Is the t5i 18-55mm IS STM lens versatile enough or would something like the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM be a better suit for the EOS 700D/t5i?

Go to solution Solved by bob345,

i think you will find the wider 18mm focal range a bit more useful. The 18-55 stm kit lens is actually quite good given its cost. Cannon L glass will be better quality, but the lack of any focal length under 24mm would not make it as versatile at least on a crop sensor camera. If you want, i can post some examples that i took using the 18-55 stm.

I would suspect that the L lens would be a better lens just because it has L glass but which is a more versatile suit for semi-professional shots. I wonder this because obviously I'm still fairly new to this realm though I think I feel comfortable learning on a more expensive lens but again I'm mostly looking for versatility more than anything. (Well the obvious ability to control aperture, etc. Which a DSLR does anyways (well depending on the lens I suppose.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Do you already own the 18-55?

Do you already own the 18-55?

No, I would be either buying just the body and a lens (Probably L since that's their like best glass they have [or at least as it would sound and looks]) or getting the 18-55 in a kit with the body. Though watching some reviews of the 24-105mm f/4 it seems that a faster aperture would be desirable for doing like bokeh or a shallow dof.

L glass used to be the name for their premium lens, but it's very skeptical, since recent additions to the L series has been not as good quality.

I would personally go for both of them, to be a bit more versatile, although if you could pick only one i would go with the L lens, which is pretty good on it's own.

L glass used to be the name for their premium lens, but it's very skeptical, since recent additions to the L series has been not as good quality.

I shouldn't worry too much about this, since this lens is a bit older and comes with the 5Dmk3 since that came out, form the reviews i read the lens is pretty decent for its price, compared to certain newer ones.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I would personally go for both of them, to be a bit more versatile, although if you could pick only one i would go with the L lens, which is pretty good on it's own.

I shouldn't worry too much about this, since this lens is a bit older and comes with the 5Dmk3 since that came out, form the reviews i read the lens is pretty decent for its price, compared to certain newer ones.

I figure that Canon has better glass than what they give you in the 18-55mm unless the family that lens is from is now their more premium line. I would either have to do the body + 18-55mm kit or body only with a different lens... 

No, I would be either buying just the body and a lens (Probably L since that's their like best glass they have [or at least as it would sound and looks]) or getting the 18-55 in a kit with the body. Though watching some reviews of the 24-105mm f/4 it seems that a faster aperture would be desirable for doing like bokeh or a shallow dof.

I'd buy the 18-55 so you can see which focal length you prefer.

You can sell the 18-55 on eBay if you know which focal length suits you better.

f/4 isn't that great anyway.

I figure that Canon has better glass than what they give you in the 18-55mm unless the family that lens is from is now their more premium line. I would either have to do the body + 18-55mm kit or body only with a different lens... 

i would start with the 18-55mm then, it's a good way too start and experiment between wide and zoom/small and if you feel like moving to a certain area you can always take this as back up or sell it and get the other lens.

I'd buy the 18-55 so you can see which focal length you prefer.

You can sell the 18-55 on eBay if you know which focal length suits you better.

f/4 isn't that great anyway.

i would start with the 18-55mm then, it's a good way too start and experiment between wide and zoom/small and if you feel like moving to a certain area you can always take this as back up or sell it and get the other lens.

From some sample images with the EF 18-200mm f/3.5 I sort of like it but again that slower aperture plagues it even though it's a half step faster than the one I mentioned prior, and it's the same as the kit lens. The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II looks to be like most versatile I can get on the EF mount ....   ._.  

Though I figure that the Chromatic Aberration could be corrected in photoshop (most likely)... Though it would be cheaper to go with the 18-55mm kit... So meh idk...

From some sample images with the EF 18-200mm f/3.5 I sort of like it but again that slower aperture plagues it even though it's a half step faster than the one I mentioned prior, and it's the same as the kit lens. The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II looks to be like most versatile I can get on the EF mount ....   ._.  

Though I figure that the Chromatic Aberration could be corrected in photoshop (most likely)... Though it would be cheaper to go with the 18-55mm kit... So meh idk...

does the T5i actually have lens profils within it's firmware?

if so things like chromatic abdoration and all other hussle mentoined before gets corrected quite a bit by your system directly, which helps alot with the 18-200mm.

From some sample images with the EF 18-200mm f/3.5 I sort of like it but again that slower aperture plagues it even though it's a half step faster than the one I mentioned prior, and it's the same as the kit lens.

This lens is almost unuseable at the widest apperture

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/400-canon_18200_3556is?start=1

This lens is almost unuseable at the widest apperture

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/400-canon_18200_3556is?start=1

got to admit this one, you need to avoid the lowest F number(widest aperture) at all costs, i have noticed that when i use my 1200D(t6i?) on P the lowest aperture used is F5.6, even the system it's self knows it's bad.

Although im personally not a real fan of laboratory tests like these, i got to agree on them completely this time.

i think you will find the wider 18mm focal range a bit more useful. The 18-55 stm kit lens is actually quite good given its cost. Cannon L glass will be better quality, but the lack of any focal length under 24mm would not make it as versatile at least on a crop sensor camera. If you want, i can post some examples that i took using the 18-55 stm.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Okay yeah, I was starting to think that perhaps the 18-55 will get me acquainted to everything and when I can truly afford to drop essentially triple the cost of the actual camera itself I could consider upgrading to a better body and lens. Of course if I really felt the need for more focal length. Tamron or Sigma would be decent options to look at. 

Also @Bsmith the EOS 1200D I think is the T5... The t6i is the 750D...

Frankly I'd consider doing the EOS 750D/t6i 18-135mm kit though that's $1,100 on Amazon. (Not really sure the 18-55mm kit on the t6i is worth spending more when a similar body and lens can be had for a couple hundred less...) I wonder why Canon has a different naming scheme in North America. Is it perhaps we don't like numbers? Though I suppose Canon calls it something different in their home country too... So yeah...