Why isnt the R9 295X2 more popular?

maizenblue

I dont think the 390x will be more powerful than a 295x2 either way.

plus recent rumours have pointed that the 390x will also be a 4gb card.. it would make it a lemon in my eyes especially as I want 1 for 4k

Why exactly do you think a 390x is going to be as fast as 2 290x's? Lol.

Your comparison to Titan X is flawed. The Titan X offers a lot more performance than a 290X with a slightly higher power draw.

I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about power consumption, it's nowhere near as big of a deal as people make it out to be.  The normal argument would be heat, but the 295x2 doesn't really have any types of heat problems being it's "watercooled"
The 295x2 has higher power consumption than a Titan X, but performs better most of the time, but in my eyes, if it's faster, that's all that matters.

However, I would probably still buy a Titan X if I had the money, just for the sheer epicness of it's speed. The fact that a single GPU card has to be compared to a double GPU card is quite insane :D

To add to the power consumption thing, if the power draw was say... 200w vs 600w, I would care, but 100-200w difference is really not a big deal at all in my eyes, most of the quality PSU's for a good price that have nice warranty's and features are 750-850w anyways.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The only time the Power Argument is valid, is when your budged it limited and you want to run on your current PSU which couldn't handle the draw.

However it seems irrelevant, considering the cost of the Top Gen GPU.

new gen always tends to be as powerful as the previous gens sli or cfx configuration.

plus it's been rumored for a while that it's going to be a titan killer so it will probably nestle between the titan x and 295x2

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

new gen always tends to be as powerful as the previous gens sli or cfx configuration.

plus it's been rumored for a while that it's going to be a titan killer so it will probably nestle between the titan x and 295x2

bruh.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Um, wat? Where on earth have you been for the previous 901234891234124 GPU updates..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Um, wat? Where on earth have you been for the previous 901234891234124 GPU updates..

waiting for them to release since the rage 2 days.

the 390x will beat the titan x in almost every respect other than extreme vram extensive tasks. :) I'll even put money on my claim lol

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about power consumption, it's nowhere near as big of a deal as people make it out to be. The normal argument would be heat, but the 295x2 doesn't really have any types of heat problems being it's "watercooled"

The 295x2 has higher power consumption than a Titan X, but performs better most of the time, but in my eyes, if it's faster, that's all that matters.

However, I would probably still buy a Titan X if I had the money, just for the sheer epicness of it's speed. The fact that a single GPU card has to be compared to a double GPU card is quite insane :D

To add to the power consumption thing, if the power draw was say... 200w vs 600w, I would care, but 100-200w difference is really not a big deal at all in my eyes, most of the quality PSU's for a good price that have nice warranty's and features are 750-850w anyways.

Okay. Now, what happens if Crossfire doesn't work the way it's supposed to? It's fairly common.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay. Now, what happens if Crossfire doesn't work the way it's supposed to? It's fairly common.

the it performs as well as a single 290x or marginally better.

dying light was a prime example of this on release. a single 980 got about 5 fps less than 980 sli.

the it performs as well as a single 290x or marginally better.

dying light was a prime example of this on release. a single 980 got about 5 fps less than 980 sli.

That's my point. They're not comparable. In SLI and Crossfire configurations, you have to rely even more on proper game and driver development. You can say that a 295X2 performs better than a Titan X(both out of the box and price to performance), but you have to factor in game and driver support for Crossfire.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Again also in line with it's 250W TDP. Nothing surprising here. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Again also in line with it's 250W TDP. Nothing surprising here. 

My point was about power draw and I'm proving my point.

Ahh but you see, the 295x2 is a dual GPU, but NOT a dual graphics card. A dual graphics card would refer to 2xpcbs. So we can compare a titan x to a 290x for GPUs, but for graphic cards? The 295x2 is a fair opponent.

No it isn't. I know what the 295X2 is, but I have no idea how that validates the comparison.

@CoolaxGaming has a point. You act like the 290X competes with the Titan X because it has the same power consumption. That makes no sense. The 295X2 competes with the Titan X, even though it's dual GPU, it's still a single card. You can use it in a Mini ITX motherboard. 

The 295X2 provides more overall graphical horsepower then the Titan X for a lower cost, but the tradeoff is higher power consumption. Like two class-competing cars and one is cheaper yet faster, at the sacrifice of having worse fuel economy. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

The personal issues that I have with the R9 295x2 is the radiator, and the fact that you've got to have a place to mount it.

And I know that I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't really like the extra points of failures that AIO coolers have :c

Your fans can break or heatsink fall off too xD

Curing shitposts by shitposts

@CoolaxGaming has a point. You act like the 290X competes with the Titan X because it has the same power consumption. That makes no sense. The 295X2 competes with the Titan X, even though it's dual GPU, it's still a single card. You can use it in a Mini ITX motherboard. 

The 295X2 provides more overall graphical horsepower then the Titan X for a lower cost, but the tradeoff is higher power consumption. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. 

It's not hard to understand. It's outside of what I'm comparing - that's the issue. From a hardware perspective, it's not a fair comparison because the 295X2 contains two GPUs and the Titan X contains one. Yes, you can compare the two from a price to performance ratio, and that's fine. It's just outside of what I'm comparing.

Yes, you can compare the two from a price to performance ratio, and that's fine. It's just outside of what I'm comparing.

It may outside what YOU are comparing, but it is exactly what WE are comparing. The entire point I was making is that from a price to performance standpoint AND a strict performance standpoint, the 295x2 soundly beats the Titan X AND any other Nvidia GPU, yet the Nvidia cards still sell much better. This is what confuses me.

As I stated earlier I think the primary reason for this is Nvidias superior marketing and branding machine. It has little if anything to do with people not wanting a dual GPU configuration, since many of these people are bypassing the 295x2 and buying more expensive and poorer performing Nvidia cards in SLI.

If you want a graphics card that offers the best performance, then the 295x2 delivers, but a lot of people buy Nvidia more as a status symbol than for gaming performance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

It may outside what YOU are comparing, but it is exactly what WE are comparing. The entire point I was making is that from a price to performance standpoint AND a strict performance standpoint, the 295x2 soundly beats the Titan X AND any other Nvidia GPU, yet the Nvidia cards still sell much better. This is what confuses me.

As I stated earlier I think the primary reason for this is Nvidias superior marketing and branding machine. It has little if anything to do with people not wanting a dual GPU configuration, since many of people are bypassing the 295x2 and buying more expensive and poorer performing Nvidia cards in SLI.

Are you not aware of the problems Crossfire and SLI have?

Summarize:

• R9-295X2 draws quite a bit of power
  • NVidia marketing win
  • Radiator / water-cooling is not always appealing to many (the risk of having liquid inside your system)

Then again...

Radeon-R9Fan-WaterCooler-FrontAngle-570W

04G-P4-1989-KR_XL_4.jpg

but-thats-none-of-my2.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Summarize:

• R9-295X2 draws quite a bit of power
  • NVidia marketing win
  • Radiator / water-cooling is not always appealing to many (the risk of having liquid inside your system)

Then again...

Radeon-R9Fan-WaterCooler-FrontAngle-570W

04G-P4-1989-KR_XL_4.jpg

People ripped on EVGA for doing that.

People ripped on EVGA for doing that.

Welp.

We can both watch this thread develop, and see what happens. *Offers my hand* :lol:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/367980-thoughts-on-980-hybrid/

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I think the 295x2 is the best "bang for your buck" card right now, Thats why I own it! But Nvidias market share is just to much. Their sales, advertising and marketing blow AMDs out of the water. They just made better products for a longer period of time and deserve to be in this position. Hopefully AMD hits it out of the park with the 390x and gets them back in the race. 

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

I think the 295x2 is the best "bang for your buck" card right now, Thats why I own it! But Nvidias market share is just to much. Their sales, advertising and marketing blow AMDs out of the water. They just made better products for a longer period of time and deserve to be in this position. Hopefully AMD hits it out of the park with the 390x and gets them back in the race. 

TBH, you can't really market a product that effectively when its been out for a while, which is why AMD has been suffering so badly due to very few new products.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL