CPU Cooling - Does temperature impact performance?

a phase change cooler

I just meant the correlation between the power consumption of the CPU and temperature.

I just meant the correlation between the power consumption of the CPU and temperature.

what i was saying is that the cooler use 1000-1500w so the difference in cpu power consumption is irrelevant.  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

what i was saying is that the cooler use 1000-1500w so the difference in cpu power consumption is irrelevant.

That's irrelevant if you are just interested in the correlation.

Cringe video is cringe, the fact that this was Phase which can be up to 1500W to run it alone and is sub ambient vs a stock air cooler is bad testing right there since not everyone has the money to go out and by a Phase Change cooler plus the Phase does sub ambient cooling and has no need to rely on ambient temps. 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

This is hilarious. :lol:  What were everyone's reactions at your workplace?

I wasn't thrilled about it as a user since we were going into a yearend freeze, but other users were like 'if they haven't broken in 3 years, what's an another 3 months'... *facepalm*

Intel didn't list the Tjmax, but I don't think we were that far off. The servers were supposed to shut off at 95C if they could read the temps. If someone did an AVX calculation, we might have damaged the CPUs.

Helpdesk couldn't connect to the IPMI on some of the servers and insisted that the IPMI need to be fixed first. The reason they couldn't was because the IMPI ip addresses were not set up to be consecutive and they were using the wrong address... *double facepalm*

I ended up fixing it by updating a bunch of firmware. Of course IT was all butt hurt that I fixed it while they shart. Well at least they didn't phase change those servers

Hey Linus and friends,

Just a tip. In the video you mentioned that you use Restart instead of Shutdown to avoid Windows Updates. Another way around this is to Lock your computer and use the shutdown option there, as it gives you the choice to shutdown without update. This way there is no funny business.

Start Lock (or Switch User) > Shutdown

What I want to know is does temp effect power efficiency?

Like I know that heat acts like friction for electricity, so does it consume fewer watts when ran cooler?

TBH this video was useless.

It should have been about Overclock degradation with temperatures for example

This is a signature.

Funny, Irresponsible and interesting. Loved it.

(by the way, does anyone know the song @ 9:00?)

My System has a Intel Core i7 4790k @4.5ghz Cooled by A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO With a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Memory.

But, what was the temperatures?

I get that changing the temperature from say 80 to subzero won't make a difference, but what if your temps with stick cooling gets to 90+, won't the CPU start throttling and lower the speed so that it won't overheat? I guess that THIS might make it run slower with stock-cooling if the cooling isn't enough for long crazy sessions?

The goal for your cooling is to make sure the CPU is never throttling, and that is it?

Cooling the CPU on the same clock speed actually slows it down, since the oscillator is oscillating a little bit slower, which results a slower clockspeed, though it wouldn't be more than a few milliseconds a day, and you would notice only if you compared the time to an external clock.

Today's processors however have some techniques to compensate the varying temperature effects: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7541878.html

Does temperature impact performance?

Yes it does, but you will never notice it.

Citation please.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite videos in a long time.

Awesome to watch the testing processes and all the antics that go along with it.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q