Looking to overclock my 960

Muleworx

Hey everyone,

Looking to overclock my EVGA GTX 960. Can anyone give me incite where to start. Use the precision X?

Also I have 600w psu so i have the power.  

Thank you

Hey everyone,

Looking to overclock my EVGA GTX 960. Can anyone give me incite where to start. Use the precision X?

Also I have 600w psu so i have the power.  

Thank you

Before you even start with overclocking, you'll need some software. As you already said, something to actually overclock like Precision X or MSI Afterburner, then something to monitor your temperatures and a benchmark. Afterburner and Precision do fine for monitoring your temps, but a lot of people also use GPU-Z, as it is easier to understand and you can record your maximum, avg and minimum temps.

Then of course you'll need some benchmarks or stress test to actually see if your overclock is stable. I recommend 3D Mark to see how much the actual difference between your overclocks is and something like Valley Benchmark to stress your GPU.

If you've everything you need, close all other programs that you don't need and then start overclocking your GPU slowly by increasing the Mhz. 

I would recommend to watch a video to understand everything better:

Before you even start with overclocking, you'll need some software. As you already said, something to actually overclock like Precision X or MSI Afterburner, then something to monitor your temperatures and a benchmark. Afterburner and Precision do fine for monitoring your temps, but a lot of people also use GPU-Z, as it is easier to understand and you can record your maximum, avg and minimum temps.

Then of course you'll need some benchmarks or stress test to actually see if your overclock is stable. I recommend 3D Mark to see how much the actual difference between your overclocks is and something like Valley Benchmark to stress your GPU.

If you've everything you need, close all other programs that you don't need and then start overclocking your GPU slowly by increasing the Mhz. 

I would recommend to watch a video to understand everything better:

Awesome! thank you for the quick and informative response.