Look Up. Would You Like To Try It?

RedSphyxis

An old video I watched 8 months ago, most of you probably saw this already. But I wanted to share it here for some who haven't seen it yet and my experiences after following the advice. So it's about the cancer of Social Media and how it affects our lives and what kind of life we might have missed by simply not looking up.

I re-watched this a few months ago, and my experiences so far were really amazing after following the advice in the video. I've made tons of friends in places where you'd never expect to make one. I met great people with their own stories to share and advice to give on how to tackle life. I've been more active outside and found new hobbies and rekindled some lost ones.

All I did was simply keep social media inside my house.

Ofc the video has it's flaws social media isn't really bad. It's one of the most revolutionary things in our entire history. I still do spend time on social media like I used to before but when I'm outside I always keep my hands off my phone as much as possible. When I make eye contact I won't look away, instead I would just smile maybe a simple greeting and be on my way.(note that smiling to strangers can have varying results depending on culture)

I know some of you want change in your life big or small. This is one of them would you even try this at all?

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I'm genuinely scared that future generations won't know how to talk to eachother. 

that video is fucking dumb.

"social media is bad", "people who let their kids use technology are dumb", then it starts talking about having kids and becoming a grandfather??? 

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Stupid stereotypical adults being paid to say shit that they don't know anything about.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

that video is fucking dumb.

"social media is bad", "people who let their kids use technology are dumb", then it starts talking about having kids and becoming a grandfather??? 

That video never said any of that it's simply trying to entice viewers to live more of life and be outgoing rather than hiding behind a screen all the time. The grandfather part is a way to convince you what kind of "butterfly effect" keeping your phone in your pocket can have in you life.

And you are a bad parent when you can't even entertain your own child without leaving him/her with an iPad. I mean what's wrong with playing peek-a-boo? or playing hide and seek with your child?

I remember playing hide and seek with my parents and it's a memory I'm very fond of.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Well, talking in person is important but if (let's say) we live far from each other it would be a waste of time just to see in person. Just send an email or chat in social media, it's faster but addiction is another story....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

10 years ago:

Mom: "Stop being on that chat room and go out and meet people instead"

Now:

Mom: "Why aren't you on Facebook? Everyone uses that to chat these days"

Funny how things change...

My response to the video:

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

-Bertrand Russell

I don't really see how someone can say you are wasting time on your computer, or that your life will be better if you do something else. Since we only have a very short life why not do what we really feel doing during it? You might enjoy having a conversation with someone, or reading a book more than playing a game, but the same might not apply to me. Who decided that reading a book is somehow less a waste of a time than playing a game?

-Bertrand Russell

Love this saying! May I steal this and use this as my sig?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Social media is not necessarily a cancer, that's a very grandiose statement. What would people be doing if social media wasn't a thing? they'd still be in IRC chatrooms and spending hours writing letters and emails to people instead. People are social creatures (generally speaking - I am very much not a social creature) and sometimes social media is the only way to communicate with someone who is on the other side of the planet. If you're calling a concept of interconnectivity over the internet a cancer, then you may as well call the internet itself a cancer. It isn't. Of course, that doesn't mean that we should just shut ourselves into our phones and text all the time, spending time in the real world is important, but that doesn't automatically make social media evil or bad. The only way you could assume that something like this is "bad" is because of the excessive extent to which some very obsessively social people (stereotypical American high school girls, for one) use them.

It's not a cancer. I don't like using social media for reasons of my own, and I don't have a smartphone, but I don't consider them bad.

My solution to social media : Don't use social media.

I have no use for it, if I need to talk to someone, I call them or see them in person. And if somehow can't be arsed to do the same for me, then they ain't worth my time.

I was so sick of getting facebook invite from everybody that I just created a custom filter that deletes everything pertaining to facebook.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 years ago:

Mom: "Stop being on that chat room and go out and meet people instead"

Now:

Mom: "Why aren't you on Facebook? Everyone uses that to chat these days"

Funny how things change...

-Bertrand Russell

I don't really see how someone can say you are wasting time on your computer, or that your life will be better if you do something else. Since we only have a very short life why not do what we really feel doing during it? You might enjoy having a conversation with someone, or reading a book more than playing a game, but the same might not apply to me. Who decided that reading a book is somehow less a waste of a time than playing a game?

Yeah, I agree with this. Don't teach kids like your parent taught you in the past because back then is different from today....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Social media, the tool that isn't inherently good or bad that people would rather blame their personal shortcomings on because the device made them do it. Personal shortcomings regarding social media usage of other people, the idea that the reason that the girl on the other side of the bus wants nothing to do with you is because she is addicted to her phone and doesn't know how to hold a conversation. People know how to hold a conversation if they want to. Take the hint, not everyone wants to. Sometimes you are the person on the bus that everyone wishes would shut up so they can relax after a day of work.

I came into this thread expecting it to be a game, I was disappointed :(

To be honest, I just think it's another evolution in the way our society operates, nothing more nothing less.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Stupid video :P

Pretty much beat me to this pic: Nothing but social and extroverted people trying to force what they personally find enjoyable on others. I don't need to chit chat strangers, I will make social connections if and when I fucking want to

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like the points he made and the story he told, 

the music was very dramatic, 

by the end I was sold.  

(See what I did there?)

No but seriously, it was neat.  I do appreciate his sentiment.  I don't have a social media account (unless this forum and YouTube counts). No FaceBook, Instagram, SnapChat (whatever that is), Pinterest, Twitter.  That stuff just isn't for me.  I don't dislike them as products, they can be useful sometimes.  But I hate what they do to people.  Most every one I've met that has a Facebook account has stated at some point "I hate it."  Yet they use it anyway.  People get consumed by that stuff and are willing to put up with things they admittedly hate in exchange for a really weird nearly-false sense of community and togetherness.  What's really happening is that they're forgetting how to communicate and losing touch with reality.

I don't fight it or ridicule people for using social media sites, it's just the way it is.  That being said, he does kinda make it overly dramatic. It's not really that bad en masse. 

I'm genuinely scared that future generations won't know how to talk to eachother. 

I'm genuinely scared of that, as well.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm genuinely scared of that, as well.

So am i.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

I should have added a poll well its probably too late.