GTA V Stutter

Yiz

So the other day I pulled the trigger and bought a 144hz monitor. However, GTA V is giving me some very strange issues since then. When using the benchmark in GTA V and in-game my fps will linger around 110fps - 140fps roughly. The problem is that even though I'm getting an incredibly high framerate, the stutter is just insane! It looks as if the fps is dropping down to 0(It practically freezes) and the stutters are short.

Video:

You can see in the video the odd stuttering which I get in-game aswell, I would just like to know if anyone else gets this stutter/freezing? And is there a fix?

Also using v-sync helps, but not much. Instead it creates a very annoying micro stutter.  Any information would ease my stress, thanks!

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with the game and is not just specific to your set-up. 

So the other day I pulled the trigger and bought a 144hz monitor. However, GTA V is giving me some very strange issues since then. When using the benchmark in GTA V and in-game my fps will linger around 110fps - 140fps roughly. The problem is that even though I'm getting an incredibly high framerate, the stutter is just insane! It looks as if the fps is dropping down to 0(It practically freezes) and the stutters are short.

You can see in the video the odd stuttering which I get in-game aswell, I would just like to know if anyone else gets this stutter/freezing? And is there a fix?

Also using v-sync helps, but not much. Instead it creates a very annoying micro stutter.  Any information would ease my stress, thanks!

Also follow your post 

Strange... I have never experienced anything like this playing GTA V. Was it fine before you upgraded your monitor? Do you have the latest drivers? Are you sure you are not exceeding the available amount of VRAM on your card? Perhaps try lowering your game settings a bit and check again. 

Try using Adaptive Sync instead of V-Sync, it's much better. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Is your 4690K OC'd? 

I was going to ask the same thing , from my experience overclocking your cpu helps a ton in gta5 as long as its stable.I also noticed having your power settings at high performance helps a lot with stuttering as well.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I was going to ask the same thing , from my experience overclocking your cpu helps a ton in gta5 as long as its stable.I also noticed having your power settings at high performance helps a lot with stuttering as well.

I went from 4.2GHz to 3.8GHz, and I could not even alt + tab without a lag attack. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

My i5 is not OCed, I probably should do that considering I bought and H100i lol. But my VRAM usage is only 2GB/3.5GB. Also no matter what I cap the framerate at or settings (all lowest) I still get the stutter. 

My i5 is not OCed, I probably should do that considering I bought and H100i lol. But my VRAM usage is only 2GB/3.5GB. Also no matter what I cap the framerate at or settings (all lowest) I still get the stutter. 

I would suggest an OC to 4.0GHz (Generally very easy on Core i5s) and then try the benchmark again. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I would suggest an OC to 4.0GHz (Generally very easy on Core i5s) and then try the benchmark again. 

Gotcha, be back in a bit.

@connorpiper

@Levent

I OCed to 4.1ghz, and switched windows power setting to high performance, annndddddd it got even worse! (lol) I think I'm just going to have to wait for a patch or something. I know it isn't my PC since other games work just fine and this issue seems to only pertain to GTA V. I will link what CPU and GPU usage looked like during the second benchmark.

Red Circles are indicating the plane scene from the video.

CPU Usage: http://i.imgur.com/EsrliT8.jpg

GPU Usage: http://i.imgur.com/JdlQBeX.jpg

@connorpiper

@Levent

I OCed to 4.1ghz, and switched windows power setting to high performance, annndddddd it got even worse! (lol) I think I'm just going to have to wait for a patch or something. I know it isn't my PC since other games work just fine and this issue seems to only pertain to GTA V. I will link what CPU and GPU usage looked like during the second benchmark.

Red Circles are indicating the plane scene from the video.

CPU Usage: http://i.imgur.com/EsrliT8.jpg

GPU Usage: http://i.imgur.com/JdlQBeX.jpg

that is interesting from my experience and this counts for both amd and nvidia overclocking helped a ton with stuttering this was the case both with 580 SLI and a single HD7850, try enabling vsync to 60hz or something if you are %100 sure that that overclock is stable and has enough volts. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

HDD? Cuz to me it seems like a loading issue.

Check your Read/Write speed with HwInfo .. it helps to understand the issue more.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

that is interesting from my experience and this counts for both amd and nvidia overclocking helped a ton with stuttering this was the case both with 580 SLI and a single HD7850, try enabling vsync to 60hz or something if you are %100 sure that that overclock is stable and has enough volts.

OC was defiantly stable. 

Check your Read/Write speed with HwInfo .. it helps to understand the issue more.

I will when I get home, thanks.

I used CyrstalDiskMark (I'm a noob when it comes to HDDs and SSDs so I don't really understand the numbers except read/write speed) but here are my results:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :   119.482 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   143.108 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     1.979 MB/s [   483.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     1.526 MB/s [   372.6 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) :   169.213 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) :   174.064 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.683 MB/s [   166.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     1.439 MB/s [   351.3 IOPS]

not that bad considering its HDD if you have ssd try to put it on ssd. enable paging file on windows and install latest nvidia drivers. with amd(gpu) i didnt  experienced any problems what so ever and i like to game on more detail than fps so idk try set it up high and look if its better or worse also does this happens when you are in the same place coz if its not- loading issue