We won guys! Paid mods are kill!

aduman

I don't know if this has been posted before but I don't really care, need to get this off my chest. :) Valve and Bethesda completely removed the paid mods scheme. It's kinda sad as the damage has already been done. But still, the community has shown that we are strong and can even make Gabe himself show up in a Reddit post with a blister in his eye!

I don't approve of anyone who sent death threats to the modders. (duh) But congrats to everyone who managed to things within reason. Long Live Skyrim Modding Community! :D

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I'd prefer Donate button instead of Pay button.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I don't know if this has been posted before but I don't really care, need to get this off my chest. :) Valve and Bethesda completely removed the paid mods scheme. It's kinda sad as the damage has already been done. But still, the community has shown that we are strong and can even make Gabe himself show up in a Reddit post with a blister in his eye!

I don't approve of anyone who sent death threats to the modders. (duh) But congrats to everyone who managed to things within reason. Long Live Skyrim Modding Community! :D

already posted in the news section

I was in support of paid mods, just now how valve implemented it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

already posted in the news section

I was in support of paid mods, just now how valve implemented it

I statad that I don't care if it has already been posted on my first sentence. I don't support paid mods, I support donations. I did donate at least 100$ to several modders. Which is much more than they could've gotten from a single person with Valve's system.

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I'd prefer Donate button instead of Pay button.

This.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I statad that I don't care if it has already been posted on my first sentence. I don't support paid mods, I support donations. I did donate at least 100$ to several modders. Which is much more than they could've gotten from a single person with Valve's system.

not really the nicest attitude, not caring doesn't mean you can do whatever you want - and it makes sense to keep discussions in one topic instead of in 100 places

Donations are a completely different thing to paying,

I think it was an interesting experiment from valve, it could have worked, just the market did not accept it, so it got withdrawn, I dont blame anybody for trying, and it could have been a benefit to modding in the long term if done using a better system

But i guess we will see what the future holds

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

not really the nicest attitude, not caring doesn't mean you can do whatever you want - and it makes sense to keep discussions in one topic instead of in 100 places

Donations are a completely different thing to paying,

I think it was an interesting experiment from valve, it could have worked, just the market did not accept it, so it got withdrawn, I dont blame anybody for trying, and it could have been a benefit to modding in the long term if done using a better system

But i guess we will see what the future holds

I wouldn't get into comparing attitudes here but I clearly stated that I needed to get this off my chest. You could've just ignored the thread instead of telling me that it was posted before as we already know that it probably was posted at least a hundred times here on several places. Another simple thread wouldn't ruin anyones day now, would it? The point here wasn't to inform the members, it was just something that I needed to express. :)

And no, paid mods would destroy the community but would 'work'. As the gaming community always accepts new implementations in the long run. I'm really glad that this got taken down before it was too late.

Spoiler

Spoiler

-snip-

Hey, this has been posted here before:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/356320-skyrim-paid-mods-are-gone/

I get your excitement, but next time you should look at the news page and see if this has been posted already :)

And in a news section you should give source(s) too, so keep that in mind next time you're posting.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wouldn't get into comparing attitudes here but I clearly stated that I needed to get this off my chest. You could've just ignored the thread instead of telling me that it was posted before as we already know that it probably was posted at least a hundred times here on several places. Another simple thread wouldn't ruin anyones day now, would it? The point here wasn't to inform the members, it was just something that I needed to express. :)

And no, paid mods would destroy the community but would 'work'. As the gaming community always accepts new implementations in the long run. I'm really glad that this got taken down before it was too late.

Didnt want to cause an argument, literally said 6 words and then posted my thoughts below

why would it destroy the community, everyone was like "omg its the end of mods" but I dont see why that was the case, if anything it would make mods more viable and attractive to people who want to make them

Everyone loves getting paid for their work

Didnt want to cause an argument, literally said 6 words and then posted my thoughts below

why would it destroy the community, everyone was like "omg its the end of mods" but I dont see why that was the case, if anything it would make mods more viable and attractive to people who want to make them

Everyone loves getting paid for their work

I didn't want to start an argument either mate. :) I like you. I suggest you go to /r/skyrimmods and read the mod authors' posts. This thing made many talented authors leave the scene. Hide their mods because people tried to steal them and make some quick money. It just wouldn't work.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I didn't want to start an argument either mate. :) I like you. I suggest you go to /r/skyrimmods and read the mod authors' posts. This thing made many talented authors leave the scene.

I don't really like reddit (also cant access it at work haha) 

Sure, it would make people leave, it would also make new talented modders take up the mantle - its impossible not to piss people off with change, for everybody that was against it, there was somebody dying to make money from their hard work

I dont think there is a right answer,  at the end of the day, the success is made by the market, and on this occasion the market said no

But maybe in the future there will be a better way to give hard working modders money

I don't really like reddit (also cant access it at work haha) 

Sure, it would make people leave, it would also make new talented modders take up the mantle - its impossible not to piss people off with change, for everybody that was against it, there was somebody dying to make money from their hard work

I dont think there is a right answer,  at the end of the day, the success is made by the market, and on this occasion the market said no

But maybe in the future there will be a better way to give hard working modders money

There is already a way to give them money. And it was working more than fine. Lots of people donating kept the community alive. There was nothing broken in the first place. A fix was not needed. :) I don't like reddit either. It's currently the best source to see the authors' opinions though.

Spoiler

Spoiler

There is already a way to give them money. And it was working more than fine. Lots of people donating kept the community alive. There was nothing broken in the first place. A fix was not needed. :) I don't like reddit either. It's currently the best source to see the authors' opinions though.

I don't believe in "if it aint broke" things can always be improved and spending can always be encouraged, new markets can be created etc

I dont think it was insane for bethesda and valve to try it.

(for clarification I do not download mods for my games so perhaps I see it in a different light, but would happily buy quality mod content if I desired)

I don't believe in "if it aint broke" things can always be improved and spending can always be encouraged, new markets can be created etc

I dont think it was insane for bethesda and valve to try it.

(for clarification I do not download mods for my games so perhaps I see it in a different light, but would happily buy quality mod content if I desired)

I understand your optimism but even if people bought mods the authors would only get %25 of the payment, which is really pointless. They can get much more through donations. Modding has been paywall free for a long time now and some authors don't even accept donations. I really suggest you to take a look at the authors' comments on this or the Nexus owner Dark0ne's if you want to see this through a modder's perspective. This really has been an important step in gaming industry imo.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I understand your optimism but even if people bought mods the authors would only get %25 of the payment, which is really pointless. They can get much more through donations. Modding has been paywall free for a long time now and some authors don't even accept donations. I really suggest you to take a look at the authors' comments on this or the Nexus owner Dark0ne's if you want to see this through a modder's perspective. This really has been an important step in gaming industry imo.

the 25% thing was limited to an agreement with bethesda, its possible other games could have been much higher (valve normally take 30% so could be up to 70% for other games if the dev takes a smaller or no cut at all)

I know what the modders think, but not all modders think the same, and perhaps people who are skilled enough to make mods, never bothered, because there was no money in it

its such a can of worms

and perhaps people who are skilled enough to make mods, never bothered, because there was no money in it

its such a can of worms

I wholeheartedly agree with these statements.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wholeheartedly agree with these statements.

I dont think we can look at it in a black and white way

for every pro there is a con, for every con there is a pro, for everyone against it there is somebody in support -

I think pulling it was the right decision, and it needs to be implemented in a way that pleases more people than it pisses off, what that is, I am not qualified to say

I dont think we can look at it in a black and white way

for every pro there is a con, for every con there is a pro, for everyone against it there is somebody in support -

I think pulling it was the right decision, and it needs to be implemented in a way that pleases more people than it pisses off, what that is, I am not qualified to say

Of course. There are lots of opinions out there about this project. I think it should have never happened, they could've just added a donation button. They are already making tons of money (both Bethesda and Valve), why would they need a percentage of the donations is beyond me...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Of course. There are lots of opinions out there about this project. I think it should have never happened, they could've just added a donation button. They are already making tons of money (both Bethesda and Valve), why would they need a percentage of the donations is beyond me...

because businesses are there to make money

because businesses are there to make money

Yeah but they are already making tons. I just don't understand why they would risk pissing off the community just for such a little amount of profit compared to what they're already making.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah but they are already making tons. I just don't understand why they would risk pissing off the community just for such a little amount of profit compared to what they're already making.

Because money, I don't think its greed per say, I think that's a really naive point of view some people have, making money is making money it means you have more capital for future development etc which in turn makes more games

Because money, I don't think its greed per say, I think that's a really naive point of view some people have, making money is making money it means you have more capital for future development etc which in turn makes more games

Yeah I guess. Any extra wouldn't hurt, right?

Spoiler

Spoiler