Google reportedly paid Adblock Plus not to block its ads

Google has reportedly paid the makers of Adblock Plus, the single most popular browser extension on Chrome and Firefox, to look the other way when it comes to its web advertisements. According to the German news site Horizont, Google and other unnamed companies are paying to be included on a "whitelist" that prevents their pop-ups, banners, and display ads from being blocked by the free service.

In an FAQ page on the Adblock Plus website, Eyeo notes that it offers whitelisting under its Acceptable Ads initiative for free to smaller websites. The Acceptable Ads whitelist, which has been in place since at least 2011, argues that unobtrusive ads should remain viewable as long as they aren't annoying.

Eyeo also argues that it has a reason for charging others for the special treatment. "Managing this list requires significant effort on our side and this task cannot be completely taken over by volunteers," the FAQ says. "That's why we are being paid by some larger properties that serve nonintrusive advertisements."

Source : http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/5/4496852/adblock-plus-eye-google-whitelist

Personally i don't mind ads as long it is not annoying and popup every 2 seconds.

It's known the makers do that. They tell you they don't block all ads. But you can set it to block all of them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well, yeah, it's not like they wouldn't want to make anything off it when it's so widespread.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

As long as they stop the huge pre-roll ads that you have to watch the whole thing on youtube. I don't care.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

That sounds like a good idea because Adblock Plus is the only ad blocking extension and no one could possibly create another one in one day to block all the ads...

Seriously Google, if you want me to watch ads, fine, but don't put fucking sound in them...

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

you could block the google ads its not a problem ....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

How many people use Adblock. Use use it all the time but I do leave the Google adverts on because I think Google should get something at least for me using their browser and their services but that is about it I block everything else that gets in my way.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I hate popup ads. When i'm browsing,suddenly 'You have won an iphone' .Ruin the experience.