Need Help: PC does not start with Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force

Hallo everyone,

I really need your help, I spent the whole day trying to find the problem but I coud not.

I am building my first PC, as following:

CPU: i7-4790

MB: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force

PSU: Corsair CS550M

RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600 Mhz.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R.

I connect everything according to instruction but the PC does not start, and I am not sure what the problem is. I check the Power Switch on the front panel of my case but I could not find any problem with it. I also checked all other connections and switches but everything looks fine. I could only think of the following reasons:

According to Gigabyte instructions, there are three power connectors on the motherboard: ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin); ATX_12V (4 Pin); and ATX (24 Pin). From my corsair PSU, I only have the ATX and the ATX_12V_2X4 connectors, which I connect accordingly. I am missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). The only available cables have either SATA power connector or the 6 pin PCI Express power connector. I try to attach the 6 Pin cable in the ATX_12V (4 Pin) in both orientations, but it did not work at all.
Is this is the problem? Do I need both ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin) and ATX_12V (4 Pin), so my computer can start. If yes, any suggestions on how to solve that given the limited options I have from my Corsair PSU.

Note: If I use the Onboard Buttons of the motherboard, I found that, by clicking the OC Ignition button (OC_IGNITION) and then the Power button (PW_SW), the PC start, but no signal; all leds are on, all fans work including the CPU fan, but I obtain no signal from my graphic card.

So, I do not understand what is the problem here, If I need the second ATX_12V (4 Pin), why the motherboard worked when I clicked the onboard buttons. Is there something wrong with my motherboard?

Please Help!!!!

Motherboard isn't compatible with Devil's Canyon without a BIOS update.  You need to find someone with a Haswell CPU to do the BIOS update, or, return the Z87 and buy a "9" series motherboard.  H97 or Z97.

How are you missing a cable from your PSU?  You should be fine with a 24pin and 8pin as that is the norm.  The extra 4pin is likely only for extreme overclocks.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hallo everyone,

I really need your help, I spent the whole day trying to find the problem but I coud not.

I am building my first PC, as following:

CPU: i7-4790

MB: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force

PSU: Corsair CS550M

RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600 Mhz.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R.

I connect everything according to instruction but the PC does not start, and I am not sure what the problem is. I check the Power Switch on the front panel of my case but I could not find any problem with it. I also checked all other connections and switches but everything looks fine. I could only think of the following reasons:

According to Gigabyte instructions, there are three power connectors on the motherboard: ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin); ATX_12V (4 Pin); and ATX (24 Pin). From my corsair PSU, I only have the ATX and the ATX_12V_2X4 connectors, which I connect accordingly. I am missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). The only available cables have either SATA power connection or 6 Pin connector. I try to attach the 6 Pin cable in the ATX_12V (4 Pin) in both orientations, but it did not work at all.

Is this is the problem? Do I need both ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin) and ATX_12V (4 Pin), so my computer can start. If yes, any suggestions on how to solve that given the limited options I have from my Corsair PSU.

Note: If I use the Onboard Buttons of the motherboard, I found that, by clicking the OC Ignition button (OC_IGNITION) and then the Power button (PW_SW), the PC start, but no signal; all leds are on, all fans work including the CPU fan, but I obtain no signal from my graphic card.

So, I do not understand what is the problem here, If I need the second ATX_12V (4 Pin), why the motherboard worked when I clicked the onboard buttons. Is there something wrong with my motherboard?

Please Help!!!!

My first thought is to flash your bios with the firmware update. A lot of the 87 boards need the update to run the later chips.

As others above have said, you'll need to update the BIOS.

The power plugs are not an issue. You do not need to plug in the secondary CPU power connector (4 pin) for it to work, only the primary (8 pin) is needed.

"Rawr XD"

My first thought is to flash your bios with the firmware update. A lot of the 87 boards need the update to run the later chips.

Motherboard isn't compatible with Devil's Canyon without a BIOS update.  You need to find someone with a Haswell CPU to do the BIOS update, or, return the Z87 and buy a "9" series motherboard.  H97 or Z97.

How are you missing a cable from your PSU?  You should be fine with a 24pin and 8pin as that is the norm.  The extra 4pin is likely only for extreme overclocks.

Thanks for the infos, but how I can update my bios. I do not have another CPU except for a I7 860 and i5-4570. Does any of those work. If yes, how to do the bios update then.

Thanks again

Thanks for the infos, but how I can update my bios. I do not have another CPU except for a I7 860 and i5-4570. Does any of those work. If yes, how to do the bios update then.

Thanks again

Use the i5-4570.  That is a Haswell CPU.  Put that CPU in, and it should work.  Then you go to the Gigabyte website and download a BIOS for that motherboard to support Devil's Canyon processors.

BIOS updating can take some time, so let it do its thing.  I recommend you watch some youtube videos and do some research.  Make sure to not turn off your system.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thanks again

That i5 4570 does work without an update. Put it in the Z87 mobo, and download the latest bios.

1-be SURE to have the right bios

2-don't interrupt the update process, be careful, let it manage on its own.

If you make one of this errors, there is a comeback (unlike low end boards, which get bricked). You have two bioses and bios recovery, so don't worry that much. It's easier to make it right in the first try though.

That i5 4570 does work without an update. Put it in the Z87 mobo, and download the latest bios.

1-be SURE to have the right bios

2-don't interrupt the update process, be careful, let it manage on its own.

If you make one of this errors, there is a comeback (unlike low end boards, which get bricked). You have two bioses and bios recovery, so don't worry that much. It's easier to make it right in the first try though.

Use the i5-4570.  That is a Haswell CPU.  Put that CPU in, and it should work.  Then you go to the Gigabyte website and download a BIOS for that motherboard to support Devil's Canyon processors.

BIOS updating can take some time, so let it do its thing.  I recommend you watch some youtube videos and do some research.  Make sure to not turn off your system.

Thanks all for your answer and help.

I found on the Gigabyte website several BIOS versions; but there is one "F8" where they stated that it "Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors". I assume this is the one I need or ?!!.

There are also two other versions "F9", which Improve overclocking capability; but I could not understand the included note: "Please use the efiflash.exe included in the zip file to update this BIOS". Anyway, I am not planning on overclocking my system.

Another one is "F10" but this is Beta BIOS; so I do not want to risk it.

Am I right using the F8 BIOS version?!!. Also, I found the following youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyZDhv94k0), which I think following it would be appropriate.

Thanks again

Thanks all for your answer and help.

I found on the Gigabyte website several BIOS versions; but there is one "F8" where they stated that it "Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors". I assume this is the one I need or ?!!.

There are also two other versions "F9", which Improve overclocking capability; but I could not understand the included note: "Please use the efiflash.exe included in the zip file to update this BIOS". Anyway, I am not planning on overclocking my system.

Another one is "F10" but this is Beta BIOS; so I do not want to risk it.

Am I right using the F8 BIOS version?!!. Also, I found the following youtube video (

), which I think following it would be appropriate.

Thanks again

Yes, the F8 BIOS should work.

Yes, the F8 BIOS should work.

Hallo,

I did install the i5 4570 on my motherboard, but still the computer did not start. Do I need to do something else in order for my PC to start and then update my bios. Again when I press the combination of two onboard buttons (as I mentioned earlier), the pc start but no singal; only fans and leds.

Thanks

Hallo,

I did install the i5 4570 on my motherboard, but still the computer did not start. Do I need to do something else in order for my PC to start and then update my bios. Again when I press the combination of two onboard buttons (as I mentioned earlier), the pc start but no singal; only fans and leds.

Thanks

Oh.. that isn't good. Hmm..

What do you have your monitor plugged into?

I'm about to go to bed, hopefully someone can help you. I will be back later though to continue helping you.

Oh.. that isn't good. Hmm..

What do you have your monitor plugged into?

I'm about to go to bed, hopefully someone can help you. I will be back later though to continue helping you.

Hallo,

I was first using the Asus GTX 760 2GB, but then I switch to the onboard graphic card. Both did not work. !!!!

Hopefully someone could help me here. I cannot return the motherboard since I got it as a present long time ago, and only now I was able to get some budget to build my first computer, but it seems I lost all the budget I have for nothing.

Thanks for everyone

Hallo,

I was first using the Asus GTX 760 2GB, but then I switch to the onboard graphic card. Both did not work. !!!!

Hopefully someone could help me here. I cannot return the motherboard since I got it as a present long time ago, and only now I was able to get some budget to build my first computer, but it seems I lost all the budget I have for nothing.

Thanks for everyone

So, is everything working, you just aren't getting a display on the monitor? Fans all spin up, lights turn on etc..?

So, is everything working, you just aren't getting a display on the monitor? Fans all spin up, lights turn on etc..?

Yes. Fans are working. One orange led on the motherboard is turned on. The two buttons I click from the motherboard are also On (orange), and also there is a "Gear" sign on (also in orange). The CD rom also work.

Please note also that I did not install the system yet. I still have no signal to start installing windows.

Yes. Fans are working. One orange led on the motherboard is turned on. The two buttons I click from the motherboard are also On (orange), and also there is a "Gear" sign on (also in orange). The CD rom also work.

Can you look in the mobo manual to see what an orange light means? Maybe the light should be green or red?

Maybe it's something as simple as the HDMI/DVI cable isn't working?

Off to bed, I hope someone else can jump in and continue to help, if not, I'll be back when I can.

Here is what I found about the OC Ignition onboard button, the one I click to start the motherboard, (and the only way sofar I found it to start the PC).

OC Ignition: Feature Summary
• Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU
• Active fans help to reduce moisture build-up when using LN2
• Maintain continuous uninterrupted power to drives
• Test demo and case mod systems without needing to boot the system

Here is what I found about the OC Ignition onboard button, the one I click to start the motherboard, (and the only way sofar I found it to start the PC).

OC Ignition: Feature Summary

• Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU

• Active fans help to reduce moisture build-up when using LN2

• Maintain continuous uninterrupted power to drives

• Test demo and case mod systems without needing to boot the system

Have you tried to reset the bios?

Take the battery on the bios out. Wait a couple minutes until the motherboard discharges completely. Put the battery back again, same how it was.

Have you tried to reset the bios?

Take the battery on the bios out. Wait a couple minutes until the motherboard discharges completely. Put the battery back again, same how it was.

Yes, I did take the battery for 3 minutes and then insert it again, I also try to rest the CMOS using the onboard button, still nothing happen.

What I did so far is the following:

1) Replace the CPU with the intel i5-4570,

2) Rest BIOS by removing the battery and then reinsert it again,

3) Clear CMOS using the onboard button,

4) Use different RAM sockets / combinations (single or double) from Kingston or Corsair,

5) Use different Power Supply, Power Switch (PC Case).

6) Check if any of the CPU Pins and see if there are any bent pins in the socket. (See attached image)

So far nothing work except when using the OC Ignition button

DSC06759   Copy Min

what do you mean by that, also what code do you get when starting on the debug led

I got nothing on the debug led.