is there some fundamental difference between MalwareBytes, AVG, Avast!, BitDefender and CCleaner? Do they all just do the same thing or is each specialized in removing a certain type of malicious software (for example, MalwareBytes being better at removing malware)? In that case, should I be downloading more than one of them? 

Thank you for the help!

MalwareBytes and Windows Defender usually do the job. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

MalwareBytes master race, they do really well and you can do a full scan and cleanup with the free version

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

ccleaner is just a cleaner for unused files and registry errors

malwarebytes and bitdefender are antimalware

avg and avast are antivirus

I use ccleaner+malwarebytes+AVG

you always want antimalware and antivirus software together on a PC

ccleaner is just for cleaning stuff

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To be honest, I just use Windows Firewall and do system scans with MalwareBytes. Other than that, I don't use any anti virus because I find it's more annoying than useful. So long as you're intelligent enough to know what the correct download button is, just that should work fine. 

if you need the best

get KASPERSKY when its on sale

usually goes on sale for 30$ every month

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I use BitDefender, its proven to be the best performing AV for years.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

malwarebytes and bitdefender are antimalware

I'm pretty sure that BitDefender is antivirus. 

OP: I'm using BitDefender because I got a free 6 month trial of it and it's one of the best AV programs you can get. You can get a 6 month trial of BitDefender here. For a free antivirus program, Avast and AVG are both good programs. Combine that with the free version of MalwareBytes and you're set.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm pretty sure that BitDefender is antivirus. 

OP: I'm using BitDefender because I got a free 6 month trial of it and it's one of the best AV programs you can get. You can get a 6 month trial of BitDefender here. For a free antivirus program, Avast and AVG are both good programs. Combine that with the free version of MalwareBytes and you're set.

well Ive never used it so idk, youre probably right

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Do not get Avast!, as it is complete shit.  Go to this link to find out why.

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with,  with Malwarebytes.  Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one.  So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner.  Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.