3D printable test bench

Nagby

Hi,

this was an idea i had some years ago, and i did a little 3D model of it (http://goo.gl/7UFxvJ) but now i want to push it further.

I made this topic, not to ask about design ideas because it would be way too tidy to manage

(each person seeing it diferently would make a frankenstein product at the end)

it is rather meant for you to check if i forgot something

at the end of designing, i would need to find someone that is willing to 3D print it as a concept to check if everything works (probably not right from the 1st shot)

+ if possible someone willing to water jet cut sheets to test the extension

then i might need help to make it as easy as possible to build

with written and/or video guides + removing as much work as possible for method work

(between the model and the production, slicing the 3D models and having a good G code)

and then the dream is to see it used by reviewers and customized with their colors and logos ^^

makerbot.jpghrtjsjyfrk_by_nagby-d967otz.png

INTRODUCTION

it could be used for xOC, repairs and reviews/tests

each of those 3 usages need quick and easy adding and removing of components (lowest number of screws possible, or other "long in time" attachment systems)

xOC would also ask to withstand a heavy ln2 bucket and the frost it produces

i think about standing 50kg on the motherboard side, for the heaviest components and a security if you choose to sit on it or something

and i don't think ABS plastic is really vulnerable against frost, so this shouldn't be a real problem

(update : it might be, but i saw that xOC didn't really needed a "case" or anything, so it isn't really meant for that anymore)

it would have to be disassemble-able so you could transport it more easily (but again, quick to disassemble and put back together)

the maximum size when disassembled would be an EATX mobo surface + 15mm of border and 100mm of thickness

and a maximum of 6 separated pieces, again with lowest amout of screws as possible

(update : i didn't really tryed to work on that, i don't think it is that important, but it's still doing fine on this aspect)

it would have to support as many components as possible

SSI EEB mobos

longest ATX PSUs and SFX

largest coolers and GPUs (that isn't really a problem on a test bench if the weight is supported)

for drives, 3x 5,25"/3,5" or 6x 2,5"

as many fans as possible around the motherboard area

it would have to help making a clear cable management, not clean, but easy to understand where goes which cable

as small as possible plastic parts so it could be printed on "small" 3D printers

as least as possible standard parts (screws, nuts, washer, ...) the best would be none, but maybe that won't be possible

UPDATE 1 03/05

a little drawing : (full size : http://goo.gl/0w6fmT)

untitled_by_nagby-d8rzs6s.png

first i said this topic would end with a spreadsheet, but no, it will end with the files to print it

and the final product could change this spreadsheet a little, it's just a vague guide of what to do

for now, here is it

capture_by_nagby-d8rzv1m.png

UPDATE 2 27/07

this update wasn't supposed to take that much time, but at least i did it ^^

i had to change a little bit the specifications

- there will be no fan support, because it would have been too difficult to do only with 3d printed parts and you would be better off buying those bendable arms for fans blowing toward the motherboard/GPUs and just lay watercooling radiators around

- the 100x100x100 max part volum was way too restrictiv and would have asked tons of parts and attachment systems, so now, it need at least a 185x185x185mm printer, which still is possible to get fairly cheap like this http://goo.gl/iX6LFr

and i did all the tiny attachement parts, the main frame will be next

here you can see the motherboard and PCI brakets in black

5,25" 3,5" and 2x 2,5" in green

PSU in red (also added support for SFX format, as it didn't asked too much modifications)

in light blue and purple is all the printed parts

full size render : http://goo.gl/iZBqZq

720p_by_nagby-d9303hn.png

for now, it should have a maximum of 66 parts for 1 test bench

with the main frame in 8 parts + the middle wall

the PCI holder + 9 thighteners

2 parts to hold the PSU

8 mobo stand + 4 thighteners

12 5,25"/3,5"/2,5" holders + 3x 3,5" adaptors + 6x 2,5" adaptors

and 12 cable holders

but for example, if you just want to hole an itx mobo with 2 PCI braket GPU no drive, and don't need to hold cables

you only need 18 parts

UPDATE 3 02/08

i just thought about a cool use for this test bench, which was right against my eyes all the time, as it is what linustechtips do...

>rig testing

which imply the need to swap components quickly and easily

and one cool feature that i will try to make work is to have a "case airflow simulating crate"

which would restrict the air comming to the components on the top (i don't think drives/PSU temps are that important to measure as it was in a case)

over that crate thing, i just need to tweak the PCI fixations a bit

and here is a render of the test bench in LTT skin ^^

full resolution : http://orig00.deviantart.net/dc80/f/2015/213/e/c/update_3_507_by_nagby-d93s8p9.png

720_by_nagby-d93s8o5.png

UPDATE 4 04/08

mostly weight reduction

http://orig09.deviantart.net/b6c7/f/2015/216/c/d/turntable_by_nagby_d946rku_wmv_by_nagby-d946s0d.webm

UPDATE 5 08/08

more weight reduction + homogenous structur (for strengh and also a bit for looks) and better buttons+leds placement

that is mostly done, without the "airflow crate" (which will bring back fan support that disapeared on update 2 ^^)

thought that crate is an extension

that mean, it will have it's own options + it will ask a new production mean : water jet cutting

http://orig00.deviantart.net/b43d/f/2015/219/e/e/turtable_5_ltt_by_nagby-d94opcz.webm

3D printing theorical results : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81HnTZjTpw6NjgzeWFDZE5xREU/view

what's important : 

in low quality :   $16,00  910g   43h   (almost 2 days)

in high quality : $27,50  1500g 185h (almost 8 days)

with a price of 19,61$/kg (from here)

UPDATE 6 18/08

airflow crate started (normally there is just covers and covers holders to add, but there could be some things i forgot)
and i might redo the buttons/leds so that they could be on the table, on the crate, or just laying around

update_6_3_by_nagby-d967j1i.png

the crate will be possible to do in plexiglass (PMMA) 5mm water jet cutted sheets
or in aluminum sheets (1,5mm) or in steel (1mm)

the crate can stand that cooling :
front 2x140mm or 3x120mm
left/right 2x140mm or 2x120mm both
back 1x140mm or 1x120mm
top 4x140mm or 4x120mm
and all sides should stand at least a 30mm thick radiator +1 fan thickness (so 55mm total)
except for the top which will only stand fans if everything is full (harder to put heavy rads on top anyway)
but you could put more, for example if the GPUs aren't too long and the motherboard is "only" EATX, the front could be push/pull
same if there isn't 10 PCI slots used (the PCI holder have only 8 slots, but you can have a 3 slot card on the last motherboard slot)

UPDATE 7 21/08

design is done (but there might be little modifications after everything is checked)
here is the test bench with all option and an Okami skin ^^

you can compare with first sketch :P
untitled_by_nagby-d8rzs6s.png

so, after it is checked, i will update the production files (.stl to print and G-code for cutting the crate + the excel with all datas)
then the guides to make it

here is how the crate look in steel 1mm thick (min) : http://orig03.deviantart.net/0f0f/f/2015/233/0/c/untitled_29_by_nagby-d96l02w.png
and here in 15mm thick (max) glass if you want to go full retard, but never do that : http://orig00.deviantart.net/af95/f/2015/233/1/b/untitled_27_by_nagby-d96l03p.png

UPDATE 8 23/08

i started to think about production, but i would need help
to have an overall idea of what to be careful about for 3D printing and 2D cutting and materials
and also find someone who is willing to make a prototype and give feedback about what is right or wrong, ajustments and anything to note about the real object

the "public" production will have 3 "difficulty" levels
from the hardest but more flexible and already available to the easiest but fixed and not ready for a while
and also updates versions of the guide and time/cost estimation (which i'll call the documentation)

here are the levels :

HARD
what you have to do : adapt the models to your choosed manufacturing technics
flexibility : unlimited (possible to completely change the design)
files : solidworks .SLDPRT and .SLDASM
done (but some things will change after the first tests) : https://goo.gl/7WmqBh

MEDIUM 
what you have to do : slice the 3D files for your printer and convert the 2D drawings to your machine code
files : .stl for 3D printing and .dxf for 2D cutting
flexibility : most common printer, cutting machines and materials useable (any option choices)
soon fully available (but some things will change after the first tests) stl dxf

EASY
what you have to do : transfer the files to the purposed machines
files : .gcode (or similar specific to the machine)
flexibility : specific materials and machines only (little number of options choices)
started but nothing tested and no possible test in sight
preview : 

documentations are in a too early state to mean anything, but here are previews
time/cost estimation : https://goo.gl/ZB11nh
and both will be ported to google docs for easier sharing and exchanges between me and users of the documentation

Everything looks very good ,

I think that 2 3.5' and 2-4 2.5' is better , you will never need more than 2 big hhd's and 2 ssd's .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

well i could put like 3 or 4 bays that can be 3,5" or 2"5 each

but no 5,25 at all?

(i will think about thaa later thought)

now i searched what would be the limitations of the 3D printing, with a pretty affordable printer as example (3DSYSTEMS CUBE3)

it have a maximum volume of 150x150x150mm, and a precision of 0,07mm, at a speed of ~10mm/s (that isn't really a limitation, but it would tell how long it would take to make the complete product)

and of course, ABS plastic (it should also be possible to print it in PLA, but i won't check if it will be working in every conditions)

edit : i will try to make it possible with any printer, so the worst specs are

0,25mm precision and 100x100x100mm of volume (at this precision, speed is higher, ~100mm/s)

• 2 months later...

I would love one of these any interest in producing some for sale?

I would love one of these any interest in producing some for sale?

well, i don't really have the means for that 

and that is a part of why i did it 3D printable

i will make the concept, then try to see with some peoples that have a 3D printer what to improve (because it's hard to know how everything will turn out only for CAD)

then i'll do guides on how to make it with any printers

so, i won't really sell anything, 

with what i have now, it would cost $40~50 to make (for 2kg of plastic filament, not all the 2kg will be used thought, but it will be over 1kg)

and you would need a printer that can do a volume of at least 180x180x180 (those can be found for ~$500 at this time)

• 2 weeks later...

little sneak peek of the buttons and leds holder :P

because i like how it turned out to have that pretty cool shape without me doing anything about the look

it just has to be this shape to do what it has to do

untitled_19_by_nagby-d96dgbh.png

• 1 month later...

update 8,1

there has been no update lately because 1 i got back to school 2 there isn't much left to do without the first prototype

but i'll try to get able to use one of the school's 3D printer to print a sample of most of the critical ajustment parts

you can get the gcode for this sample here if you can try it as well : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81HnTZjTpw6d2NLWVhHb1BrdDQ/view

• 2 months later...

well, since last update i have been able to experience a bit with a 3D printer (free to use in my school) and i did some tiny tests as well

untitled_by_nagby-d9lnq9c.jpg

untitled_by_nagby-d9lnqap.jpg

as you can see it isn't great

but now that i know more about 3D printing i should bne able to redesign it completely to make it possible (use of cheap, and easy to find in large amount materials for large parts, and 3D print for joint)

when i have time, so probably next summer